Author Topic: Dan Curtis on another DS film:  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Dan Curtis on another DS film:
« on: July 18, 2002, 10:29:57 PM »
From TV Guide Online this week:

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/flickchick/

Johnny Depp as Barnabas?  :P

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
Re: Dan Curtis on another DS film:
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 11:08:46 PM »
Excerpt from article:

Is he gratified that the show has proved to have such staying power? "Let's say I'm very amused," he said with a gracious laugh.

That's Dan for ya.  ::)
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline mfmdpt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 11:12:06 PM »
Johnny Depp as Barnabas?  :P

Apparently Depp is a big DS fan. While I was taping my Sciography segment, the producer mentioned that in the next week or two they were really hoping to schedule an interview with Depp about his love for the show. But I guess it probably never came off because Depp doesn't appear in what was shown at the Fest.

Who knows? Look at all the flap Tom Cruise's casting as Lestat in Interview with the Vampire caused! But that turned out pretty well. ;)
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2002, 03:01:27 AM »
Johnny Depp? Could we get that fortunate? I'm serious, he is a great actor and could bring a lot to the role. It would also be MUCH more likely to be made with him on board.

I still wish DC would do a "second generation" rather rehashing the same story one more time. I could easily believe that Angie bore Barney a son that looked like Johnny Depp.

BTW, Dan Curtis looks like he must have been making this show when he was in his teens. Anyone know how old he was then?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 03:28:57 AM »
I can't even remotely picture Johny Depp as Barnabas -- slouchy-grunge-Method actor vs. the cultured sophistication of Ben Cross with the resonant bass toned-voice and military carriage?

I'm almost as concerned about the writer Mr. Curtis mentions he hopes to tap for the script.  I looked up his credits, and though I haven't seen any of the movies he's written, there's a good reason -- they sound like blockbuster crap!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 03:48:40 AM »
Sorry Vlad, but I disagree vehemently with your assesment of Johnny Depp's talent.  

How many successful young actors are there, out there, who would CHOOSE to work in quirky independant films instead of Hollywood Hit Factory projects, to the extent Depp has?  He could have coasted along, getting huge paychecks for dreck performances, but instead he chose to make odd pictures like "Ed Wood".  I think he'd make a perfect Barnabas for a new audience.

Keep in mind, Dan Curtis would never do a film for the likes of US....why bother?...he's already GOT our loyalty.  He'd do it for a NEW audience....and a younger, more introspective vampire would be absolutely required.  Have you seen " Sleepy Hollow"?  THAT Johnny Depp could be a perfect Barnabas for today....haunted, driven, tortured by guilt/the past/his own failings.....I think he'd be perfect!

And if Kevin Spacey had a kid brother to play Willie Loomis, I'd go SEE it!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 04:06:26 AM »
i think depp would be a great barnabas collins...i think if he ever committed to the role, then i believe the ball would get rolling...gary oldman as willie?
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 04:27:26 AM »
...gary oldman as willie?

Playing against Johnny Depp....I think Oldman would be too old (no pun intended.)  I can see Giovanni Ribisi or Edward Norton perfectly....but both actors are probably too big for the supporting role of Willie.

I also think the whole thing's Dan Curtis at his self-important worst....and there is no chance in hell of another version of Dark Shadows....but it's nice to pretend!!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 06:35:34 AM »
I can see Giovanni Ribisi or Edward Norton perfectly....but both actors are probably too big for the supporting role of Willie.

Giovanni Ribisi as Willie - if only! [wink2]

I'm not getting my hopes up regarding this film either. But since we're only pretending, you never know - Ribisi has done supporting parts. And lets face it, Willie is a really meaty role, particularly if the plot of this film is going to be the umpteenth retooling of HODS.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2002, 06:53:54 AM »
Love the idea of Johnny Depp as Barnabas.  Another good choice for the role would be Jeremy Northam.  Hugh Jackman also comes to mind.  Also, I'm thinking Hugh as Barnabas and Jeremy as Quentin in the sequel (or vice versa).  Of course, I don't know if I could handle seeing Hugh and Jeremy in the same film...<lol>

Speaking of Kevin Spacey, I think he would be a lot of fun as Roger Collins.  I can easily imagine him in a smoking jacket, cradling a snifter of brandy, and making sarcastic and witty comments.

As for Willie, I would like to see DC return to the original series' concept of the character.  The 1991 version of Willie seemed to be conceived as slightly mentally challenged, which I felt was inappropriate on many levels.  The Willie character is much more effective as a lecherous sleaze, as that characterization allows him to undergo a dramatic change (for the better) after being bitten by Barnabas.

Regards,

John