Author Topic: A Family full of incesters  (Read 2355 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
A Family full of incesters
« on: July 18, 2002, 06:06:30 AM »
Long ago, before Barnabas came along, Carolyn and Joe were "seeing" each other...right?  They're cousins aren't they?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

And later on, Carolyn is "seeing" Chris.  Who is Tom twin brother, Joe's cousin, and, you guest it, Carolyn cousins.

Are Carolyn, Joe and Chris doing sometime...ah...wrong?
Or are they doing something...ah... really wrong?

Or is it, as Julia says to Angelique
"I think you'll find the Collins family full of incesters"   or something to that effect.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: A Family full of incesters
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 06:39:25 AM »
Joe is not a Collins relative.

In 1897,

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

we learn that the Jennings are descendants of Quentin, which makes them distant cousins (I think Chris and Carolyn would be third cousins), but no one knows this.  Since Joe is Chris and Tom's cousin, it's possible there is a connection there, but we don't know on which side of the family he's related to them, so there might not be any connection at all.
Josette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 07:02:36 AM »
Joe could be related to the Jennings clan any number of ways that don't necessarily connect him to the Collins family.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

As for Chris and Carolyn.  They're third cousins.  A union that is perfectly legal in all of our 50 states and as far as I know, the rest of the world.   For that matter, first cousins can marry in some of the US and in a good portion of Europe.

Let's not make the genealogy more complicated than it has to be ;)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 06:45:46 PM »
How about Laura. She was married to Edward
and Jamison is their son. Isn't Jamison Roger's
dad? So that means she married her own
grandson.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 07:54:11 PM »
Is is true about Laura, of course Roger doesn't have any idea about it.  Though, one would think he would know who his grandparents were.  Perhaps Edward remarried and his second wife was remembered as the grandmother.

As for Laura, maybe when she is reborn to some unsuspecting couple every thirty years or so, she is a "new" version of Laura Murdoch and not necessarily the same one who lived and "died by fire" before.  That would remove the incestuousness of Roger and Laura's marriage.

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2002, 08:23:48 PM »
Actually, I believe it is the same Laura that pops up over and over.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
In the 1897 story, Laura (Edwards wife) remembers Barnabas from when she was married to Jeremiah Collins in the 1700's.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2002, 10:59:04 PM »
Actually, I believe it is the same Laura that pops up over and over.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
In the 1897 story, Laura (Edwards wife) remembers Barnabas from when she was married to Jeremiah Collins in the 1700's.

Yup. But the whole Phoenix thing is very ambiguous. Let's look at the facts:

Roger and Laura marry. Laura gives birth to David. Laura goes away, to a "hospital."

Later, Laura is burned to death in a fire in Phoenix, Arizona. Afterwards, the immortal Phoenix is born from fiery ash. The Phoenix Laura returns to Collinwood with the intention of taking her son David back to her fiery underworld.

What isn't clear is whether Laura, pre-Phoenix, AZ fire, is the same person as Laura the Phoenix after she has risen from fiery ash. The same thing happens with Laura in 1897: she ran off with Quentin, who reported he saw Laura die in a fire in Egypt. Again she was apparently resurrected as the Phoenix. It seems as though she is born a mortal woman and the Phoenix Laura doesn't rise until after she is destroyed in a fire. She then has a small amount of time to reclaim her child before purposely burning herself again so she can be reborn the next century.

As for Joe Haskell, the family tree I saw does indeed indicate that Joe is a descendant of Quentin's daughter, the surviving twin Lenore. She apparently had two children, one of which married a man named Jennings, who was Chris/Tom/Amy's mother, and one of whom married a man named Haskell, who was Joe's mother. At this point,  however, neither Joe nor Chris know they're descendant's of Quentin's.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 04:56:18 AM »

As for Joe Haskell, the family tree I saw does indeed indicate that Joe is a descendant of Quentin's daughter, the surviving twin Lenore. She apparently had two children, one of which married a man named Jennings, who was Chris/Tom/Amy's mother, and one of whom married a man named Haskell, who was Joe's mother. At this point,  however, neither Joe nor Chris know they're descendant's of Quentin's.

It's never stated clearly how Joe is related to Chris.  I've seen a lot of family trees, but they're often created by people who take liberties with the facts and throw in names and characters with nothing to back them up.

Lenore has to be a paternal grandmother or great grandmother of Chris because of the curse.  It's entirely possibly that Joe's mother and Chris' mother were sisters or something.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 09:06:59 AM »
As to the Laura situation, she uses different last names, i.e., Murdoch and Stockbridge.  I'm sure Roger knows who his grandmother was, but I'm also sure he never associated "his" Laura with her (who would think a woman of one's own age could possibly be the same person as his grandmother?!!)

P.S.  I finally hit 300!! :)
Josette

Connie

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2002, 10:17:21 AM »
Goodness gracious - this is all so confusing.  Could never keep any of this stuff straight and STILL can't.  A family tree in one of the DS almanacs shows Haskell marrying into the Jennings family, which would not make Joe a blood relative to the Collins'.  Yes?  No?
Jeez...I can't follow the family tree either.

-CLC   :-/

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2002, 10:52:44 PM »

It's never stated clearly how Joe is related to Chris.  I've seen a lot of family trees, but they're often created by people who take liberties with the facts and throw in names and characters with nothing to back them up.

Yes, you're right. I've seen a lot of them too. But this one in particular leaves a blank spot wherever no information from the series can be derived and it seemed the most accurate of all I've seen. I must dig it out and have it posted here for comments.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 05:06:03 AM »
I never thought of Joe being related to the Collins before....to be honest I prefer to think he wasn't.

Poor guy had already been through enough WITHOUT the added burden of the supernatural madness that came with being a Collins. [scrdy]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »
While they don't give the specifics of the relationship, I believe they say that Joe and Chris (and Amy and Tom) are cousins.  I've always assumed the relationship is from the other side of the family and that there is no direct connection between Joe and the Collins family.
Josette