Author Topic: To COLORIZE or Not to COLORIZE?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
To COLORIZE or Not to COLORIZE?
« on: July 22, 2002, 09:47:49 PM »
Should the B&W Kinescopes and Episodes (including lost COLOR episodes of "Dark Shadows" that now exist only in B&W Kinescopes) should be COLORIZED?

Yes :)  or No :(

Spencer Karter
Age 16
Spencer H. Karter

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: To COLORIZE or Not to COLORIZE?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 10:41:19 PM »
Welcome, Professor1985!  Great name, by the way.  ;)

Regarding your question--I think it would be nice if the kinescopes from the point when the series had already gone to color could be restored.  Those episodes were always meant to be seen in color anyway.  However, I don't believe that anything could be achieved by colorizing the first season.  B&W is their original state, and much of those episodes' effectiveness is due to the shadowy sets and gloomy atmosphere.  If anything were done to modify those episodes, I fear that something valuable would be lost from the viewing experience.

ProfStokes

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 10:46:04 PM »
Hi Spencer! Your first post? Welcome.

To colorize or not to colorize? I vote yes, because I'd like to see them colorized for the sake of novelty. But in the end, I would opt for the original B&W eps to remain so, as far as for my own personal viewing pleasure. I enjoyed the show so much more in it's black and white days. In my opinion, B&W enhances the Gothic mood of the show.

I would very much like to see the kinescopes digitally restored to better enhance the viewing quality of the episodes (be they color or black and white).

Good question,
Dom

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 12:46:28 AM »
I don't think so. The kinescopes are markedly inferior to the black & white, and it would look ridiculous. Unfortunately, they are just the best we have and keep the episode from being completely lost.

As for the b&w episodes, I still don't think so. I don't care for the look of colorization. I know b&w puts off a lot of people, and not just younger ones. I would hate to see this era of tv lost entirely just to pander to ignorance.

I love the look of the color episodes, don't get me wrong. I just don't think you can capture that in the earlier ones and they have their own special quality that I would like to see being appreciated. Good question though!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 01:11:52 AM »
Should the B&W Kinescopes and Episodes (including lost COLOR episodes of "Dark Shadows" that now exist only in B&W Kinescopes) should be COLORIZED?

Yes :)  or No :(

Spencer Karter
Age 16

In the case of Dark Shadows, I say no. In fact the black and white episode are more suitable to the subject material, I always felt - plus the sets look more realistic. The only benefit of going to color was seeing the fabulous period costumes in the time travel story lines.

In the case of other TV shows, however, I'm not against the practice. In many (if not most) cases the episodes would have been color had the technology been available; therefore I have no objection to Ted Turner colorizing the first season of Gilligans Island or the Hallmark Channel colorizing the first season of I Dream of Jeannie (I wish they'd do that with the first two seasons of Bewitched, in fact.) It would also be a hoot to see the Dick Van Dyke show in color, among others.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 01:59:19 AM »
In the words of Orsen Wells "Keep Ted Turner and his crayons away from my movies!"  I think that says it for anything colorized.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 02:08:15 AM »
Restoration is a good thing. However, over restoration is not...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 03:06:52 AM »
Count me as a "no".  

I see the early b&w shows as being unique and special in their own way... and since there are so few of them, relatively speaking, why bother?

You wouldn't colorize the first scene of the Wizard of Oz, now would you?   ;)

Joe

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2002, 03:15:39 AM »
Colorization is a good idea  ;D and I want to see the pre-Barnabas episodes Colorized, I want to see Barnabas Collins first appearance Colorized, I want to see Angelique's first appearance Colorized, I want to see some B&W kinescopes Colorized and I like both B&W and COLOR  ;D

Spencer Karter
Age 16
Spencer H. Karter

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2002, 03:21:05 AM »
?!?  I think those that are originally made in b/w should remain just as they are because when they colorized some of the old movies - it just lost their "essence".

I like the classic way - that's why they're classics.  Leave 'em alone.  The colors never turn out right, anyways. :)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2002, 03:42:47 AM »
Nope.  I'm no fan of colorization - it is the changing of art.  To me, it's no different that "updating" the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel ceiling.  Would we give Leonardo's lady a Katie Couric hairdo?  Put a speedo on Adam?

The kineoscope episodes do constitute something different (the color episodes).  However, they are so grainy now, I doubt if colorization would help.  Possibly, they would look murkier.  Perhaps they (whomever "they" are) should look into computerized restoration of them, if that technology exists.

Gerard

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2002, 04:10:02 AM »
Well, I prefer BnW to color in the first place, so im a solid no vote.  In fact, I've been known to turn the color on the set down (jk) but hey, maybe thats a good idea.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2002, 05:01:23 AM »
A big NO to colorization for me.  

I remember getting mad when the process started years ago to color some of the more classic movies.....They just weren't the same in color.  

I'd hate to see DS episodes all in color.  They mystery, intrigue, suspense would be taken away.  The special effects wouldn't be the same, IMHO.

"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2002, 05:48:03 AM »
I also vote NO to colorization. I've watched "Gilligan's Island" on TBS and other Turner channels, and it just horrifies me. They have blue teeth now! I prefer the B&W versions TV Land shows. These were meant to be in B&W (though some weren't). The quality of the kinescopes are so bad that it would probably be to hard to colorize them, and if they did it wouldn't look as good. I think the B&W gives it a errier look in the early ones. I love the colorization of "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Bewitched" which was done by a Canadian corporation, because they are so indepth and they have white teeth. But I would still perfer to watch them in their original state.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2002, 06:07:53 AM »
Put a speedo on Adam?

Are we talking about Robert Rodan in a speedo?  <lol>  Now that's a scary thought!

Seriously, I am definitely against colorization.  While I do agree that it would be great to have the original color videotape versions of those color episodes that exist only in kinescope form, I'd also have to say that I think the kinescopes would look worse colorized than in their original black and white form.  The picture quality of the kinescopes isn't all that great to begin with, and I imagine that slapping computer-generated colors on top of them would only make matters worse.

On a related topic, do the original negatives for the kinescopes exist anywhere?

Regards,

John