Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0840  (Read 3539 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0840
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0840
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:04:56 AM »
Now Petofi has Julia in his clutches. Looks like Julia got more than she bargained for when she came to 1897. [ghost_sad]

Quentin seems guilt-stricken about back-stabbing Barnabas and betraying Julia to Petofi, but Amanda seems to be a pleasant distraction (gag!) from dwelling on what he's done. [ghost_rolleyes]

I wonder why Tate's sketch did NOT come into being this time. Usually whatever he draws come to life the moment he's finished but not this time. Huh.... [ghost_blink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »
I was thinking that when Petofi told Quentin that he was his slave that many other people wished they could say the same thing.
Has Petofi thought this future thing through?  If he went there would he not be dead?  Why not go change the past so he could have escaped the werewolf curse and the gypsies all together.  How does he know he'll go to the right time anyway?
The I Ching need to be explained more as it to how get's people to the time they want. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 11:07:35 PM »
The story was that if Petofi got his hand back in time, he would become immortal.  And as such, he'd survive time travel.

The 1897 story started to spin out of control near its halfway point.  We're supposed to just go with it.  But that's not easy, I know.

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
The most interesting thing at this point is Petofi endeavoring to work out how the I Ching works, and what he must do to go to the future.   Be patient.    It's much better finding out slowly.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »
We're supposed to just go with it.  But that's not easy, I know.

DS often requires a boatload of suspension of disbelief.  [ghost_grin]  And at least when it comes to the supernatural elements within the show, I don't generally have a problem with that.

Changing gears, I love these shots of Julia's face when she's trying to remain defiant with Petofi:

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 08:29:33 PM »
I love horror and scifi, so the fantastic and unreal are cool with me.  And I'm beyond cool with the curses, witchcraft, gods, premonitions, and even the splendid other world of the Phoenix that we get in the early half of 1897, and I appreciate that the writing made sense of each turn of the plot.  But in the later half, we get (along with the influx of new characters) wild information that leaves even the attentive fan scratching his or her head.  And it doesn't help that by this point the timeline bears little resemblance to what it was originally.  While the plot holes are fodder for speculation, they also bring mounting questions in the Watching Project that just simply have no right or wrong answer.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
While the plot holes are fodder for speculation, they also bring mounting questions in the Watching Project that just simply have no right or wrong answer.

And speculating is what these discussions are all about. Some of the most fun in the WP topics is reading the speculations that some fans come up with. Well, so long as the speculations don't ignore what's already been established as fact.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
Definitely!

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »
One thing that was really cool about this year's fest was Frank Borzellieri.  I have a feeling he made a similar presentation at the fest last year but this was the first time I'd heard it.  He was saying that anything is possible as long as it doesn't violate the law of physics.  He went into going back into time and changing the past, i.e. what you mentioned about Petofi.  That's been discounted before because it could create a paradox *but* he provided an explanation of how it could happen.  It's a conjecture so far, hasn't been proven.  If Petofi went back to change things so he wasn't a werewolf, he might create a parallel world then and there.  It's not anything proven but ya know--if we could think it, maybe someone will be able to prove it.  Look at what Einstein was able to do!
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 11:26:12 PM »
The most interesting thing at this point is Petofi endeavoring to work out how the I Ching works, and what he must do to go to the future.
It's been fourty years since I've seen these episodes; so, I'll have to see where it goes, but it seems to me that there is a lot of  laziness on the writer's part  in following what had gone before or ignoring it to fit the characters into the direction they want to go .  The only thing I remember about the Petofi storyline is that [spoiler]He takes over Quentin's mind for a while[/spoiler]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:01 AM »
If Petofi went back to change things so he wasn't a werewolf, he might create a parallel world then and there.

I've heard SF fans repeat this idea endlessly for years, without explaining the supposed physics.   A parallel universe occupying the same space at the same time?   Don't you think it might take more to create an entire universe than someone choosing paper instead of plastic, say? 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 07:05:17 AM »
I've heard SF fans repeat this idea endlessly for years, without explaining the supposed physics.   A parallel universe occupying the same space at the same time?   Don't you think it might take more to create an entire universe than someone choosing paper instead of plastic, say?

Nope. The theory says that whenever there are different choices presented to us, we do indeed make each choice, and each choice creates it own parallel world. It's all part of Quantum Mechanics and String Theory - and we've discussed it here on the forum before. I even once provided a link to a PBS special on the subject.

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »
Nope. The theory says that whenever there are different choices presented to us, we do indeed make each choice, and each choice creates it own parallel world. It's all part of Quantum Mechanics and String Theory - and we've discussed it here on the forum before. I even once provided a link to a PBS special on the subject.

Well, I do think it would have to take more than that.  Anyway, I can't do that kind of research with my eye problem and if it's video my computer won't show it... not that's anyone's fault, just stating facts.   I do to find a relatively summing-up of all this...

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 02:16:38 AM »
The theory says that whenever there are different choices presented to us, we do indeed make each choice, and each choice creates it own parallel world. It's all part of Quantum Mechanics and String Theory - and we've discussed it here on the forum before. I even once provided a link to a PBS special on the subject.

I wonder if that PBS special is still around or online?  I love google!

Mr. Borzellieri did talk about how parallel time is still just conjecture but like relativity and worm holes could eventually become proven.  He started off his talk with examples of things we used to think were impossible...and now have become every day items.  Cars.  Computers.  The shuttle.  So I'm pretty sure Hawking's conjectures will become fact too, hope in my lifetime! [ghost_smiley]
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney