Poll

Would you like Seaview to be the representation of Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film?

Yes.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film  (Read 16112 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 04:32:40 AM »
It really doesn't matter to me.  Using the ironic house would be fine but I'm also fine with another suitable house being used for the film.

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 09:50:49 AM »
Hi Again,

I was speaking to Midnite yesterday and we discussed these posts. I had thought this was a dead thread because I was no longer getting notifications of replies. I see people are still discussing.

My original post might have been misleading. I simply wanted to know what each of you felt in his/her heart as to the possibility of having the Depp DS film's Collinwood represented by the same house that represented it in the original show. I didn't count on people debating how much computer embellishment it would take to make it acceptable for a Tim Burton film or the historical accuracy of the style of Seaview Terrace or how likely it would be for the film's creators to use Seaview Terrace.

I'd just like to know, how you folks feel if each of you could make the choice yourself. My hope would be an overwhelming majority would go for the original house. If so, it could then be pointed out to the liaison between Dan Curtis Productions and the film's creators (most likely Jim Pierson) that he should, at the very least, make Mr. Burton and Mr. Depp aware that most of the die-hard fans would like the film's image of the house (even if it has to be completely computer generated) be Seaview Terrace. Another hope progressing from this point would be that Mr. Depp, being a fan of the show himself, would throw his support behind the idea, possibly even visiting Seaview Terrace and (wishful thinking, I know) help in its restoration.

So again, if you were given the permission to make the choice of which house would represent Collinwood, which house would your heart tell you to choose?

Thanks,

SDP

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
Pulling out the emotional heartstring card, eh.  [ghost_grin]  Well, as I said, I love Seaview on so many levels. From its beautiful (and award winning) architectural design to the feeling I still get whenever I see it again, even in its current decrepit state - the exact same feeling that I experienced as a 13-year-old upon first locating the house back when DS was still on the air. But as much of an emotional touchstone as the house is for me, I would still rather see a different house used in the Depp/DS film.

I can certainly relate to the feeling that for many fans Seaview IS Collinwood and no other house will really be Collinwood to them. I originally felt that way about Lyndhurst. As architecturally outstanding as it is, for the longest time I never fully accepted it as Collinwood. But that had more to do with the notion I'd had in my head that I didn't see Lyndhurst as the type of house that could have the closed off wings that were so much a part of the original daytime DS. But that wasn't fair to Lyndhurst because hoDS and NoDS aren't the original series and their Collinwood shouldn't be judged by what Collinwood is like in the original series because those films are completely separate from the original series. Interestingly, though, after seeing photos of Greystone, after seeing how Greystone was "enhanced" for the '91 series, and particularly after learning the completely different backstory of Collinwood, I instantly accepted it as Collinwood. I suppose for me acceptance is all about separating the original series from any and all other versions of DS - and having a different house be Collinwood goes a long way in helping that separation. Seaview as Collinwood is an icon I will always lovingly associate with the original series. But I don't really want to associate Seaview with other versions of DS because they aren't the original version of DS, nor should they be expected to be. They should be allowed to stand completely on their own.

Sorry. That's just the way I feel.  [ghost_smiley]

And as for choosing with one's heart, well, often times our hearts will lead us down paths that we shouldn't go, paths that would be best for us to avoid. The heart isn't the most reliable or objective decision making organ.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
I believe that using one of the iconic sites such as Collinwood in this movie will make it all the harder for some fans to fully realize this DS movie is not going to be the one they grew up watching or their folks watched as teens.

Nancy

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »
Once again, I want to respond to Guy’s desire to have Seaview used as Collinwood in the Depp/Burton movie. This entire discussion began when a group of us went on a Dark Shadows road trip after the festival to Norwalk, Essex and finally Newport. We stayed two days both inside and on the grounds of Seaview at the invitation and blessing of the owners, the Carey family. I had been to Seaview in 2003, but only on the outside. A handful of people were making their first trip. Needless to say, the consensus was that it is a big thrill to walk the grounds, as well as the halls, stairways, corridors, and even the tower room of Collinwood.

When the Carey family said they would love to have the mansion used in the Depp movie, we began discussing some sort of movement to get Depp/Burton to use Seaview. This can be done most effectively if there is a huge groundswell of support for Seaview.

I can only reiterate my own view, which is that Seaview will always be Collinwood, more than Lyndhurst, and certainly much more than Greystone. What makes any kind of remake of Dark Shadows appealing is its connection to the original series, in whatever forms that may take. Seaview is the only star that appeared in every episode (save the first one, I believe). There is no doubt that the emotional attachment to Seaview is the main factor. To me, all other considerations, such as clean up and computer enhancements, are purely technical, with no bearing on my wish to have the true Collinwood used in the movie.

Frank

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 03:41:12 PM »
Knowing a little of Tim Burton's sensibility, I don't think the original Collinwood would be anywhere near creepy or crazy enough to serve as the mansion in the new movie.

My thoughts about how "Collinwood" will look in Depp Shadows start out with the Disneyland Haunted Mansion *on acid*, and veer radically into superphantasmagoric baroque insanity from there.

I also seem to recall Burton's sense of horror vacui as a stylist resulting in cluttered, manicky kinds of sets and interiors. 

As far as this fan is concerned, there's no danger whatsoever in confusing the Depp/Burton project with the classic series.

G.

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »
I believe that using one of the iconic sites such as Collinwood in this movie will make it all the harder for some fans to fully realize this DS movie is not going to be the one they grew up watching or their folks watched as teens.

"Ironically", I have to disagree with you. [ghost_wink] However, I would be interested in your thoughts as to why "some fans" (as vague as that is) would have a hard time distinguishing a 2010-2011 Theatrical film with a late 1960's early 1970's television soap opera?

[ghost_smiley] [ghost_smiley] Thanks in advance Nancy  [ghost_smiley] [ghost_smiley] [ghost_smiley]
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »
I can't speak for Nancy, and I could be way off, but here's what I think she meant. Many original fans always seem to compare every succeeding version of DS to the original. I suppose that might only be natural. But sometimes it gets in the way. It's not that anyone would confuse a new film done today with the series done back in the '60s and '70s - it's that watching a new version of DS that featured Seaview would be frequently reminding original fans of the original show, and instead of sitting back and totally immersing themselves in the new version and its world, they would be taken outside that world by seeing Seaview, which in turn could prove even more detrimental to allowing the Depp/DS film to completely stand on its own and in its own DS universe. Not that that would be a factor for all original DS fans - but even just going by the posts on the forum that have been made through the years regarding the newer versions of DS, it would be for many. (The same holds true for me when it comes to using the original stars in newer versions of DS. I prefer not to see them used - at least not until those versions have already firmly established their own identities and universes.)

Changing reels entirely:
Needless to say, the consensus was that it is a big thrill to walk the grounds, as well as the halls, stairways, corridors, and even the tower room of Collinwood.

Thanks to a member of the cleaning staff that I had befriended back in '97, Midnite and I and John_in_NC had the pleasure of seeing the tower room back in '01 just after it had been remodeled for use as a dorm room. Photos of the room were posted in the Members' Archive - but since that section isn't currently open, here are two:

Too bad you didn't get to see it before it was remodeled - back when it was used strictly for storage - and the rumors were that it was haunted.  [ghost_wink]  It was amazingly creepy looking back then.

Seaview is the only star that appeared in every episode (save the first one, I believe).

Seaview was definitely in the first ep. Who can forget the great shot of the crescent moon shining over the house?

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 04:06:08 AM »
There is only one Collinwood and it is Seaview. It would, for me, contect the old and the new. If the Collins family lived on after the end of the first series they would still live in Collinwood.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 06:30:02 AM »
I vote for Seaview. [ghost_smiley]

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 07:13:43 AM »
She got it! Thank you, Mary!

SDP

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
If you merely wanted a yes/no/i don't know answer, then you should have set up the question as a poll.  [ghost_wink]  So I'll do that for you.  [ghost_smiley]

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 01:01:11 AM »
MB's pix above....

This is where I'll be sleeping this coming Halloween!!!

SDP

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 03:26:15 AM »
You want to sleep in a room that's supposedly haunted? Or is the possibility that it's haunted that's the attraction?  [ghost_wink]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 03:40:08 AM »
I'd sleep in it haunted or not and I'll be close enough to know if it is, this Halloween. [ghost_grin]
May you die before you want too.