Author Topic: Saturday at the Fest  (Read 5840 times)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday at the Fest
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 12:57:25 AM »
Irishcoda, I'm very surprised to hear about your problems at the Fest. [shkdg] I couldn't afford to go this year, but I went to the last 6 Fests starting in 2003, and it seems to me that the disabled fans got to sit up front, and were brought up to the front of the autograph lines. Their treatment of you was deplorable!  [ghost_tongue] It really burns me up! [ghost_mad] You should definitely contact Jim Pierson about this. I don't know if you are on Facebook, but Marie Wallace is there. You could post something about it. There are lots of DS fans on Facebook. I'm sure something could be done about this problem so it doesn't happen again.

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 03:21:23 AM »
Sally,
That's what I thought I remembered too from 1999 and 2001.  I hadn't had the opportunity to go to a Fest until this time around.  But I remember that there was a place reserved for people with special needs and I do remember that they exited the room first and got on line first.  So I just assumed it would be the same this time around.  I am on FB and I did leave a post to Marie about the Fest, regretting that I didn't get to see her because there weren't accommodations for mobility impaired folks.

Just a P.S. to everyone:  About other able-bodied people giving up their seats:  I don't know that they were aware of our problem.  And for all we know, there were people with mobility issues that had to stand along the walls that we didn't see.  It was really really crowded in there and then the lights went out as we left the room.  All I know for sure is that a volunteer was the one who told us we couldn't sit in the seats because they were reserved for volunteers or stars.  I told her that my husband and I couldn't stand and she didn't say, oh, let's get you two chairs and bring them to the back of the room.  She said nothing at all except move.

People in wheelchairs were not all in the front.  A lot of them were on the sides, behind people already standing up.  As we were leaving, they were asking the standees to please move a little so they could see.  I thought it really stunk that there wasn't a section for the wheelchairs and people with crutches and canes.
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »
This sounds horrible, and I really think the organizers had better take heed.  I have only been to 2 fests: 1995 and 1997, and Midnite has just said that the latter had the highest attendance.  It was too long ago to recall what, if any, the arrangements for the disabled might have been, but I do remember there being some major crowd problems.  In particular, the crowd waiting to get into the room to see the Selby play in 1997 was an insane situation, and clearly a fire hazard, to boot.  I recall people on the AOL board and others trying to voice their concerns, and even offer a few simple suggestions that might improve the dangerous situations in the future, and it mostly falling on deaf ears.  I think in some cases, people who offered to volunteer to help were blown off.   This type of stuff is probably one of the reasons I've avoided going to fests after that (the other that I was a little burned out on DS for some years, after watching it religiously for 7 or 8 years on the Sci Fi channel).  But these folks have been doing these fests for long enough that they really don't have an excuse not to know about issues for the disabled and for health and fire safety.

Cathy

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 04:18:49 PM »
Even if the crowd was within the fire code law, sometimes the set up of chairs or if groups of people are standing and blocking exist can make the difference.  A non handicapped/disabled person may have a chance to get out if a fire occurred but someone in a wheelchair, walker or who just moves slow due to age or arthritis is not going to have the same chance. Because we do have a large fan base with disabilities who are able to make the fest why not assign a section close to exit and close to the front so they can have those areas reserved.  Even just an area clear of chairs so those in wheelchairs can roll up close.
I'm one of those people that when I am in a crowded room or event starts thinking about fire and what I would do or what exit I would take. 
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
Update: Contacted J. Pierson/was Re: Saturday at the Fest
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who encouraged me to contact Jim Pierson.  I sent him an email today and am following up with a letter to him.  Here's hoping for better planning in the future!
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney

Offline quentin-channing

• Junior Poster
  • Where's my milk? Oops, wrong show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:30 AM »
Yes, IrishCoda. Fingers and toes crossed!  I know I'm a little late to the party on this but I have to comment.  Good for you for following through with an email AND a letter. So many times people "let things go" but this really is unacceptable.

For a fest that has been around for some time not to have a plan in place for people with disabilities is ridiculous. And its one thing to not have it set up but then to basically dismiss your issue at the event TO YOUR FACE is just awful.   [ghost_mad]  You and hubby are fans just like everyone else and deserve to be treated with decency. Never mind you paid to be there and had to spend time and money on travel. I'd love to know if anyone else over the years with issues has complained  loudly enough because it seems not to be a concern by the folks running things.

Anyway, please keep us updated on what happens with this. I don't have a disability but it makes me angry knowing if I did that I would have gotten that kind of treatment.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 06:10:04 AM »
This relates to another issue--- there WERE many more people signed up as volunteers (including myself)
who had basically nothing to do most of the time, even though many were good about showing up for assignments.

No doubt, this is one task some of the numerous would-be volunteers could have been given, assisting handicapped and so forth.    

You are right, this WAS done better in the past, and not so very long ago either.  I hope your efforts to communicate with Jim Pierson have positive results.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 03:30:09 AM »
Irishcoda, I am so sorry that this happened to you and your husband!  It's terrible that none of the staff or volunteers were willing to accomodate you and that you ended up going home early.  I remember when you used to post on mrjuggins's old board.  It would have been nice to meet you had you been able to stay longer at the Fest.

I too was always under the impression that handicapped guests were given the opportunity to get autographs or be seated in the ballroom/banquet hall first.  Even on Sunday night while we were standing in the banquet line, one of my roommates noticed a number of people in wheelchairs who were toward the rear of the line, and she went back to inform them that they should move to the front.  Sure enough, when I entered the banquet room, I noticed people with canes and wheelchairs were already at the tables.  Perhaps your addressing the problem of no seating on Saturday finally motivated the staff to take action on their behalf.

I plan to send an e-mail to pansyfaye@darkshadowsfestival.com.  I'll begin by mentioning the things that I liked about the Festival (the banquet food was the best I can remember having in a long time, and most of the events did run on schedule) and then I'll bring up my concerns about the lack of consideration and assistance for disabled fans.  Hopefully, a mixture of praise with criticism will make her more receptive to instating changes.

ProfStokes

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »
Many, many years ago there was special seating for disabled people (I know because I assisted people in getting to the area) but more and more fans suddenly had crutches, limps and other ailments whereby they claimed they could not stand or see the stage very well and needed to be closer.  It was disappointing to learn being handicapped was a ruse fans would use to get better seats.  However, that said, there has been assistance and seating arrangements for wheel-chaired and special needs fans.  That was so the last time I was at a fest two years ago.

Cassie mentioned in her post that Jonathan Frid wouldnt be treated the way she and Ted were if he had special needs. 

But there, my friend, you are wrong: fans regularly are insensitive to the fact that Frid is an old man, hard of hearing, tires easily and tries to give all he can on stage for ALL fans while he is there.  Sometimes he has the energy to do all he plans, sometimes he doesn't.  You don't have to have any special knowledge to realize that someone in his mid-80s will tire more easily especially if he has traveled from Canada and prepared to participate in various ways at the fest.

I doubt that most of us would expect or demand as much from a relative who was in his mid-80s. 

I saw video of Jonathan Frid trying to eat at the banquet last week.  I was flabbergasted at the horde of two-legged ignorance that would not take no for an answer when he and/or those assigned to sit with him explained that he was trying to eat and would not do autographs and photos for people at his banquet table.    I would have had hotel security thrown the people out who kept pestering after being asked to leave the area and leave Frid alone but those who were with JF tried to remain polite but firm as possible.  If one approach didn't work, you could see these same fans trying some other approach around the other side of the table trying to avoid the first group of protectors assigned to Frid's table.

What the hell is wrong with some people?  You don't behave like that in the first place and in the second place, you don't make an old man's dinner difficult to enjoy in that fashion.

I don't care WHO it is, you don't treat someone in that fashion.

Nancy

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
Nancy brings up a good point. To have the fest run smoothly we need staff and fest goers to all pitch in and help.  Those few fans that behaved like that should be ashamed of themselves.  Bothering anyone while eating is rude and being persistant when told politely to he was not signing autographs is ignorant. Sometimes I think there are a few (thankfully) who think paying admission to the fest also means getting undivided attention from the cast.

I had an experience a few years ago while volunteering at the festival.  They made an announcement that handicapped could move up to the front of the line and I had a huge surge break the line and I told them handicapped first and they looked me straight in the face and said " Oh, we are handicapped"  Since I had seen them moving around fine most of the weekend I seriously doubted their claim and thought how rude to take a place in line that someone else deserves.

So, it boils down to the fact that we all need to be aware of our friends and neighbors at the fest or anywhere and offer assistance if it appears to be needed.  Give up a seat if you are a healthy adult who can stand for awhile and just be kind and courteous.  This applies especially to those of us who have attended many fest and know the ropes a bit.  I think it's nice when the newcomers can have the close up seats and be first in line to get autographs.  It makes it a good experience for them and they return the next year.  Sorry, I seem to be rambling~
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »
It's incredible to think there are rude people like that who would treat our beloved Mr. Frid like he was some sort of souvenier rather than a gentleman who simply wants to enjoy his meal in peace after having given his all for his fans, and that there are people (obvioulsy, not a small number) who would pretend to be handicapped just to shove ahead in line when that is reserved for the disabled.

I wonder if it would be possible for providing some sort of "notice" for fest fans who are disabled?  Folks with things like wheelchairs, walkers, canes, oxygen, etc., are obvious, but there are some for whom it is not immediately apparent but are, neverthless, not in the best of condition.  Maybe when they register they can receive a special sticker containing something like the international sign for handicap access. 

Teresalita's account of the very apprently non-handicapped trying to utilize provisions for the disabled reminded me an an incident I saw way back when I was living in Las Vegas.  I was in a bank on a Friday afternoon so the line trekking to the tellers' windows was very long.  Standing in front of me was a gentleman, well into his senior years.  The sound of screeching tires from outside drew all of our attention through the panoramic windows as we watched a car tearing into the parking lot.  An elderly lady got out and raced across the concrete at break-neck speed.  The moment she got to the front doors and passed through them, she suddenly hunched over and "painfully" ambled her way past the waiting line, heading towards the front.  The senior gentleman in front of me raised his hand and made a thumb, pointing the opposite direction.  "Hey, Missus!" he shouted.  "The line's back there!"  She straightened up, glared at him murderously, and did a quick two-step towards the back of the line where she huffed in anger at being caught, tapping her foot.  The gentleman looked at me and growled:  "GD old people!  Some act so feeble just so they can get ahead in line and take whatever else they want!  Not on my watch!"

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 07:59:30 PM »
It's really terrible how people can be so small  !   I would never want to treat elderly folks like that ..   They are not
used furniture.!!    I live with my two older parents who are in their 80's  and my mentally retarded brother ,
Just couldn't hurt them like that at all,  you have to treat older people with respect  because you never know when
you might need them someday.    [ghost_smiley]
                                    Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 08:11:23 PM »
Cassie's incident was very much an isolated one in terms of how the fest handles handicapped needs.  Still, it should not have happened.  Some of the volunteers are themselves handicapped and their assignments are based on what accommodations can be made for them to fulfill them. 

One tip though: for events that are likely to be popular and have standing room early, get into the room early especially if you have special needs.  Everyone and their mother will be in there for a Frid presentation, for example.  Wheelchair-bound guests need a place to be where it is easy to get in or out.  Those who are not wheel-chair bound also have trouble seeing past fans who stand up in front of them.  Those standing fans should be asked politely to sit down. 

I do agree that the ballroom and other areas need to be better organized so there are clear isles in which to walk and wheel.

As for Frid, yes, it makes me angry on many levels when people diss him yet claim to be fans.  I remember so well being with him once years ago when two women came up to where we were eating and just started taking pictures of him. No hello, no "may I take your picture" nothing.   He was so angry that he swore at them and they fled.  I had never heard him swear at a fan before, never mind women but the incident made him feel as if he were in the zoo. It was humiliating to him.

nancy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
As for Frid, yes, it makes me angry on many levels when people diss him yet claim to be fans.

Interestingly, almost constantly dissing what one claims to love seems to be a major phenomenon in today's society. It would seem to be a complete dichotomy, but it's rampant.  [ghost_huh]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:43 PM »
Very true. [ghost_mad]

Interestingly, almost constantly dissing what one claims to love seems to be a major phenomenon in today's society. It would seem to be a complete dichotomy, but it's rampant.  [ghost_huh]