Author Topic: FINISHING TOUCHES  (Read 2412 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
FINISHING TOUCHES
« on: July 21, 2002, 09:57:09 PM »
Death scenes were a given on DARK SHADOWS for most of the characters. Considering everyone from Matthew Morgan to Suki Forbes, who was the character that was MOST and LEAST memorable during his or her fading moments. Have fun!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
Re: FINISHING TOUCHES
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 10:51:32 PM »
Spoilers about 1840 storyline below
Roxanne Drew's dying scene in 1840 --- dying as a vampire, I mean --- gives me chills everytime I watch it. I just can't imagine what Randall went through as he watched his sister die knowing he was causing it.

Reverand Trask's dying scene in 1795 was pretty memorable too!

Trying to think of least....
Wiley S.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2002, 11:01:52 PM »
SPOILERS!!!!

Most memorable would have to be the scene in 1970PT, when twin sisters Angelique and Alexis traded places, against Alexis' will.  When Alexis went to say goodbye to her supposedly dead sister, Angelique, and reached out to touch her, the latter opened her eyes and informed her terrified twin that she was going to take her place.  Angelique killed Alexis, placed her in the coffin in which she had been resting for six months,  took her place at Collinwood and stole her sister's life, her intention to get revenge on Quentin for killing her (he hadn't, but she didn't know that).  In a very tricky split screen, rarely done in soaps at the time, we saw Alexis and Angelique together, a special effect skillfully done--and very scary!

Least memorable?  Probably Philip Todd's, mainly because I can't seem to remember it!

Love, Robin

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 12:46:08 AM »
SPOILERS!!!!

Least memorable?  Probably Philip Todd's, mainly because I can't seem to remember it!

Love, Robin

Hey Robin!

more spoilage....

I'll remind you about Philip Todd.  He leapt (or more like fell) off Widows Hill, after trying to go after Barnabas (or was it Jeb?). HA! You're right! Pretty "non-memorable" at that! Just glad he was out of the way!

I remember him being such a cry baby and weenie when his wife (played by Marie Wallace, her character name escapes me at the moment) materialized in his jail cell as a vampire. Yeah, anyone would be scared in that regard, but he played [bawl]WIMP[bawl] to the hilt in that scene, imho ;)

Karen #2
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 01:11:42 AM »
more spoilage....

I remember him being such a cry baby and weenie when his wife (played by Marie Wallace, her character name escapes me at the moment) materialized in his jail cell as a vampire. Yeah, anyone would be scared in that regard, but he played [bawl]WIMP[bawl] to the hilt in that scene, imho ;)

MEGAN TODD

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 01:29:14 AM »
SPOILER!!!

One of my all-time favorite (and most memorable) death scenes is Trask's death in 1895. Most notably for Joan Bennett's performance as Judith. Not only does she brick him up in Quentin's room, she evilly and quite deliciously taunts him to death, literally. He who laughs last...

Dom

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 01:37:01 AM »
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
For me, the most memorable death was Angelique at the end of the 1840 storyline, for the sheer emotional impact.  Angelique was always a character I loved to hate, but here for the first time I felt genuine sympathy for her, and sadness over her death.  Her actions towards the end of this storyline seemed to indicate that she had truly reformed, and was no longer only acting out of her own best interests.  To have her finally undergo such a change, only to be murdered was truly tragic.

As for least memorable, I have to agree with Robin and say Phillip Todd.  I too always have trouble remembering  the cause of his death and the events leading up to it.  Maybe because the character never made much of an impression on me.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 01:43:44 AM »
well, of the shows i have seen i think it would have to be
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

madam finleys great leap down the staircase after having visited quentins room.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2002, 02:27:48 AM »
more spoilage....

PHILIP:  "I'm just plain scared."

My choices occur very close together in 1970 P.T.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Most memorable-- As Hoffman is about to do the unimaginable, Julia arrives to off her in the nick of time and save her man.  Years after seeing DS I still remembered Hoffman's failed attempt to stake Barnabas, but not the tiny detail that it wasn't Julia but her P.T. counterpart. ::)

Least memorable-- Sabrina's murder.  {yawn}

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2002, 06:10:16 AM »

As for least memorable, I have to agree with Robin and say Phillip Todd.

Ditto! As for most memorable, Noah Gifford. I hated to see him go.  :'(
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2002, 09:22:21 AM »
When Auntie Abigail goes snooping around the old house basement and finds Barnabas just about to rise out of his coffin!!  Both that scream of hers and that look on her face when she died was priceless!!![scrm] [bawl] [eek]

As for the least memorable, I think it would have to be Sky Rumson.  Im sure he died, but I can't seem to remember how.  [sleep]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2002, 10:13:55 AM »

As for the least memorable, I think it would have to be Sky Rumson.  Im sure he died, but I can't seem to remember how.  [sleep]

I don't think Rumson died-He just quietly walked into the sunset...

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2002, 12:24:16 PM »
Spoilage ahead!!!!

Actually, Sky Rumson's death was kinda cool--Barnabas forced him to kill himself.  Sky was holding a gun in his hand, and because he'd been responsible for killing Carolyn's husband, Jeb Hawkes, Barnabas grabbed his hand and forced him to turn the gun on himself and blow his sorry ass away.  Geoffrey Scott was one of DS' worst actors (the double doors leading into Collinwood's drawing room had more talent and less wood), and seeing him go was very satisfying, especially at Barnabas' hands!

Love, Robin  

When did Sabrina die?  Not in RT, so must have been PT.  I can't recall how, though.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2002, 12:59:02 PM »
Spoilage ahead!!!!

Actually, Sky Rumson's death was kinda cool--Barnabas forced him to kill himself.  Sky was holding a gun in his hand, and because he'd been responsible for killing Carolyn's husband, Jeb Hawkes, Barnabas grabbed his hand and forced him to turn the gun on himself and blow his sorry ass away.  Geoffrey Scott was one of DS' worst actors (the double doors leading into Collinwood's drawing room had more talent and less wood), and seeing him go was very satisfying, especially at Barnabas' hands!

So it wasn't a peaceful walk afterall...Guess I also fell asleeep when you consider Robin's description of Scott's acting ability ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2002, 09:43:20 PM »
Spoilage ahead!!!!

When did Sabrina die?  Not in RT, so must have been PT.

SPOILERS...

Yes, by John Yaeger in P.T. right before Hoffman's demise. All their deaths might even be on the same tape, or at least the same volume, but for me only Hoffman's is memorable.

Robin's
I can't recall how, though.

Exactly! [lghy]

VAM's
Guess I also fell asleeep when you consider Robin's description of Scott's acting ability ;)

LOL, VAM!

I modified the all caps, btw, but otherwise it's exactly the same.

Hey, tripwire, you seem to favor those falling-down-the-stairs-of-Collinwood scenes, hee hee!! ;)