Author Topic: Dark Shadows complete dvd set on Planet DVD  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows complete dvd set on Planet DVD
« on: July 10, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »
Okay, so I've been buying the Dark Shadows dvds piecemeal, and the other day I was looking for a good price on set #12. I came across a website for Planet DVD (which I'd never heard of), in which the merchant was offering the complete series - all 1225 episodes - for $199.95. Does anybody here know about this merchant? Can this offer be for real? The box set supposedly even has the "Beginnings" episodes. I'd like to get this, as long as they aren't some rubbish quality bootlegs.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows complete dvd set on Planet DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
I heard about this a couple of weeks ago and checked it out just out of curiosity. I have the entire DS series already on dvd so I wasn't going to buy it.
This is pretty obviously a bootleg site. They offer lots of dvds that I know have never been releases yet, including complete series sets of prime time 80's soaps like Falcon Crest who have definitely not been released on dvd.
Avoid that site like the plague is my recommendation.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 03:26:30 AM »
i tried searching that site for DARK SHADOWS and got no results.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:48:24 AM »
I think this is what she meant--

http://www.planetdvdhouse.com/product.php?productid=38420

The site is called PlanetDVDHouse, formerly PlanetDVDStore, which is not the same as PlanetDVD or the more familiar DVDPlanet, sigh.  (Providing at least a URL for the home page is helpful.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 05:03:08 AM »
I also found some terrible online reviews for that site, CB, which you may want to investigate for yourself.  And maybe it's just me, but I do not like the lack of a customer service phone number or address.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »
I don't like the dishonesty of the site.  They try to make it look as if you are buying a legit authorized edition.  I bought a bootleg copy of Falcon Crest from a person on another site.  He made no attempt to sell the discs as anything but what they were, low cost copies of episodes of a show that's not available on DVD yet.  He also sold me Washington Behind Closed Doors.  These series are not likely to make it to DVD anytime soon, in their entirety.  If it's out on DVD, I'd either buy it from a place like Amazon or rent it.  As far as the moral issue goes, I use availability as the water mark  If the show isn't out, then it's impossible to pay a royalty, so I don't have a problem obtaining it through alternate routes.  If it is out, someone has to pay the costs, and I'll do so by either renting or buying. 

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
Please accept my apology for not providing a link to the site, cousins!

And thanks so much for your input - the link Midnite provided is indeed what I was looking at, and now I can see that these guys are NOT the more reputable Planet DVD.

Thanks to your assistance, I can now be assured that these are just some crappy bootlegs. No way will I buy anything from them. Should have remembered what my mother taught me years ago: "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!"

Again, thanks!  [ghost_smiley]
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »
Actually, the site owners do state in their Terms & Conditions that DVDs sold may be "individually compiled."

And I understand the motivation to add an unavailable (not released on DVD or OOP) movie or TV series to one's personal collection, but unless these films or shows are in the public domain, I hope fans aren't automatically assuming that some company does not hold the rights to them and therefore it's legal to copy, buy or sell them.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
I've been to the Amazon.Com website inquiring about info on Falcon Crest and at the bottom of the page there is an advertisement to get all 200 plus episodes of it on DVD.  If Amazon allows a vendor to advertise on their web-site, I have a feeling that it might be okay.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:02:38 AM »
Most Web sites don't check the legitimacy of their advertisers. Many even say as much in their TOS - as well as waive any claims of liability should visitors be scammed or otherwise hurt in any way if they chose to deal with those advertisers.