Author Topic: Our deep, dark obsession with Vampires  (Read 741 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Our deep, dark obsession with Vampires
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
As no one else has posted this, the latest issue of USA Weekend featured the cover story "Our love affair with Vampires" and can be found here. DS is mentioned in the article, but the photo of Barnabas and those of many other vamps are not included in the online version (they chose to only include Count Von Count from Sesame Street - what is it with that guy?!  [hall2_rolleyes]), so I scanned and attached the print article to this post. About the only reason to check out the online version is if you're a guest (because guests can't access attachments [hall_sad]) or you want to see the cover photo of Robert Pattinson.

Enjoy!  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Our deep, dark obsession with Vampires
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:51:28 AM »
How odd.  It looks from what I can see of your scan as if they're claiming that Christopher Lee did 12 Dracula films.  But from my own knowledge of his work, I make it seven Hammer feature films, plus El Conde Dracula directed by Jesus Franco in 1969 (produced in Spain, with Klaus Kinski a very disturbing Renfield) and a cameo as Dracula in The Magic Christian. 

I'm again very surprised that Barnabas was included at all in such an article.  It's almost starting to remind me of "that year of insanity, 1968"--everytime I turn around, I see Barnabas!  Nice to see this surge in his popularity!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »
Thanks so much for the scan, MB!

How odd.  It looks from what I can see of your scan as if they're claiming that Christopher Lee did 12 Dracula films.  But from my own knowledge of his work, I make it seven Hammer feature films, plus El Conde Dracula directed by Jesus Franco in 1969 (produced in Spain, with Klaus Kinski a very disturbing Renfield) and a cameo as Dracula in The Magic Christian.

There was 1975's "Vem var Dracula?"-- a Swedish documentary; also "Cuadecuc (Vampir)"-- a documentary about the making of Franco's movie, and a quick cameo in the comedy "One More Time," both from 1970.  His last appearance as the Count was in "Dracula and Son" ("Dracula Père et Fils") in 1976.  Hmm, I must've overstated because that makes 13.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »
Thanks so much for this.  It is so great to be back @ the boards! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/