Author Topic: Sci-Fi Weekly Interviews Dan Curtis  (Read 1108 times)

Offline mrjuggins

• Full Poster
  • There's a moon out tonight ...
    • View Profile
    • The DS FAQ Homepage
Sci-Fi Weekly Interviews Dan Curtis
« on: July 14, 2002, 01:10:33 AM »

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/interview.html

Sci-Fi sent me the following link to the same interview in an email but it didn't work. Maybe they will fix the link later.

http://www.scifiweekly.com/issue272/interview.html

Tim

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: Sci-Fi Weekly Interviews Dan Curtis
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 01:33:59 AM »
From the Dan Curtis interview:
We had ourselves a hand puppet and another puppet that had a rod stuck up its ass and was held up above the floor. The floor of the set was held up by risers. We cut lines into the floor that were covered by the carpet and we had some idiot underneath running with this thing that moved [the puppet's] arms up and down and its legs. It was pathetic. [Laughs.] It was the worst-looking thing I had ever seen.

I would hate to be a SPFX guy who did work for Dan and later be referred to as "an idiot."

While I generally have a lot of respect for Dan, there are times that I marvel at the sheer cluelessness he is wont to exhibit. And I'm not referring specifically to the "idiot" remark, not by a long shot. This interview is representative of so many that he does, where real achievements by a lot of people he was associated with are glossed over or dismissed out of hand. He probably doesn't intend to be interpreted that way, but if I'd gotten to where he is, I think I might show a considerable amount of respect toward anyone who helped me get there, whether their contribution was large or small.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2002, 01:51:17 AM »
From the Dan Curtis interview:
I would hate to be a SPFX guy who did work for Dan and later be referred to as "an idiot."

While I generally have a lot of respect for Dan, there are times that I marvel at the sheer cluelessness he is wont to exhibit. And I'm not referring specifically to the "idiot" remark, not by a long shot. This interview is representative of so many that he does, where real achievements by a lot of people he was associated with are glossed over or dismissed out of hand. He probably doesn't intend to be interpreted that way, but if I'd gotten to where he is, I think I might show a considerable amount of respect toward anyone who helped me get there, whether their contribution was large or small.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

The only contributions Dan Curtis seems to think are noteworthy are his own.  That came across loud and clear in that strange documentary shown at the end of the L.A. fest.  
I'm grateful to the man for creating Dark Shadows, and especially for his foresight in preserving it...but let's face it, the success and continued popularity of the show cannot be contributed solely to him.  I have seen and read other interviews in which he expounds this point of view.  

MrsJ.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2002, 02:53:30 AM »
I read this interview when it was first posted here a few days ago.

I read it again after reading a few comments by other "cousins".

I've just read it a third time.

No matter how many times I read this thing, he's still going to come across to me as an arrogant jackass, who secretly resents the fact that the first sentence of his obituary is going to read "....best remembered for his Gothic Soap Opera, "Dark Shadows".

How pathetic.

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2002, 03:48:51 AM »
Quoteth Dan Curtis:
Any last words?

Curtis: Dark Shadows will live forever.

LOL well, you have to say, he's a dedicated, loyal fan. Do you think he actually watches the series, or just adores it cuz it's "his"?
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2002, 10:32:30 PM »
Quoteth Dan Curtis:

LOL well, you have to say, he's a dedicated, loyal fan. Do you think he actually watches the series, or just adores it cuz it's "his"?

Good question Daphne!  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 03:43:47 AM »
Quoteth Dan Curtis:

Or perhaps because it's because the show has made him so much money over the years ;)

Ever the cynic,
Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 06:12:16 AM »
Ever the cynic,
Luciaphil

LOL yes, Luciaphil, you are ^_~
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2002, 08:14:31 AM »
Quoteth Dan Curtis:

Daphne, I believe neither.  I feel his "last words" were those of irony: he won't be remembered for his award-winning mini-series, just a clunky soap opera about ghosts, witches, and vampires he did at the beginning of his career.  :(
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"