Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0852  (Read 2689 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0852
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0852
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:38:26 PM »
Angelique is forcefully convincing in this scene.  I guess it doesn't take much for her to fall in love and it doesn't matter that the man does not love her in return.  I still have a hard time with the love at first sight she developes towards Quentin unless the writers are trying to put the viewers desires onto Angeligue.  Dan Curtis did say in the interview that he was well aware of the audience and wrote for them as long as it was something he was interested in and a classic story.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:15:40 AM »
The whole Angelique and Quentin thing never did seem convincing to me, even as a child. What's more,
[spoiler]Angelique admitted later on that the whole romance/engagement with Quentin was just to spite Barnabas!  [ghost_blink][/spoiler]

Besides, the whole thing seems like a hoax for Edward to let her stay on at Collinwood and cause trouble for Barnabas.

There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:55:36 AM »
That's the problem with treating DS as a soap rather than as a supernatural drama with romance elements, I think.   There's a temptation just to play romantic musical chairs, creating forced pairings that make little sense.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 04:28:52 AM »
I never bought that Angelique loved Quentin, but she had a very good reason for wanting him (quite badly!) that won't be revealed for another 30 eps.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:45:55 AM »
That's the problem with treating DS as a soap rather than as a supernatural drama with romance elements, I think.

Though DS is a soap. It plays by all the typical soap rules. It often puts a supernatural spin on many of the rules - but at its core it's still 100% soap.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
I was thinking of soaps as shows about who's romancing whom, who's pregnant, etc... Of course it's a soap in structure.   I don't know how to say why it's utterly un-soaplike to me.  I'll just say that I don't like soap operas, and I love DS... in the same way that I don't like Westerns, but I love The Wild Wild West and Kung Fu.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 04:51:53 AM »
KLS in epic battle with a pesky fly!  I think she did quite well under the circumstances.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
Maybe Angelique convinced herself she was in love with Quentin, or was convinced eventually she would grow to love him and get over Barnabas. Quentin is a hottie after all. [hall2_wink]

Edward said that Angelique has suffered a lot because of the family. Snort. If he only knew how much the 1795 family suffered because of Angelique... [hall2_shocked]

Anyone else loved it when Kitty went after Angelique? Especially since [spoiler] she's actually the reincarnation of Josette? [/spoiler] Karma's a bitch, ain't it Angelique? [hall2_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »
Good episode, with some excellent scenes for Louis Edmonds.

I think the railroad station set is a re-using of the back door of the Old House - unless the back door of the Old House is a re-using of the railroad station set used in episode 1.

I wasn't really impressed with KLS's strangling technique.  Angelique didn't appear to be in any great danger.  Oh, well, maybe Kitty will improve with time.  But actually, Angelique couldn't have been in any danger anyway.  I assume that when Quentin said he was hoping Kitty would kill Angelique, he was speaking rhetorically.  He knows where Angelique comes from, and he knows that it takes more than a good strangling to finish her off.

Back in 1795, when Barnabas confronted Angelique about her witchhood, she said that their marriage would turn out just fine.  I think she probably said that Barnabas would grow to love her.  If she didn't, I'm sure it was indicated.  And here she is, doing the same thing with Quentin.

What is Angelique's surname in 1897?  I could have sworn that Edward introduced her to Victor Fenn Gibbon as Duval, and today he introduced her to Kitty as DuBois.

Kitty's great.  Here she's got really scary stuff happening to her, and instead of running away from Collinwood she's using the weird events to reel in Edward.  I'm glad she wrote her mama a few episodes ago that Edward was a dear, because she brings out the best in him, and I'd hate to think that she might turn around and (like Angelique with Barnabas) start in with the unpleasantness as soon as they're married.  It helps, of course, that Kitty's not in love with Edward.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »
I'm finally posting about another episode! [cheer] Since it's been about 3 months since I saw this episode the last time and wrote my notes, it's taking me a long time to write this reply. I had to read Robin's Robservations practically word for word to refresh my memory. Boy, am I behind!  [snow_rolleyes] Now it's over 100 episodes! This is the furthest I've been behind since the Watching Project began! Who knows when I will be able to catch up again?  [snow_huh]

Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Angelique threatened to kill Amanda and forced Quentin to set a wedding date. He stretched it out as long as he could, by telling her it would be in one week.
2. In the woods, Kitty felt like she was being watched.
3. All the items in Kitty's dream appeared after she woke up.

I think that Kitty's black cover-up was quite risque looking, with its thin material. But she looked lovely! [gorgeous] I love it on her. I also love the look on her face when she realized that she had Edward wrapped around her little finger.  [snow_wink]

KLS handled the fly very well. It was funny to watch.  [snow_laugh]

[spoiler]I wonder if it was the Leviathans who were watching Kitty out in the woods? I have a theory that maybe it was the Leviathans who made Kitty turn into Josette. Maybe they even caused her to have the dreams when the items appeared. I realized that it could have been the Leviathans when Angelique said in the dream, "The Gods will be jealous of you..." Would that be referring to the Leviathan Gods? After all, at the end of this storyline, Barnabas was sent to 1796 with Kitty/Josette and then sent to the "present", to the Leviathan cairn.[/spoiler]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
EmmyRose, how lovely to hear from you!  And I think your spoilerized suggestion has great merit, although the details will forever remain a mystery.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »
Yay for Sally!  [clap]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:55:13 PM »
I suspect we're supposed to believe it was Barnabas who was watching Kitty.

It's nice to see you posting again in the WP, EmeraldRose.  [snow_smiley]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 09:54:34 AM »
Thanks! [snow_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass][hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]