Author Topic: Fest Report / was Re: Time to "sign in".  (Read 11324 times)

Offline kyreb

• View Profile
Re: Fest Report / was Re: Time to "sign in".
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:09:36 AM »
I have never been to a DS fest - so what has been the usual attendance number?  Just curious how many of us (folks with good taste)  there are and how numbers are translating to younger generations (yes I would hurry home from school to watch DS).

My 3 children have grown up hearing about and watching a few episodes.  My 27 year old daughter likes the show, my 20 year old son could care less, but my 19 year old daughter loves it too (we are watching an episode right now)  She and I had even talked about the Fest this year, but she had to get wisdow teeth out!
BJ

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 05:57:52 AM »
kyreb, attendance over the past few years ranged from 1200+ (Brooklyn and Burbank) to nearly 1500 (Tarrytown-- Frid's first after a long hiatus).  The highest attendance was 3,000 in 1997 (at the NY Marriott Marquis) while DS was on the SciFi channel.

Hope your daughter does well after her surgery.

MirandaD

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 06:10:47 AM »
I thought Lara mentioned there were nearly 1500 in Burbank last year?  I could be wrong, that's just what I remember her saying.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »
That was the number given during the Fest, but ShadowGram reported "over 1,200" and I'm pretty sure Marcy gets the totals from the Festival staff.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 06:30:49 AM »
Great to hear about the Fest.  Keep it coming love! ;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
a subway to a train to a monorail to a shuttle...this was work!

as has been said there was a very sizable crowd this year.especially given the remoteness of the location.

a bit light on stars but obviously frid was the big draw so no matter.

sadly the big rumour around the dealers room was that diana millay was not in attendance because she is "unwell".sad.

picked up marie's book(autographed)and some fabulous pictures of alexandra(late 1960's publicity shots)looking very "bond girlish" in diamonds and furs.

a nice day.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 06:28:28 PM »
Well, at least those Depp fans will get the opportunity to see the original series and cast and see what all the hub bub is about.

It would be wonderful if that's what actually happens. And hopefully it will with some. But speaking from personal experience, if I go somewhere expecting something specific only to find out that it isn't happening, I make plans to do other things. For one, NYC beckons. And if I was a Depp fan who solely went to the Fest hoping to get news of the DS film, I'd probably prefer to go off and do something else with my time rather than spend it taking part in events for a show that I may have little knowledge of and no desire to get to know its original stars. Though I may not be a typical case because these days when I go to a Fest I rarely stick around for many of the events - just the ones that I might find particularly interesting (something like the screening of the '04 pilot or one of Darren's NoDS presentations or the appearance of a star I've never seen in person before). I mostly go to Fests nowadays to get together with friends. But one does hope that a good portion of the Depp fans will be curious enough to stick around.  [ghost_smiley]

One thing is for sure, though - it'll be very interesting to see what the Depp fans have to say about the Fest once they begin to post on the various Depp boards...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »
OMG on that first one.

I hope people realize that the Fest usually sells programs for $10 (and that includes postage) and not to bid over that amount.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
My goodness, talk about not waiting at least until the corpse is cold!

It reminds me of when we, back in 2004, sailed on the Queen Mary 2 on her maiden voyage to Geiranger, Norway.  As we were sailing up the fjord, helicopters (including one from National Geographic) were buzzing us, photographers hanging out, snapping pictures.  They followed us, snapping away, all the way to the village.  Within minutes after the anchor dropping, the tenders took us to the dockside where there were vendor booths selling T-shirts, stacked on the tables and displayed on hangers, emblazoned with the very pictures of us sailing and anchoring taken by the photographers who were just flying over us.  I have no idea how they did that; we were too stunned to ask, nor did we buy any.  You can't believe the prices in Norway.

Gerard

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
 The highest attendance was 3,000 in 1997 (at the NY Marriott Marquis) while DS was on the SciFi channel.

Ha, I was at that one, and yeah, it was insanely crowded.  I didn't realize it was a record holder  [ghost_smiley] but I haven't been to one since.

I'm surprised to hear that there was a lot of talk among Depp fans to go to the fest.  On the boards I visit, I didn't see any mention this year, though I do remember talk a couple of years ago when it was the first year after the film announcement.  So these must've been other communities than the ones I visit.  I hope they were polite.  Most Depp fans that I know personally are great people, and many of the ones of a certain age remember DS fondly.  But I have heard of some horror stories (pardon the pun) about overcrowding and such from some premieres and the like.  I can only speak about the 3 benefit concerts I went to where Johnny played with his band, and they weren't too bad at all, but maybe we were just lucky.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 03:08:48 PM »
That's very sad about Diana Millay.  I hope that she gets better if it is true that she is "unwell."

It must have not quite seemed like a Festival without Diana ... she is always one of those people who just seems to be everywhere, and was always tremendously outgoing with the fans...

G.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 05:01:22 PM »
Thanks to all for the reports and info.  Always fun for those of us who can't make it to the fest.  [ghost_grin]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50:51 PM »
I'd LOVE to hear about "Bewitched Shadows" (witch vs. witch?) by the Collinsport Players.  To see photos too.  Anyone?  [beg]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »
Well, I did get to speak to some of my gal pals as were heading back to NJ and got an earful about the hotel, most of it not good.  Good food but slow to non-existent service, and yikes, really poor security!  And elevators that break down, trapping at least one VIP for a time.

Anyway, Donna Wandrey canceled due to illness.  When the usual show of hands for first-time attendees was requested, more than half the audience raised their hands.  Frid's family was in attendance, and his presentation of the fan choice videos was enjoyable, and (I think) prior to "My Fridean Connections" he gave credit to Nancy Kersey for the research.  He also introduced two of his loyal fans whom he has kept in touch with since the studio days, and who originally helped with his fan mail.

And I heard that "Bewitched Shadows" was an absolute delight, with Peter Mac playing Endora opposite Lara Parker's Angelique.  I would kill to see John Schaefer's Uncle Arthur; maybe next year!!