Author Topic: Today's Julia-7/23  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Julia-7/23
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2002, 04:43:57 PM »
I'm not surprised to find Sicilians among the fans of this show......

We're such fatalistic people.....we treat Death like a personal adversary whom we know intimately.  We're not "too rational" to believe in "otherworldly entities" shall we say?  

Mostly I think it's because this is, after all, a soap opera and we love stories on the grand scale of opera....life, death, witches, demons, lovers, enemies, Good, Evil.....yep, that's us!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2002, 06:08:30 PM »
My husband (Irish ancestry) and I were both raised Catholic.  He's from Massachusetts and I'm from New York.  And I remember when I was first married - about 100 yrs ago  ;) , talking about the Italian feasts - you know the ones where the saint "dances"?  I think it may be San Gennaro.  My husband looked at me incredulously and said, "Does the Pope know about this?"   :D

Franimal

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2002, 10:28:39 PM »
Julia, that's an interesting point about Julia's smoking on the show.  For me, her smoking types her more as a "professional" and a member of the medical profession, than as bad ... though her character was definitely morally ambivalent (and continues to be so as the show continues).

There are still a couple scenes where Julia smokes. The one I remember best is in the cottage--great camerawork in that (pretty extraordinary given that they were more or less just making it up as they went along).

Today, it seems like a death-knell if a character is seen smoking on network tv.  You know, they light up a cigarette and 10 seconds later they get run over by a mack truck.  The only exception I've noticed (I don't really watch network TV anymore) is Justin on Queer as Folk.

Steve

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2002, 10:58:43 PM »
Spike on Buffy smokes...unless, of course, he quits 'cuz he's got a soul now... ::)

Oh, but why not smoke when you're already dead?!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...