Author Topic: OT- I'm walking for diabetes in NYC on 10/25- come sponsor me!  (Read 903 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
OT- I'm walking for diabetes in NYC on 10/25- come sponsor me!
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:47:12 PM »
As some of you may know, I have Type 2 diabetes. The good news that it's under control with diet & exercise, and I don't need insulin injections.  However, there are a lot of many people out there who need injections, and even those who face vision, nerve and mobility problems due to the condition.  Perhaps you know someone close to you who is diabetic.

Well, on October 25th I'm Stepping Out for Diabetes in Manhattan.  The event will begin at 8:30 AM with registration, with the walk itself starting at 10:00 AM.  It starts at the South Street Seaport, going over the Brooklyn Bridge into downtown Brooklyn, through that neighborhood and back to Manhattan- a total of 4.8 miles.

OK- this is where YOU come in. Did you know that Thayer David and Criag Slocum (who played Noah Gifford and Harry Johnson) were diabetic?  Sadly, Mr. Slocum died of complications of the disease.  For them, and other people in the DS community who have suffered from this condition, you can help fight this condition that is more commplace than ever.  If you'd like to sponsor my efforts in this walk, please contribute at my web page at the American Diabetes Association:

http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/StepOut/StepOut080058010?px=4450235&pg=personal&fr_id=6372

I'm trying to raise $150 for the event- every bit helps!  Spread the word- I'm sure there are people out there who either have diabetes or know someone close to them with the condition (like me!).  

For more info:

http://stepout.diabetes.org/site/TR/StepOut/StepOut080058010?pg=entry&fr_id=6372

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
Re: OT- I'm walking for diabetes in NYC on 10/25- come sponsor me!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:17:03 AM »
Charles, I remet you at the Fest in Aug--had no idea you had type 2, but good for you managine it with exercise and diet, anyway, I did send you a walk pledge..

David

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 10:52:22 PM »
 [hall2_smiley]
Charles, I'm never comfy with making payments of any kind online, but if you PM me your snail mail address, I'm happy to send you a check for $18.00~~because in Hebrew, 18 also means life!

David

David

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »
 [hall2_smiley] I got your PM, Charles, and the check is in the mail!
I'm so glad your're doing this~~my Aunt & Uncle both died of diabetic complications in their 50s.

David

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »
I got the check today- thanks!

David

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »
Charles, when you walk, look skyward & say hi to my late Uncle Moe & my late Aunt  Rose~~both buried in Staten Island, BTW!
I support you in their memory!
(-:
David

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 01:32:33 AM »
Let me guess- Baron Hirsch cemetery, right?  I live a few blocks from there!

David

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
 [candle_in_skull]
Actually, they're in United Hebrew on Arthur Kill Road. Is the Atrium Cinemas still up the street from there?

David