Author Topic: i looked for the pen!  (Read 2125 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i looked for the pen!
« on: July 28, 2009, 02:18:09 AM »
i just got back from a lovely weekend at the maine coast.

saturday was beautiful but sunday was cold and misty and gray and i felt like i was in collinsport.

i went for a walk along the shore and as i combed for shells and seaglass more and more i found myself searching for the silver filigreed fountain pen.

i wanted to experience the gorgeousness and the rareness and the value.

i know that too possess the pen would be to put one's very life in danger but it would be worth it!

for it to allow one to leave one's humdrum existence in favor of a life of mystery and intrigue and potential ghostly visitations.

but in the end i never found the pen and had to comfort myself with a plate of lobster pernod.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: i looked for the pen!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:01:26 AM »
i know that too possess the pen would be to put one's very life in danger but it would be worth it!

Exactly! To possess the pen is to possess one of the most beautiful and important objects to ever exist in all of time.  [ghost_smiley]

but in the end i never found the pen

How sad.  [ghost_sad]  But perhaps you'll find it another time. That is if someone else doesn't find it before you...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »
Did you try looking for the afghan, mscbryk?  Should be a lot easier to find than the pen.  Check any room of any house at any time anywhere in Maine.  It always shows up.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »
One can only hope that the afghan and the pen will be featured prominently in the Depp/DS film! Perhaps we should spearhead a letter writing campaign now by blanketing WB, Tim Burton Productions, Depp's Infinitum Nihil, and Graham King's GK Films with demands for their inclusion...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:29:24 AM »
Did you try looking for the afghan, mscbryk?  Should be a lot easier to find than the pen.  Check any room of any house at any time anywhere in Maine.  It always shows up.

true i could have looked for the afghan but while i walked along that gray,misty shore i was really "feeling" victoria winters and decided to look for the pen instead. [ghost_wink]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:57:10 AM »
Glad you had a good time! Too bad about the pen. Where were you? I would have taken you out for that lobster dinner :D

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:44:01 AM »
The "PEN" isn't in Maine. It's in Newport, RI. Cliffwalk. Unfortunately, the only thing I found along the shore was garbage.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »
Where were you? I would have taken you out for that lobster dinner :D

i was in portland arashi but the beach we went to was in i think cape elizabeth...

and i went out for lobster TWICE too.to a place called "jay's" in the old port.

and yes i know the exteriors were actually shot in newport.i was just having fun.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 06:08:02 AM »
I would only feel comfortable with Michael Caine playing the Pen, and Sir Anthony Hopkins playing the Afghan.

Seriously, I've always wanted to live somewhere in the Maine to Nova Scotia area.  I love rocky, grassy areas and apprarently am not too concerned with loyalty to my country of birth.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »
I looked for the pen yesterday, at Cliff Walk.  I'm home visiting family and decided to wander around the old Carey estate while listening to the new dramatic reading "Echoes of Insanity".  The grass was very wet and my shoes got soaked.  There's a piece of heavy construction machinery sitting behind the house, presumably for some much needed repairs.  It was quite distracting though.  I also got some "who are you looks?" from people  who appear to have been administrators from Salve.  This was the first time I've ever felt like a tresspasser there.  It may have been paranoia though.  No one said a word to me. 

The water was gross. There was that foul smelling red seaweed literally turning the tide red.  I'm a Newporter and not normally squeamish about sea foliage, but the smell was quite unpleasant.  The water was extremely cold for a person who is now accustomed to Texas Gulf Coast waters.  Workmen were filling in wholes along Cliff Walk and the Newport Puplic Works trucks kept reminding me I was in RI not Maine.  All in all, I tried to immerse myself in the DS setting, and despite a few brief successes, I found it less satisfying than I thought it would be.

The audio book is excellent.  I plan to listen again on the long drive back to Texas on Monday.  I so don't want to go back!  If I didn't need my job, I wouldn't. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 02:25:59 AM »
There's a piece of heavy construction machinery sitting behind the house, presumably for some much needed repairs.

Stuff like that has been there off and on since 2000. But whenever I've been by I can't say I've seen much change in the condition of the house. I suspect they simply fix what they have to just to keep the house habitable and able to pass inspection. Even before this economy there wasn't enough money to do repairs beyond that. I shudder to think about the lack of money there must be nowadays...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 02:27:21 AM »
I would only feel comfortable with Michael Caine playing the Pen, and Sir Anthony Hopkins playing the Afghan.

Perhaps in the animated musical version.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
i was in portland arashi but the beach we went to was in i think cape elizabeth...

I am right in between Portland and The Cape, on the bay.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 02:52:02 AM »
Unfortunately, the only thing I found along the shore was garbage.

LOL I had marginally better luck when I went with the trip the Fest arranged in 03.  When walking along the Cliff Walk what did I (and a few other fans from various busses) meet but a black and white cat (well fed & healthy looking, with a collar, so it belonged to one of the nearby houses).

We had a great time calling "him" Joshua  as long as he hung around.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics