Author Topic: TV Vampire Stakedown  (Read 2643 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
TV Vampire Stakedown
« on: October 16, 2009, 12:15:23 AM »
FYI The Paley Center For Media is conducting a poll of Who is the Greatest TV Vampire of Them All- Barnabas Collins is not looking that good at this moment.

http://paleycenter.org/tv-vampire-stakedown/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: TV Vampire Stakedown
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:22:07 AM »
I don't have time to register on the site and vote in the poll, but I'm shocked that Nick Knight from Forever Knight was overlooked.  And overlooked in favor of some characters that weren't even vampires!

As far as I'm concerned, Barnabas wins among that lot with one onyx-ringed hand tied behind his back...

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
Hi Gothick you don't need to register to vote-just click on the box next to BC and scroll down to the bottom and click on vote. And of course you are so right.

David

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »
 [candle_in_skull_2]
It took me 30 seconds to vote for our Barnabas.
The Classic Horror Film Board has a very active DS thread right now: I'm going to link the poll over there!
(-:
David

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:59:57 AM »
Excellent David. I think Barnabas not being known by the younger folks will greatly hurt his chances but you never know.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:27:16 AM »
I'm surprised Grandpa Munster wasn't in the poll, either (even though I voted for Barnabas, of course).

Gerard

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 12:25:57 AM »
Voted for Barnabas, but I agree there were a lot of vampires ignored--everyone from Forever Knight, as well as Dracula: The Series and of course Young Dracula.

Plus it really should be divided by male and female, t.v. and movie.  IMHO.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »
You mean Barnabas isn't in the lead?!?  Phooey!  He should win this, fangs down.  Those who vote against Barnabas had best beware, lest they incur his wrath and meet a fate involving mortar and bricks.  *shudder*  I voted for Mr. Collins of course.

~Penny~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »
You mean Barnabas isn't in the lead?!?  Phooey!  He should win this, fangs down.

I just took a look at the poll and Barnabas is actually down from where he was Sunday night.  :(  Then he was at 9.2% - now he's 7.96%

I can't say I'm surprised that Angel & Spike and Bill & Eric are beating Barnabas because Buffy/Angel and True Blood have large fanbases online.

Considering they've only aired 6 eps so far, it is interesting to see that the Salvatore brothers of The Vampire Diaries have gone above 1% - though unlike B/A and TB, where bad boy Spike is beating Angel by a large margin and bad boy Eric is beating Bill by a large margin, they're virtually tied...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:46:24 AM »
A few days ago, I read an interview with the guy who plays "Bill" and he expressed interest in doing a sex scene with "Eric Northman" in that show.

I haven't seen it, but if they went THAT route, I just might have to tune in.

Just the fact that Barnabas is in this poll at all is a big surprise, given the fabulous TV vampires who failed to make the, uh, cut (or were edged out by puppets or cartoon characters).  I'm still very surprised at just how much awareness of DS in general there is in the mass media these days.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
Gotchick..I know most TV is horrible...but TRUE BLOOD is a fabulous show.   You gotta watch it!   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »
I see Barnabas is now down to 7.04%. Although, that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't still getting new votes - it only means others are getting more new votes than he is. Even the top two leaders in the poll (Spike and Eric) have slipped since the last time I checked (probably because Angel has climbed significantly).

One thing I was happy to see is that Buffy/Angel's Darla and Drusilla have finally gone above The Count from Sesame Street. Those two women are two of the most fascinating characters ever created, and the fact that a muppet was beating them - no matter how entertaining or educational he may be to children - was a crime!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
I am not sure if 7% voting percentage is acceptable/reasonable for the Barnabas Collins character who has not seen the light of day since 1991 not counting the WB pilot. I would be curious to see how many votes each character actually received. Glad the muppet is behind Darla and Drusilla.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »
The percentages are a good way to guesstimate how each is doing in the poll compared to the others. For example, say we randomly assign Damon Salvatore 600 votes (which seems reasonable given that he's new to the scene). With him currently at 1.31% of the total vote, that would mean that the entire poll might have elicited 45,802 total votes so far. And from that number we'd see that the top six in the poll (so as to include Barnabas) would break down as:

1) Spike   29.57% 13544
2) Eric    23%    10534
3) Angel   15.35%  7031
4) Bill    12.29%  5629
5) Mick     7.89%  3614
6) Barnabas 7%     3206

Of course, we don't know that Damon has 600 votes. But that really doesn't matter because the relationship of each vamp on the poll to the others remains the same percentage regardless of what his votes actually are. Even if, say, Barnabas actually has 10,000 votes, the percentages still remain the same, but the top six's total votes change to:

1) Spike   29.57% 42243
2) Eric    23%    32857
3) Angel   15.35% 21929
4) Bill    12.29% 17557
5) Mick     7.89% 11271
6) Barnabas 7%    10000

The total votes in the poll would then be 142,857 (and Damon would have 1871 votes  [hall2_wink]).

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 11:50:11 PM »
Great job MB.  I just wish more people voted for Barnabas. The character deserved a much higher showing than 7% of the total vote count. Curious to have seen how many votes Ben Cross would have received if he was listed as the Barnabas Collins. If the average age of the people who are voting at the poll's website are 20 years younger than the people who watched Jonathan Frid's performance , Ben Cross may have more name/picture recognition since it is a more recent Dark Shadows than the people who voted for Jonathan who may not know how to use a computer.  I guess what I am getting at is how much bias is in this particular poll. For example parents who watched the original show may not have a computer and are possibly excluded from voting on this poll (assuming that most do not know how to use a computer if one can make that argument). Along the same lines if assuming the average person voting at this website is 20 years younger than than the audience who watched Frid's performance, perhaps would less likely know Jonathan Frid. Obviously more people watched the original DS than the 1991 series but is the former's audience properly represented in this poll?
On a side note I think Angel would have done better but it seems the actor who played him just recently announced that he is against doing a reunion show/movie so many of his fans are not happy with him at this time. Just a theory of course.