Author Topic: Guiding Light: I wish DS had ended as well!!!  (Read 3683 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Guiding Light: I wish DS had ended as well!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 09:42:55 PM »
When I was in college I watched Ryan's Hope, All My Children, and General Hospital.  I kept with them for a time, but when I met my wife I jettisoned them all except the one we'd watch together, All My Children.  We kept with that one for about 9 years.  When we were expecting our daughter, that was one of the things we gave up.  Following it took too much time, and the plots were becoming monotonous any way.  A few years ago, I got nostalgic and tuned in again.  It was like no time had passed.  Jackson and Erica were in that love hate thing AGAIN.  Adam was up to some tricks with some younger woman AGAIN.  I'm not sure if he was married to Dixie.  Palmer was still up to the same tricks.  Mateo was now controlling his family the way his father did.  I was not interested.  Given a chance, I'd love to see repeats of whatever they have available.  Anybody know how much of AMC exists? 

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »
Can you imagine Dan Curtis pitching DS to a network in this day and age? I can just see the suits telling him the following: "We want the series set at Collinsport High School not a dusty, old mansion. Barnabas needs to be a newcomer in Collinsport, a moody teen who all the girls find irresistible, sexy and mysterious. He falls in love with Maggie Evans, the most popular girl in school. She can be a cheerleader! Maggie is already dating Joe Haskell, the quarterback on the high school football team. Julia Hoffman will become a nerdy bookworm who falls in love with Barnabas from afar. Make Carolyn Stoddard the town tramp with drug and alcohol problems. We are not interested in adult characters like Elizabeth and Roger. We would like Prof. Stokes to become an English teacher. Make the Blue Whale a coffee shop where all the teens hang out and we will book some music acts to perform on the show. We are thinking about Hilary Duff for the role of Angelique..."

Offline quentin-channing

• Junior Poster
  • Where's my milk? Oops, wrong show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 02:38:32 AM »
Lol markyboo. Sounds like something close to a mix of Twilight and Everwood...although I don't know anything about those  series. Just going on my impressions.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »
The Sept. 13 segment about GL on 60 minutes included DS alum Ellen Wheeler, the soap's Executive Producer, whose teary-eyed interview (and energetic antics!) can be seen here during the segment's 2nd half:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0S76RmZxY

I want to know what vitamins she takes.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »
I want to know what vitamins she takes.

[gossip]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
For those who doubt the accuracy of Markyboo's scenario above, check out this newish BBC series (part of it aired on NBC last summer, I am told), Merlin.  It's technically yet another spin on the old King Arthur legends but EVERYONE, including Arthur, Guinevere and Merlin himself, is a teenager!  Anthony Stewart Head plays Uther, Arthur's natural father in the old legends who was supposed to have died when Arthur was still a baby and was given to loyal knight Sir Ector to foster as a brother to his own son Kai.

G.

David

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 04:48:43 AM »
 [ghost_rolleyes]

Mark, that was a beautiful pitch for Vampire Diaries!

David

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »
Knowing how fond the networks are fond of ripping off each other's hit shows, I wonder how many programs we will see aired next season with vampire characters? CBS could do CSI: TRANSYLVANIA...on ABC's BROTHERS AND SISTERS, one of the Walkers will become a vampire...FOX will introduce BITE, about vampire teens who love to sing show tunes...as for NBC, it will replace Jay Leno with five hours of vampire programming!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
on ABC's BROTHERS AND SISTERS, one of the Walkers will become a vampire

I vote for Justin.

as for NBC, it will replace Jay Leno with five hours of vampire programming!

That could only be an improvement - and in more ways than one - for those of us who love vampire stories and because Leno's ratings are getting worse by the day (every day seems to be bringing a new low).

David

OT -- Re: Guiding Light: I wish DS had ended as well!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »
The ratings for GL spiked by 600,000 viewers during the last week, and by a cool million for the grand finale. This suggests that a sizable audience may have been out there, waiting for the show to improve. No other cancelled soap enjoyed a spike like this at the end.

In the I'll Believe It When I See it Department:
A TV producer has approached Proctor & Gamble about reviving GL for 13 one hour eps per year, in prime time, on a cable network~~this was reported in the Canadian TV Guide.

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
I mostly had no idea what was going on but I also DVRed the final ep of GUIDING LIGHT! I was happy to see Reva and Josh get Happily Ever After!   I didn't for one though like the shaky camera angles!  I love General Hospital and have watched since Luke and Laura returned in 1993 which was beyond GRAND with great location shooting!  The 90's were fabulous for GH! Stone and Robin hooked me, and it was such a great story that needed to be told.  I was a young gay teen who didn't know much about HIV/AIDS and GH informed me. I still love GH and when it's on I don't think there is a better soap out there.  With the original Lucky, Vanessa Marcil and JAMES FRANCO headed to GH I am very excited.  YES James Franco, Golden Globe winner and big movie actor is headed to Port Charles!  Now if they would get Genie Francis back I would be in Heaven!

I personally look for Days to go next.  They fired all the vets and have a parade of hot young things who couldn't act their way out of a box!

T
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/