Author Topic: Quentin's Boudoir Eyes (August 6 NoDS capture)  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin's Boudoir Eyes (August 6 NoDS capture)
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »
GP was the original form of the rating that the world now knows as PG-13.  Before that it was M, for Mature audiences only (if memory serves).

I expect that it meant that they played the scene with much heaving of the bosom and lips brushing against cheeks and that was about ALL. 

cheers, G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 01:27:33 AM »
I used to have a copy of her script with notes and it was lost in a move! :(  UGH!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »
Last night, while looking for something else, I did find my copy of "Dark Shadows II" with Grayson's notes.  Really quite fascinating.  MB is correct--the words about intercutting the scene of Quentin and Angelique briefly making out together with a shot of Carlotta's face in some sort of sexually excited state are in Grayson's handwriting.  Regardless of what Sam says now, I do wonder whether including this element more explicitly may have been discussed at the time.  On the other hand, I bear in mind Grayson's remarks in a number of interviews, most memorably in the 1982 "Grayson Gathering" tape, about how much more interesting it is for an actress to decide she "has a secret" about a character and to play certain scenes with "the subtext" of that secret in mind.  (In one of the interviews printed in TWODS after her death, GH gives a whole little discourse on the meaning and significance of "subtext" for an actor.  A fan who became a friend of hers reports somewhere that GH would in some cases write out pages and pages of notes for "subtext" in a given role.  I've often wondered what her notes for Julia's subtext--over the years in the TV show--would have spoken about.)

So, my thought at this point is that by and large, a lot of Grayson's notes about Carlotta's role as the physical link that made it possible for Angelique to act as she did in the world of 1971 were probably her own ideas--her "secret" for the character.

One note that surprised me is that in the scene where Carlotta arrives to find that Quentin has just cut her nephew's face open, Grayson describes Carlotta's reaction as having an element of "animal excitement."  I think that Sam and Dan (and Lela, if she was around) must have vetoed Grayson playing the scene that way...

G.