Author Topic: Just Wondering...  (Read 1778 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Just Wondering...
« on: July 23, 2002, 01:33:50 AM »
If Barn went through all the trouble to have one of the Old House's (many) silver candelabrum smelted into silver bullets to kill Tom, then why on earth did he bring a stake and mallet to finish Tom off in the crypt? He could have killed Tom where he stood and have saved Willie a trip to the dry cleaners.

If Julia was out like a light when Barn carried her into the Old House, why was her head not bobbing about like a buoy caught in the tide? Perhaps it was those rotating bite marks that kept her neck stiff as a board?

Why on earth doesn't Barn have that front room chair cushion re-filled? He's just letting the old house go to pot! Perhaps it is filled with 100% down? Yes, that's got to be it! He should look into Mrs. Johnson working for him part-time to fluff up the cushions.

Has David been giving Liz lessons in hiding from Roger? That scene had me smiling from ear to ear.

Am I the only one who tries to guess the climatic music cues to come? I didn't guess a single one correctly today!

What brand of blush does the old Barnster use?

What on earth was Tom doing to the Barnster moments before he  tried to put the bite on him? 'Twas very interesting, no? Tommy obviously "gets off" on this biting thang. Woof, woof.

Since when has "Woman alone, hurrying home" become an acronym for Prostitute? Barny picks the strangest moments to be a gentleman, and with Willie no less?

Why are most of the candles in the Old House blue? I have never in my life seen a blue candle. They don't seem to go with the decor. I'm serious about this. Is there a particular significance for using this color?

Was Liz wearing that blue velvet dress at Wyndcliffe?

Just wondering...

Dom

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Just Wondering...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 03:52:38 AM »
Am I the only one who tries to guess the climatic music cues to come? I didn't guess a single one correctly today!

Ah, someone else who shares my guilty pleasure!  Sometimes I indulge in anticipating music cues.  It feels great when the cue that I anticipate turns out to be the one actually used.  

But when they don't match, I always decide that my choice for the cue was the better one.   ;)

Ben
(whose other guilty pleasure is mentally scoring innocuous events in my day with melodramatic DS music cues -- e.g., I hear someone sigh, "Oh, no, I locked my keys in my car," and I can mentally hear, "DUH - DUH - DAAAAAHHH!!")

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 03:57:42 AM »
Speaking of blue candles, there's a store here and they sell blue candles.  So, I bought 100 of them, they're 5 cents a piece.  Just thought I'd add this in.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 04:05:32 AM »
Why were there blue candles in the Old House---I think this has more to do with the fact that the show was made in the sixties.  Bright, neon, psychdelic colors were in vogue then. IIRC lime green candles were used too.  Everything seemed  more intense then--even the colors. 8)
MM

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 04:23:48 AM »
The blue candles have caught my eye for years now. Very out of place in 1795! I suspect the reason for them is that DC got several cases for a cheap price, but I have never seen that confirmed.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 04:40:51 AM »
BLUE candles

I had blue candles at my wedding two years ago.  Mind you, they were a light pastel blue color, not dark, although, that would of been nice to mix the two.  Went with our color scheme.  

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 07:07:18 AM »
He should look into Mrs. Johnson working for him part-time to fluff up the cushions.

Or even Harry Johnson. I think he would work better with Willie.  ;)

Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 08:04:10 AM »
Speaking of blue candles, there's a store here and they sell blue candles.  So, I bought 100 of them, they're 5 cents a piece.  Just thought I'd add this in.

Terry, you don't happen to have a lab and coffin in your cellar, do you?  :)

Just wondering,
Dom

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2002, 11:45:40 AM »
lol - good point!!!

why not just use the gun - avoid all the nasty mess! :)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2002, 12:20:22 PM »
Ah, Dom, you know that there are many inconsistences on DS, weird sightings, peculiar choices, odd occurences, impossible anachronisms.

If Barnabas had simply shot Tom Jennings, we wouldn't have had that wonderful fight scene that was such a pleasure to watch.  DS rarely did much that was physical, probably because of the small studio space, but when they did, it was always fascinating to watch.

Love, Robin  

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2002, 07:01:47 PM »
Ah...what lab...ah..what coffin?
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2002, 07:50:54 PM »
Regarding the blue candles:

I was thinking that maybe they chose the color blue because it showed up better in B&W. Like maybe white candles created too much glare or something like that. And that they had ten thousand of them and just stuck with them when they went to color.

Dom

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2002, 09:32:32 AM »
Since when has "Woman alone, hurrying home" become an acronym for Prostitute? Barny picks the strangest moments to be a gentleman, and with Willie no less?

LOL!!  I had to laugh at that one myself. As I recall the "ladies of the dock" definetely never looked to be in any kind of hurry to get home to me,  unless of course, they were with someone. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2002, 09:36:48 PM »
Speaking of the Old House decor, that wall paper in the entry bothered me the entire run of the series.  I'm sure Willie could have done something about it with all his handyman talents.  Was Home Depot around in the late 60s?

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2002, 09:50:52 PM »

LOL!!  I had to laugh at that one myself. As I recall the "ladies of the dock" definetely never looked to be in any kind of hurry to get home to me,  unless of course, they were with someone. ;)

They never refer to the prostitutes as such, even though that is clearly what they are intended to be. They won't even use euphamisms like "lady of the evening" or "working girl." Thus Barn's reference to "lonely woman hurrying home." Funny they weren't too concerned about kids having to ask their parents "Mommy what's a vampire/werewolf/ghost/devil/witch/Leviathan" but heaven forbid Jr. ask Mommy "What's a street walker?"
:o