Author Topic: MPI Compilations Vampire Curse and Haunting of Collinwood  (Read 2212 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
MPI Compilations Vampire Curse and Haunting of Collinwood
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:45:39 AM »
Has anyone seen the new compilations by MPI?  I'm about half way thru the Vampire Curse (1795).  I have mixed feelings.  You have to have an open mind watching this one at least.  Certain characters either barely appear or are cut out entirely.  I'd love to watch with someone who is not familiar with DS.  I'm curious how these hold up as standalone features.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: MPI Compilations Vampire Curse and Haunting of Collinwood
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »
I checked DVD Talk a couple of days ago to see if there was a review, but didn't see one.

I might check these out via Netflix some day just out of curiosity. 

G.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:11:28 PM »
I might check these out via Netflix some day just out of curiosity.
Had the same idea -- to see the interviews, but Netflix isn't carrying them at the moment.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:42:16 PM »
The interviews are short, but interesting  I bought them for three reasons.
1. I wanted to have some self contained DS to show people when they come over.
2. Amazon had them for about $5 off, free shipping (Amazon Prime) and no sales tax
3. My Amazon card sent me a $25 voucher, so it was the right price at the right time. 
4. I admit it. I'm pathetic when it comes to DS.  I knew I was going to get them sooner or later.

One thing I found annoying on the 1795 one was the sound quality at some points. The tapes must be getting old.  Still that's no excuse.  I don't recall those audio problems on the DVDs.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
Many Thanks, Doctor and K-9, for sharing what you have here about the new discs.  Too bad MPI couldn't be bothered to mix and master the clips properly.  Par for the course, I'm afraid.  Glad you got such a good deal on the discs!

Best,

G.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:26:24 PM »
Actually that price is still pretty close on Amazon.  I got them for $13.99 as a pre-release guarantee. They've gone up to $14.99.  The shipping would still be free if someone ordered them, at least I think Amazon still ships free if your order totals  $25 or more.  They don't normally charge tax on most items.  So, if someone wanted them, they could have both tax and shipping free for $29.99.  I'm not trying to hock them. I hardly consider them MUST HAVE items.  I save that status for the Big Finish CDs.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 12:44:56 AM »
I pre oredered both compilations from Amazon to give to my niece fo rher B-Day. I already have all the dvds so I don't see me needing the compilations, but I'm going to watch them with her at least once just to see how the edit is.
My niece is a DS fan so she should like this, and if this goes over well then maybe I'll give her future edits as gifts too.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 02:39:04 AM »
It is true that some things got left out.  I also just got it for the interviews.  Got mine through Deep discount.

On the Vampire one, they left out some of the most touching scenes.  Sarah and Barnabas, and Barnabas and
Naomi.  They left out a lot.   Do you think they could have done it better with 2 DVDs?

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 03:49:18 AM »
Is "Curse of the Vampire" only 1795?

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »
Curse of the Vampire is mainly 1795 but ithe last portion has scenes from Frid's first couple of episodes.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 01:25:41 AM »
Since these two compilations clearly show that MPI are looking for new DS product, I wonder whether they would ever consider doing separate "salute to" discs for various DS stars.  I found myself fantasizing about a "Salute to Clarice Blackburn" disc that would include clips from some of her more obscure work in addition to favorite DS clips such as Mrs J telling Davey, "the Sheriff knows that when the whistle blows, it's time for lunch!"

Of course I'm thinking like a fool because the market reality is that only a very small number of people would be interested in a "Salute to Clarice Blackburn" DVD.  But perhaps they'd buy discs in which Lara or KLS host selections of their own clips, perhaps chosen by the fans in a way similar to what Jonathan Frid set up on his own site.

I personally would find this kind of thing more interesting than compilations of specific storylines...

cheer, G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 01:27:18 AM »
Thanks so much, The Doctor and K9!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:29 AM »
gothick...

you know i'd kill for a "best of clarice blackburn" dvd!

i'm watching the laura collins storyline and her scenes with diana millay are like little treats just for me.they're not pivotal.they don't really push the plot along.they're just little throwaway(mainly mrs. johnson bickering about all the work she has to do)scenes but clarice and diana are such thoroughbreds they totally elevate the material.

i could watch those two recite the phonebook and i'd be riveted.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »
Of course I'm thinking like a fool because the market reality is that only a very small number of people would be interested in a "Salute to Clarice Blackburn" DVD.  But perhaps they'd buy discs in which Lara or KLS host selections of their own clips, perhaps chosen by the fans in a way similar to what Jonathan Frid set up on his own site.

You're not the only one. Like mscbryk, I'd love a DVD highlighting some of Clarice Blackburn's best scene. And actually, there could be a way to market DVDs devoted to the great supporting players like Clarice: package them in sets along with the DVDs highlighting players like Lara and KLS. They could be 4 disk sets just like the regular sets except, instead of being comprised of 4 disks with each containing 10 eps, each disk would be devoted to spotlighting one actor's work.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 11:48:31 PM »
I think you might also have a problem clearing rights to use clips from other works.  If for exampley, you wanted to do a Lara DVD and use clips from Night Stalker and Race with the Devil, I'm pretty sure a royallty would have to be paid.  I'm sure it could be done, but it would drive the pirce up.