Author Topic: Dan Curtis' FRANKENSTEIN airs Sat. 7/27 on AMC.  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dan Curtis' FRANKENSTEIN airs Sat. 7/27 on AMC.
« on: July 25, 2002, 11:16:48 AM »
For those who haven't seen this 1973 Dan Curtis production, it's worth watching. It's shot on video, co-stars John Karlen, features many familiar music cues by Robert Cobert and a script co-written by Sam Hall.

The ending quotes both DCs Jekyll and Hyde and HODS. You'll know when you see it. :o

Of course, this is according to my TV Guide. It's listed in a 3 hr 20 min time slot at 9PM PT. The program is a just over two hours, so expect commercial breaks.

D

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Re: Dan Curtis' FRANKENSTEIN airs Sat. 7/27 on AMC.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 02:28:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Darren. I checked my TV guide and it airs here in the Chicagoland area at 11:30 pm. Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 03:56:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Darren.  In Orlando, it's scheduled for 12:25 a.m.  (I have it on VHS, so I probably won't watch--but it's well worth watching, esp. for those who've never seen it.)

I see that MPI is releasing a 4-disc Dan Curtis Macabre DVD collection at the end of August, with DRACULA, JEKYLL/HYDE, DORIAN GRAY and TURN OF THE SCREW--but no FRANKENSTEIN.

Any idea why no FRANKENSTEIN?

Brian

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2002, 04:38:53 AM »
I could not find it in my tv guide. :( .  I'll set my clock for 12:30 to see if it is on the same time as Orlando.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 06:20:07 AM »
BTW- KLS is in "Turn Of The Screw" as the ghost of Miss Jessel.  This is ironic, considering how she played the Lynn Redgrave part of the confused governess TWICE on DS- first with the Quentin/Beth story, then the Daphne Gerard story!  Also, John Karlen is in the DC production of "Frankenstein", which had a SAM HALL teleplay.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2002, 07:40:26 AM »
RATS!!  It's the NBC-TV movie with Leonard Whiting and Michael Sarrazin as the creature!  Oh well, at least there's Jane Seymour as the "Eve" of the story.

Offline Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 08:08:34 AM »
Seems odd that AMC had a promo for "Frankenstein" starring Robert Foxworth, right before "Frankenstein: The True Story" was broadcast.  Obviously,  someone at the network got their wires crossed!  

In thinking about this, did both movies come out at about the same time?  I remember "The True Story" broadcast on NBC as a 2 part special.  Was the DC version part of an ABC Late Night special?  Somehow, I recall that it aired in the middle of the night.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2002, 02:32:47 PM »
I think it was an insidious plot concocted by AMC as part of the Enron Scandal and the Masonic involvement in trying to impose the New World Order.  Either that, or somebody at AMC just goofed.  Anyway, the NBC miniseries was a decent production in and of itself, but I didn't stay up to watch it regardless.  We'll just hafta keep our eyes peeled to see if AMC does air the DC version.

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2002, 05:12:07 PM »
Actually, I was glad to see FRANKENSTEIN - THE TRUE STORY because I haven't seen it since its first airing, and I remembered it as being pretty decent. I watched the first hour of it and recorded the rest, since, by then, my old bones were growing weary. Will probably watch the rest of it today. The part I did watch matches my memory exactly; looking forward to seeing more.

Still, it's annoying as hell that AMC runs an entirely different movie from what they advertise -- and even their promo 30 seconds before the start of the film was for the DC version. It makes it a bit difficult to trust their program schedule. They did the same thing a few months ago with GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA; instead of the superior 1964 version, they ran the newer, 1992 G VS. M. A bit easier to understand, given the titles, but still -- one would hope their programmers would do a spot of double-checking before they list something on their schedule.

[shadow=black,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2002, 06:35:51 PM »
After programming our VCR's(one tape for me and one for a friend) to watch John Karlen in Frankenstein, what do I see  :-/   but James Mason and a host of other distinguished British actors/actresses.

So, I went over to AMC/tv.com and sent an email to their complaint department.  I may or may not get an answer but at least I feel better.

Now, off to church to repent my sins with no gloves or hat!  ;D
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2002, 09:04:10 PM »
So, I went over to AMC/tv.com and sent an email to their complaint department.  I may or may not get an answer but at least I feel better.

I've sent a number of emails to AMC-TV for various reasons, and it usually takes a while, but I've always received a personal response addressing the issue.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2002, 10:29:37 PM »
Too bad AMC goofed in their programming announcements, but FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY is more than a fair trade-off, and I hope some of you stuck with it.

DC's FRANKENSTEIN is interesting and has a moment or two, but F:TTS is a rich, brilliant work, far surpassing the other in my opinion. The cast is terrific and James Mason is deliciously evil. The full-length version has never been available on video (only a cut down one) and screens rarely.

DC's FRANKENSTEIN was a two-parter and I believe it aired that way originally and was also rerun in one part for late night TV.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2002, 11:20:13 PM »
Just finished watching the tape from last nite, and DC or no, I thought it was really good! [I did keep waiting for Karlen, tho] - but the whole cast of this one was amazing - A Man from UNCLE, a Dr. Who, A Lady Doctor [LOVED the wet t-shirt scenes![evilg]], a Petofi Imitator, two crazy comedy relief ladies [loved the little bo-peep scene!], the old dude from 'Give My Regards To Broad Street' [I'm SURE you all saw that [rollb]]a scene from Titanic, lots of Acid, A Mortica Addams look-a-like, and a Border Collie! That 'walk thru the cemetary' intro was pretty weird! [And almost as many laughs as The Abbott and Costello version on this morning! - DC shoulda used a touch of animation on DS!]

Thanks for the 'false alarm' anyway - I don't think I had ever seen that before!

Figaro!
Ringo   [jester]

ps - the dude that was the AMC 'host' before and after the movie used to be the host on a show called 'Super Collectors' and he was actually broadcasting from my house one day, to show my Beatles collection!  [see also Tour Ringo's Pad thread....]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2002, 09:21:32 PM »
Frankenstein: the true story instantly became one of my favorite movies when it first aired, and I was thrilled with this opportunity to see it again.  I know I saw a rebroadcast at least once in the mid 70s, but it's close to 30 years since I last got to see it.

It is one of those projects that is ripe for restoration on DVD.  A truncated 2 hour version was shown in European theatres.  It is clear that there was even more in the original director's cut above and beyond the 3 hour version that AMC showed on Sat.

Curiously, Leonard Whiting stopped acting almost immediately after completing this picture.  I wonder why?  His gorgeous nude scene in Romeo and Juliet remains a benchmark for luscious male pulchritude in the cinema (plus, I thought he was a wonderfully expressive actor, both as Romeo and as Victor Frankenstein).

Gothick

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2002, 10:58:04 PM »
Actually, I was glad to see FRANKENSTEIN - THE TRUE STORY because I haven't seen it since its first airing, and I remembered it as being pretty decent. I watched the first hour of it and recorded the rest, since, by then, my old bones were growing weary. Will probably watch the rest of it today. The part I did watch matches my memory exactly; looking forward to seeing more.

Still, it's annoying as hell that AMC runs an entirely different movie from what they advertise -- and even their promo 30 seconds before the start of the film was for the DC version. It makes it a bit difficult to trust their program schedule. They did the same thing a few months ago with GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA; instead of the superior 1964 version, they ran the newer, 1992 G VS. M. A bit easier to understand, given the titles, but still -- one would hope their programmers would do a spot of double-checking before they list something on their schedule.

The '64 "Godzilla vs. Mothra" was the very first Godzilla movie I saw, and from that moment I was hooked on the jolly green giant stomping away at plastic duplicates of Tokyo and other sundry Japanese metropolises.  When I saw the '64 film, however, it was then-named "Godzilla vs. the Thing".

I prefer my Godzilla as he was in those earlier films (Godzilla, King of the Monsters; Gigantis the Fire Monster; King Kong vs. Godzilla; Godzilla vs. Mothra) when he was evil.  I never cared much for him when he became a hero, saving Japanese children (with the help of his smoke-ring-blowing son Minya [aka Tadzilla]; where the heck was the Mrs.?) from other rubber-suited creatures of earth and sky.  The one positive thing about his 1990's resurrection was that they made him evil again.

I had the chance to see the original, first production, "Gojira" (Godzilla's name in Japanese), sans Perry Mason, with all the uncut scenes and subtitles at a film festival.  Even though the Raymond Burr Americanized version is truly eerie and powerful, it pales in comparison to the authentic thing, an around-three-hour epic.

Gerard