Author Topic: Ben Cross speaks DS  (Read 2664 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Ben Cross speaks DS
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:31:52 AM »
Just in the event this was not already posted ( I could not find this on a Ben Cross search) there is a Q & A on Dark Shadows and other projects he was involved in.

http://www.bencross.net/faq.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Ben Cross speaks DS
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:40:33 AM »
Thanks, jimbo!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:57:00 AM »
My pleasure Midnite. Interesting actor and person. I also just joined his Facebook page.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:52:30 AM »
I'm not surprised that BC said he didn't experience anything paranormal at Greystone.  I've never either and don't know of anyone who has, including a psychic friend who toured the grounds with me.   [ghost_smiley]

MirandaD

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:42 AM »
Thanks jimbo!  A nice read - I have to say that despite myself, I enjoyed BC's Barnabas and thought he was a credible version of the character, and I can understand why they wanted him to play the role.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:37:57 PM »
Midnite I do remember there is/was a youtube video showing Ben Cross being interviewed on the set of DS at Greystone when the lights flickered in and out and his reaction to that and he seemed a bit spooked by that. I think he forgot about that incident in this interview which was several years ago. Maybe Depp can find a cameo for BC as well. I wished I had the opportunity to go inside Greystone to get a "feel" of it. I would have liked to take the path where Barnabas' coffin was situated. I would love to take an inside tour of that mansion.

MirandaD I thought BC was a little tight in the first several episodes feeling out the character. But he certainly mastered the part. It is easy to criticize anyone playing Barnabas because of Frid's excellent portrayal of the character. I am sure there will be some who may not like Depp's portrayal of Barnabas. It's going to be real exciting watching Depp play Barnabas.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
This is great, Jimbo! Thanks for posting this. I actually love the way Ben Cross portrayed Barnabas. He hit so many nuances, IMHO. Of course, by the very nature of the way it was filmed, he had much more time and freedom than Jonathan Frid had, so I'm not taking anything away from "the master." Still, Ben Cross was phenomenal in the role.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
Adamsgirl yes you are correct in that Frid is the master. Ben Cross did an excellent portrayal of the Barnabas character. I think I may have misspoke a bit when I said BC mastered the part. BC was indeed phenomenal in the role. Wish we could have seen his portrayal evolve if the show lasted longer. We only really had a small sample of his performance.

MirandaD

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »
After seeing the '04 unsold pilot, I now enjoy and appreciate the '91 series much more than I did before!  I sat next to somebody who snorted the whole way through it (the '04 series that is).  [ghost_smiley] My favorite BC moments in the remake were the scenes with Sara which were so touching.  Chiller TV kindly showed a marathon that allowed to me to record the whole thing at once so I plan on rewatching.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »
Ah, the CNN interview when the lights went off and on a few times, though I recall only Bella Shaw making a deal out of it.

I still haven't been into the basement of Greystone either, jimbo.  But I'm hopeful to have the chance someday now that the bowling alley is part of pop culture.

I highly recommend the production of "The Manor" should one of their seasons happen to coincide with your visit to the area, but you must make your reservation in advance because it's still selling out after 7 years.  I do admit that it opens and closes a bit creepily with the "ghosts" of past party goers roaming the mansion's living room.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 07:16:36 PM »
Midnite I don't have a good recollection of the CNN interview so I thank you for setting the record straight. I remember Ben reacted to the flickering but Bella may have made a deal of it.

So you have not trekked down to its basement. When you do go, don't forget to carry a big cross. lol I mean you never know.

Thanks for "The Manor" information. That sounds like a lot of fun. I would be there in a second and take my chances with the ghosts. Seriously, I will keep "The Manor" in mind should I travel to California again which could be next year?

MirandaD the 1991 series seems to be getting a lot of attention these days. I see many people on Twitter checking it out. Ben's scene with a dying Sarah was real emotional. I wish the 2004 pilot is released on DVD. If I am not mistaken, the 2004 WB's Lost In Space unaired pilot was included on one of its DVDs. I can't confirm that at this second but I do remember reading something about that. Perhaps that pilot had all of the special effects done. Does anybody know this is the case?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »
My apologizes. It was the unaired pilot of "The Time Tunnel" that was included on its DVDs release. I don't believe the WB 2004 unaired Lost In Space pilot was ever released to the public (although some years ago I did see a copy at a Chiller Theatre convention being sold by a vendor).

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
So you have not trekked down to its basement. When you do go, don't forget to carry a big cross. lol I mean you never know.

[lghy]

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »
Jimbo, I doubt the 2004 DS pilot will ever be released on DVD. Isn't that what Jim Pierson has been saying at the festivals? Dan Curtis was very unhappy with it and felt it was "unfinished" and that he wasn't given enough time to fix it. Even the music wasn't set. I've seen it a few times now, and although I can see some similarities to the 1991 series, I can't see a lot to recommend someone buying it, even if they haven't seen it. I bet, though, it'll be shown once again at this year's fest. See you there! [ghost_grin]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »
Hi Adamsgirl. I think John Wells and Warner Bros. has the rights to the pilot but they too want to keep it buried. It would be nice if WB decided to complete the pilot but I guess that is highly unlikely. Personally, I would like to have a copy of it even in its incomplete format, just as a DS fan. More importantly, I am hoping WB permits the full restoration of NODS but it now seems we have a very long wait which is unfortunate.

See you at the Fest.