Author Topic: Johnny Depp future project poll  (Read 1433 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Johnny Depp future project poll
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:06:21 PM »
FYI Another web poll this time from IGN. Readers are asked to vote on which project they would like to see Depp tackle next. Barnabas is getting trounced by the Riddler but it's just another poll. Vote if you like.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1000903p1.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Johnny Depp future project poll
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:38:27 AM »
What I find most fascinating about that poll is that, not only are the most people currently voting for it (a whopping 66.4% - nearly two thirds of voters!), but the creators of the poll actually included a role that, not only has Depp vehemently denied ever being approached about portraying, but everyone in a high enough position to know (WB, Christopher Nolan, etc.) has vehemently denied even exists. They've also included Sin City 3, which Depp, just as recently as last week, has denied knowing anything about. It's a true testament to the twisted fact that many people will believe what they want to believe no matter what the facts actually are.  [ghost_rolleyes]  Not that that's a surprise - especially on the Internet.  [ghost_sad]  And not that I think Barnabas/DS could ever hope to top the poll. That distinction should honestly go to Pirates/Jack Sparrow because that franchise has been hugely popular. But I do think it's possible for DS fans to get Barnabas/DS a greater percentage in the poll than it currently has (a mere 5.3%). Let's start voting people.  [ghost_wink]

MirandaD

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:20:33 AM »
Well I did my part!  Not that I think Johnny is using the democratic process in order to determine his next role!  [ghost_cheesy]  Thanks, Jimbo for bringing that link to our attention.  MB, I find that most polls such as this are skewed, so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:26:14 AM »
Considering a few of the options on it, it's impossible to take seriously at all.  [ghost_cheesy]  That was basically my point.  [ghost_smiley]  Though it wouldn't be a bad thing to see Barnabsa/DS with a higher percentage than it currently has (which is now 6.4% - DS fans are apparently voting [thumbleft]). [ghost_wink]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 07:59:29 AM »
I'd like to be Johnny Depp's next project. [ghost_wink]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:01:44 AM »
I voted! [ghost_wink] Now DS is up to 6.8% - 3rd place. [thumb]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
I wouldn't worry about this poll- I think it is just based on popularity/familiarity with the IGN readers.  I'm guessing that IGN is a place that has a lot of Batman Begins/The Dark Knight fans. Remember how much TDK made at the box office!  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that is where their heads are going to be at- of course they'd vote for a role along their lines.  As for Sin City 3, I'm guessing there are a lot of fans of the graphic novel series on that site, as well, and they're probably all still hoping for 3 (and 2!) to happen.  I'm pretty sure Johnny is aware of the movie itself (he nearly appeared in the first one), but just hasn't heard anything about it, because nothing has been happening for several years (I'm not holding my breath for these sequels, either).  And Quixote is only on there because Terry Gilliam has been blabbing about it every chance he gets... Johnny himself has been trying to sound polite, but I get a very strong impression that he is no longer interested in this project (it's been 9 years since they started filming it the first time!) and now that he helped out Terry in Parnassus, I feel he would feel he has a pass to bail out of Quixote if he wants to.

At any rate, Johnny is enough of his own man not to depend on polls to tell him what to pursue  [ghost_wink]

Cathy

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
Twisted.
I voted anyway.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
I just voted, but our numbers are now down to 6%.

Gerard

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »
I noticed that too Gerard. Despite more people voting for Barnabas Collins, its total numbers have decreased. Is there a reasonable explanation besides that the fix is in? As Madscntst pointed out we should not be too concerned about this poll for the reasons she stated. But Barnabas should be given equal rights.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »
I'm thinking, Jimbo, it's maybe because the majority of people going to that poll have probably never heard of Barnabas Collins.  "Barnabas who?  You mean that detective guy who use to be on the Beverly Hillbillies?  They want Depp to play him?"

Gerard

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 11:37:04 PM »
lol Gerard. It seems we have a lot of educating to do but that is the DS producers' responsibilty. My math is not good these days but this poll sucks for Barnabas.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »
The nonexistent role of the Riddler is still surging (currently 69.8%) and Jack Sparrow has fallen significantly from where it was last night (currently 12.8% vs. 15.7%). By comparison, Barnabas is still up from 11:30 ET last night.  [ghost_wink]

But like I said before, it's impossible to take this poll seriously, so the ultimate results will stand for very little no matter how well or how badly Barnabas/DS might do...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 03:03:29 AM »
The final results are in but the best part is that the writer admits that Depp's next project is more likely to be in Dark Shadows or The Lone Ranger  than Batman. But we already knew that.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1001319p1.html

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 04:32:35 PM »
I voted - hope it helps.  [ghost_smiley]

A couple of thoughts...

Even if it existed, I can't imagine anyone wanting to take on the Riddler role - after Keith Ledger's memorable performance. And as sexy as he was in that pirate suit  [love7](((sigh)))[love10]  how many times should he have to drag that out of moth balls?

Nahhhh, it's got to be Barnabas...the kiddies may resist - but they'll be glad when the time comes.  [crowdhappy]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad