Author Topic: Boards mired in quicksand?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Boards mired in quicksand?
« on: July 24, 2002, 01:00:09 AM »
Hey Midnite, MB,

Is it just me, or is there a problem with the boards slowing to a crawl? The last two days, it's taking longer and longer to access them, and as of this writing, it takes about two minutes for a topic to open once selected. Earlier today, the boards never opened at all; when I tried to log in, the screen just hung there until I gave up.

Same problem on two different computers in different locations.

A trace route doesn't seem to indicate a particular problem, although there are packet losses at hop 17:

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boards mired in quicksand?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 02:12:06 AM »
This is going to sound strange, Mark, but I'm so glad this is happening to you too!  ;D

I've been having problems with the forum since last Thursday but wasn't sure what was causing them because when I asked Midnite if she was having any, she said she hasn't been experiencing any.

Now here's where things get complicated:

Whenever I've tried to access the forum using AOL, I've gotten through without a problem.

My local ISP switched to new servers last week, and we've all had to migrate our accounts. Shortly after I made the move was when I started having problems. But the old servers are still active, and whenever I connect through them, once again I can get through without a problem. So, I contacted my ISP and asked if there could be some sort of problem with the new servers. But, of course, when they tried to access the forum, they got through almost instantly. And sure enough, after I got off the phone with them and connected, I got through without a problem. However, today I haven't been able to get through at all and have gone back to using the old servers.

And as if all that wasn't hard enough to understand, at different points during the past few days, I could get through to the forum but not our Web space, or I could get through to the Web space and not the forum, or I couldn't get through to either, or I could get through to both. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to whatever the hell is going on! But through all of this, Midnite continues to have no problems at all!  :-/

What I'm going to do is e-mail both the forum's host and my ISP and send them a copy of your Ping Plotter Graph. And I'm going to plot one of my own. Hopefully with those, one or both of them will be able to decipher the problem because I've been at a complete loss to understand it. (And after they were able to get through instantly, I think my ISP really thought I was hallucinating or smoking crack! [lghy] But now I have solid proof that the problem isn't just affecting me. [wink2])

I'll try to keep everyone informed...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 02:45:49 AM »
Well, no surprise that when I just ran a trace, I didn't find any problems - and now, for me anyway, access to the forum is working perfectly.  :-/  But if things run true to form for the last few days, this new found ease of getting through probably won't last...

It's terrible to hope that the problem comes back. But if it doesn't, I'm not going to be able to convince anyone that it existed in the first place. Though if it is gone for good, I suppose that won't be an issue.  :D

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 02:53:02 AM »
When I first signed on, it was taking forever to move along down the road(I was checking my emails while I waited to move from one topic to another) but now it seems to be working much faster.  

Something loosened up.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2002, 03:55:03 AM »
Yesterday was slow.....today was damned near impossible,.... but now at almost 9pm it's fine.

I thought there was a problem with the private messages....for days I've had no replies to messages sent, nor did it appear they were opened, nor did I receive any new messages.

Then this afternoon 4 messages appeared within minutes of one another, but a test message I sent to a friend (and which she knew to look for) hasn't been opened yet.  

Is this all coincidence or has anyone else reported having a problem?

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 04:34:36 AM »
Navigating did slow to a crawl today for me starting this morning and lasting for a couple of hours, but I was able to receive and send IMs during that time (though waiting for the forums to finish sending them took an eternity).  But I didn't have any problems before that time-- including the past several days-- and I've always been able to access the boards and the webspace, and everything has been working fine for me since this morning's problem.  So whatever went wrong on my end, it only lasted about 2 hours.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2002, 04:38:25 AM »
I thought there was a problem with the private messages....for days I've had no replies to messages sent, nor did it appear they were opened, nor did I receive any new messages.

<snipped>

Is this all coincidence or has anyone else reported having a problem?

No one else has mentioned having any IM problems. And I just checked the system and the 4 messages that are currently in your outbox were all delivered at the time you sent them. :)

I know I still have two IMs that I haven't gotten around to opening because, well, I suppose the reason is obvious...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2002, 04:43:33 AM »
So whatever went wrong on my end, it only lasted about 2 hours.

And everything has been working really well for almost three hours now. That's the longest period of time I've had normal access to everything since last Wednesday! ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2002, 04:55:20 AM »
I know I still have two IMs that I haven't gotten around to opening because, well, I suppose the reason is obvious...

::)  Pepe, I ALWAYS assume you're buried under a pile of e-mail and toubles.....not hearing from YOU wouldn't prompt me to think there was something wrong....well, not for a week or two, anyway......

But I might have to slap Abbeymarch the next time I see her if she just 'forgot' to reply to my test message!!!!

Rainey

Holy Mother....when did I hit 500?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2002, 05:06:05 AM »
Yup, wonder of wonders, this time when I logged in, everything's moving at the normal rate. Hope it keeps up.

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2002, 09:41:57 AM »
I have AOL and I've noticed that the board has been very slow to respond for the last two days now.  Like Mark had stated,  you click on a topic and it takes forever to open up. This only happens in the afternoon with me and I had just assumed that alot of people were trying to access the board all at once.  I never have this problem at night though, it sails right through just fine.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2002, 06:21:47 AM »
I haven't been having any problems.  I usually don't get a chance to do this during the day, but yesterday I did stop by for a short while a little after 1:00 and found it very slow, but assumed that things are busier at that time and perhaps that was why.

However, I tried today a little before 1:00 and couldn't get in at all.  IE came up with the "Page Not Found" and then I tried Netscape and I forget their error message, but neither one could get in at all.  It's fine now, though!
Josette

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2002, 04:51:16 AM »
I usually go thru MSN to get to the Forums. Yesterday
I couldn't. A page came up that said "page not found".
But I could get to the Forums thru Netscape. By
evening I was able to get to the Forums agaib thru
MSN. Today I couldn't get to the Forums thru either
MSN or Netscape. A page came up-I forget exactally
what it said-something about the Forums were not
configured on that server. But now I just got thru on MSN. Weird, huh?