Author Topic: Fans of the Show  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Fans of the Show
« on: July 22, 2002, 06:29:27 AM »
My mother is in a nursing home for a few weeks.  The dumb cable they can get there doesn't include most of the interesting channels, including SciFi.  Fortunately, we've seen all of this a couple of times, so every day I describe to her what's been happening (Robservations is really helpful - I always forget what all I've seen and go back and take notes from it!).

Anyway, her roommate was interested, and in fact, she's the one who asks each day, "Are we going to hear the story?"  All she really remembers of it is Joan Bennett.  Apparently she saw it back when it was originally on.  I figured she probably wouldn't remember what most of them look like, so other day I took the "Companion" and "Almanac" to show her some pictures.

Unfortunately, there weren't too many pictures from this storyline.  I did manage to find a few of Nicholas, a couple of Adam, one of Nicholas had a bit of vampire Angelique behind him, and one of Jeff, along with the "regulars" - so at least she has an idea of them now.  She said she can't wait to go home and watch it!
Josette

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
Re: Fans of the Show
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 07:05:01 AM »
Very cool story, Josette. Thanks for sharing... :)

Hope your mom's doing OK.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 07:07:03 AM »
My mother is in a nursing home for a few weeks.  The dumb cable they can get there doesn't include most of the interesting channels, including SciFi.  Fortunately, we've seen all of this a couple of times, so every day I describe to her what's been happening (Robservations is really helpful - I always forget what all I've seen and go back and take notes from it!).

Anyway, her roommate was interested, and in fact, she's the one who asks each day, "Are we going to hear the story?"  All she really remembers of it is Joan Bennett.  Apparently she saw it back when it was originally on.  I figured she probably wouldn't remember what most of them look like, so other day I took the "Companion" and "Almanac" to show her some pictures.

Unfortunately, there weren't too many pictures from this storyline.  I did manage to find a few of Nicholas, a couple of Adam, one of Nicholas had a bit of vampire Angelique behind him, and one of Jeff, along with the "regulars" - so at least she has an idea of them now.  She said she can't wait to go home and watch it!

Funny you should start this thread as I was thinking of starting one myself on the same subject. The other day one of my friends came over to visit with his twenty-something Hispanic wife and Dark Shadows was on the TV. While my friend and I were talking about various things, his wife was glued to the TV. She didn't want to leave because she was loving the program so much! Another unsuspecting victim of Dark Shadows' broad appeal!
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 07:27:39 AM »
Josette,
How nice that you do that for your mom and her room mate too :) Please tell her your friends from the DS Forums send their best wishes.
Julianka

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 07:25:13 PM »
Hello, Josette glad that you shared very special
moment with us.  I will keep your Mom in my prayers
and glad that she is doing so well.  And loves
DarkShadows!!!     Love Anne :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 07:32:38 PM »
I will add your Mom to my prayer list. Josette take care of yourself so you can take care of her because MOTHERS are always special.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 04:50:20 AM »
Best wishes to both of the ladies!

:D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 10:02:37 AM »
Thank you to all for your good wishes.   :) :)

I hoped that by casually mentioning "a few weeks" it would be clear that there's nothing serious.  She has lung problems and uses oxygen and lately that and a few other complaints had been bad, so the doctor suggested the hospital for a bit to do some tests, and treatment and therapy to try to get things better.  Afterwards, they thought she should have some therapy to get stronger before returning home.

My main purose for the post was how interested her roommate is in the show, with just her vague recollections from long ago.
Josette