Author Topic: The Vampire Diaries at Comic-Con  (Read 7507 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Vampire Diaries at Comic-Con
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 01:59:39 AM »
This LA Times review (today's Calendar) states that all that's missing from TVD is Barnabas--

'The Vampire Diaries'
Amid the many Count Dracula-esque cliches, it's a good old-fashioned Gothic love story.

--and compares the tone of the new series to "the fabulous 'DS'."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 02:28:33 AM »
I definitely enjoyed the first ep. It lived up to the advanced word, and that isn't always the case. And, yes, there is a DS-like tone to it.

Is it perfect? No. But no show is. And perfection is an unrealistic expectation, anyway. But I certainly think it's going to be a fun ride. And hopefully it will do well enough to last.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »
For anyone who may have missed the show last night, I noticed that the CW is running it again at 8pm ET tonight.

And BTW, last night the show set record ratings for the CW.

Offline nightshadows342

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Fan Videos
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 06:28:59 AM »
I watched the Vampire Diaries.  It wasn't too bad.

I was reminded of a mixture between Twilight, Dark Shadows and Angel.  Since the series Vampire Diaries came out before the Twilight books, I would have to say that Twilight must have ripped off it really badly because those two were very similar in premise and setting- though Vampire Diaries had more going on.  Seems that the young girl looks oddly like the vampire's old love (Josette anyone?) lol.  I find it kind of annoying that they always do that same vampy shot of a vampire leaping off a roof, and they never give it the correct physics- they always fall too slowly like they've obviously got wires on.  I don't know.  If the new Dark Shadows movie does that I'm going to cover my eyes.   That's like the trend, and they always make it look so stupid.  ugh!  Sorry! Rant over.

All-in-all, I thought it was a nice looking show.  The script was ok.  The story was pretty interesting.  The cast are all very pretty looking- the whole cast looks like it stepped out of a fashion magazine.  Atypical of a station that has Gossip Girl and America's next top model running on it.  But at least they are good actors too- I also tuned into a new show called "Glee" (basically like Highschool musical in a tv series), and I thought the actors looked far too old to be playing Highschool kids in that, and the characters were all so stereotypical and over-the-top (which might be for humor value, but I found it a little obnoxious).  At least the characters in Vampire diaries seem to have a little depth to them.

I'm used to the actor Ian Somerhalder typically playing wimpy and/or prissy CA. Boys, it was interesting to see him as the bad vampire.

I'll definitely watch the next episode.
Dark Shadows Fan Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/scareolyn

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
While commenting on the show on tvguide.com, one person compare the show to a mix of Angel, DS and True Blood, like that's a bad thing. I don't see why it should be.  [ghost_huh]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
I personally loved it.  The ring reminded me of a mix between THE RING OF AMARA on Buffy and Barney's ring.  The whole past love was very DS. I really loved it and will enjoy it while True Blood is on hiatus!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 08:22:27 PM »
Taeylor, did you flashback to the '91 series' pilot when the ambulance/paramedics were there to deal with TVD's Vicki after her attack in the woods. That scene from the '91 series was definitely the first thing that went through my mind.  [ghost_wink]  And I also thought that the opening attack of the girl on the road was reminiscent of Carolyn's attack in the '04 pilot. Not that I'm accusing TVD of ripping off DS - I mean, there are bound to be similarities. What's interesting about TVD, though - and very different from DS - was that almost immediately upon waking up in the hospital, Vicki remembered that she was attacked by a vampire and actually told her brother as much. That's something the victims on no version of DS ever did...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
I just saw that tonight at 8PM ET the CW is running it yet again...

Offline CallieWL

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Tribute Page
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
Well, I didn't care for it and don't plan to watch it again.  I came off like a Twilight re-make to me, and even the lead actor reminded me of the guy in Twilight.  (Something in the brow & eyes.)  Maybe if I'd loved Twilight, it would be different.

Aside from that, they obviously were building more backstory and plot lines so they'll have something to work on in future eps, which I thought was a good thing.  But none of the characters drew me in at all, though the evil brother was the most interesting.  I'm afraid it was a bit of a snooze for me personally.  Maybe I'm just missing shows with more mature actors!  (Seeing as I'm old enough that I watched DS when I was a kid.)   [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »
Never having seen Twilight or having read the books (and the more I hear, the more I think I might never bother to check anything Twilight out (and more than anything else I'm referring to the whole metaphor for sexual abstinence rather than an actual vampire story)), thankfully I'm not burdened with comparing anything to it. And not having read any of The Vampire Diaries books either, I'm encouraged by the fact that everything I read about them with regard to TVD series says that they're basically nothing like Twilight - and supposedly that's going to become readily apparent as the series progresses.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 12:57:38 AM »
I started watching the pilot Sunday evening and after about 15 minutes, I changed the channel.  I didn't think it was bad; I just can't get into that teenage 90210-type stuff, even if it has vampires.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 07:32:46 AM »
I had mixed feelings.  I wasn't thrilled with it, but it seemed to have possibilities.  I figure I'll watch 1 or 2 more to see how it goes.  Unless we're not supposed to know yet that he's a vampire and they'll explain things later, I was trying to figure out how he was able to be going to school during the daytime.
Josette

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »
I thought it was surprisingly good! [ghost_smiley]

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »
If anyone missed it and wants to catch up before this Thurs. they can download the first episode from iTunes and it is free.   [ghost_smiley]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
Another review: 'Vampire Diaries' review: Teen drama has a bit of a bite

The review explains how the show's vampires can appear in daylight - which explains why Stefan was so upset at having lost something, and why Damon taunted him that daylight was only a few hours away.

(And I love this remark: '44 minutes of "Vampire Diaires" is way more enjoyable and entertaining than sitting through 120 minutes of "Twilight." Which bodes well for the weekly series.' Take that, Twilight!  [lghy])