Author Topic: The Adam Storyline - your thoughts?  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
The Adam Storyline - your thoughts?
« on: July 15, 2002, 11:02:06 AM »
Well, i am a newbie, so this is my first time seeing these episodes.  I have to be totally honest that i have been rather bored with the adam storyline.  It doesn't do much for me at all.  I was so happy to see angelique return - her presence was needed  to spice things up a bit.  And now with Joe as the next victim - this is getting very exciting.  I think joel crother's last appearance is in 68, no?  He was on track to marry maggie - so either they must have a big break up fight, or he dies.  

it is too frankenstein for me - yuck

BTW -  dont spoil anything for me if u can ;D

Connie

Re: The Adam Storyline - your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 11:52:17 AM »
Well, i am a newbie, so this is my first time seeing these episodes.  I have to be totally honest that i have been rather bored with the adam storyline.  It doesn't do much for me at all.

Me neither.  Never liked it during its original run and I'm not watching it now.  Yuck is right.

But then, my daughter is starting to watch some of the shows for the first time, and she LIKES Adam.

Go figure.

-CLC   ?!?

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 12:02:33 PM »
I liked the concept of Adam, but once Nicholas gets his claws into him, the big guy changes into a person I don't much like.

We're heading into my favorite portion of this storyline now, with Ang's fangs at the ready!  This, IMHO, is what makes this storyline appealing.  No male is safe!

Love, Robin

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 12:11:08 PM »
cool to know that there are other night owls around:)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 12:15:49 PM »

We're heading into my favorite portion of this storyline now, with Ang's fangs at the ready!  This, IMHO, is what makes this storyline appealing.  No male is safe!

Love, Robin

Yep, I certainly agree...Good stuff coming up and you definitley will not fall asleep! :o
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2002, 05:05:40 PM »
I found Adam totally irritating at first, but I warmed to the story when they were exploring his relationship towards Carolyn.  I think it's already come out in the story that Adam has demanded a mate - I think the episodes regarding that are really bottom of the barrel stuff.  The intro of Tom Jennings was a much need shot in the arm (or bite in the neck) at this point, but I think they eventually short shrift his story and don't develop the character or situation as fully as could have been done.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 07:01:12 PM »
I used to hate Adam with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, but this time around I found myself much more sympathetic to the character.

Until about now.  And basically I spend much of the rest of this storyline wishing I could just slap all of these people upside the head, very, very hard ;)

There are some bright spots, however.  Always did like Marie Wallace and HAA usually does a great job with the crap they gave him to say and do.

Could do without the moronic writing, however.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2002, 07:13:23 PM »
I think it's a mixed bag.  On the one hand you get things like Tom Jennings (pardon me while I drool), that creepy Leona Eltridge, the fabulous, glamorous, diVOON Marie Wallace, and let's not forget some marvelous Barnabas/Julia moments.  Prof. Stokes has some great scenes, too, and Angelique is just so deliciously OUT THERE as a vampire.  And presiding gloatingly over it all is the sinisters, insidious, devilishly smarmy Nicholas Blair, one of my fave characters in DS history!

On the other hand ... Liz is away, Roger barely exists, way too much Jeff & Vicki, and Adam gets reduced to the level of a Mafia hit man (I'm charitably assumign that the writers were simply baffled by what to do with his character).  At this point I cringe whenever Adam or Jeff enters the scene--no, that's not quite true, at ANY point I cringe whenever a Roger Davis character is onscreen.

But to me, all of DS is like this.  There are weak spots in all the major storylines IMO.

Gothick

Offline mfmdpt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2002, 08:22:44 PM »
I used to hate Adam with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, but this time around I found myself much more sympathetic to the character.

I think Adam is very sympathetic in the beginning. The way they wrote his initial relationship with Barnabas and then his feelings for Carolyn is very well done. But then Nicholas gets ahold of him and it's all downhill from there as Adam gets turned into a one note character whose only purpose on the show seems to be to threaten Vicki and the Collins family over and over and over again! He has a few more good scenes with Carolyn coming up, but other than those it's best to turn the volume down whenever he's speaking! [lghy]
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2002, 09:12:58 PM »
I think joel crother's last appearance is in 68, no?  He was on track to marry maggie - so either they must have a big break up fight, or he dies.

Perankh:

First off, welcome! :)

If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere on the boards that Joel Crothers' last appearance was in the early part of '69. He's still has more storyline coming up, but I won't spoil it.  ;)

To the general question of the Adam storyline, I like it okay--I certainly don't have the intense hate vibe for it that I'm off other posts.

I think the story builds with enough drama and there are some twists along the way--especially when Nicky Blair gets involved.

And it has the required elements for a Dark Shadows storyline: it's romantic, gothic & creepy--all wrapped up in a dark little package.

But that's just me.

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2002, 09:57:32 PM »
This is the second time I've seen the Adam story line. I didn't care much for it the first time around. The Frankenstein rip-off just seems really childish. I have to admit though that during this second viewing I've grown more appreciative of Robert Rodan's portrayal of Adam.

I think this post-1795/pre-1897 story line is most interesting for the new characters it establishes. There's been a gradual shift in the focus of the series since the beginning when Victoria Winters, Elizabeth Stoddard and Roger Collins were the 'stars.' Now, of course, Barnabas is the focus of the series. Several key players leave the show during this period and new actors are brought in to take up the slack. Nicholas Blair, the Jennings family and "Eve" are all excellent additions to the cast.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2002, 10:11:37 PM »
But can ya see the production planning meeting:

'Well, we had lots of good ratings with the Dracula rip-off, how 'bout FRANKENSTIEN?? '

'Yeah, then we can do BRIDE OF FRANKIE, SON OF FRANKIE [see 'terrifying' topic!!!], FRANKIE MEETS WOLFMAN, FRANKIE MEETS ELVIS AND COSTELLO......'

just a thought...

Ringo [jester]

but they never got around to THE MUMMY [coulda got the kid from Lost in Space]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2002, 10:51:47 PM »
but they never got around to THE MUMMY [coulda got the kid from Lost in Space]

Ringo, get a grip!  Now that's would have been just toooo silly! ;)
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2002, 01:54:33 AM »
Adam is my number 1 irritating character. The pity of it is that I LIKE Robert Rodan, I think he did a great job and deserved far more than I got with this puky character. I really wish they would have used him for another part in the future when appropriate, but no.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2002, 02:16:08 AM »
I really wish they would have used him for another part in the future when appropriate, but no.

Think of how much more interesting, say, Sky Rumson might have been had Robert Rodan been cast instead of the blank piece of cardboard who got the part... [wink2]