Author Topic: Casting NoDS  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Casting NoDS
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:19:21 AM »
While working on the new Movies Quotes Slideshow today, an interesting question struck me: if the original opening sequences of NoDS had actually been shot, what DS actor might have been right for the part of the hippy? The character in the script is simply described as "a young man, dressed in hippy apparel."

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Casting NoDS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:44:04 AM »
Michael Stroka seems the most obvious to me. 

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 05:46:33 AM »
Keith Prentice also comes to mind.  Pennock was already in the film, along with Storm and Karlen.  Roger Davis seemed to have been the antithesis of a hippie.  I suppose Briscoe could also have been considered. 

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, maybe in the two movies' screenplay book, that it was, indeed, suppose to be Michael Stroka.  But then, don't be too sure I read that right.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »
I thought that Michael Stroka was going to play the flamboyant antiques dealer in the Village.  God, I wish that scene had been part of the finished film.

I don't know whether the hippy would have been cast from any of the regulars.  Prentice, IMNSHO, would NOT have been good as a hippy.  Too square-jawed and "straight" (in the Sixties sense, not the current sense).   Brian Sturdivant might have been interesting--at least he had beautiful bone structure and would have looked tasty in hippy garb!

G.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 03:40:14 AM »
I heard from Keith Prentice (many years ago, of course) that he was supposed to play the "very mod" (read "gay") Gregory in the clothing store - if you don't think he had it in him, check out "The Boys in the Band," if you haven't seen it.  :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, maybe in the two movies' screenplay book, that it was, indeed, suppose to be Michael Stroka.

The DS Movie Book says that Stroka was "a candidate" to play the hippie. I honestly think he was too old (hippies not trusting anyone over 30 and all that back in the day - until they themselves became over 30 [ghost_wink]). I agree with Gothick that Brian Sturdivant could have been a good choice - especially considering the TPTB had already cast him in two roles on the daytime show. But I also think that Ray Carlson (PT's Aldon Wicks) or Tom Happer (1840/1841's Jeremy Grimes) might have been appropriate. Both were certainly in the right age range.

Changing reels, let's move now to casting "the very mod" Gregory, New York style boutique proprietor extraordinaire.  [ghost_grin]  The DS Movies Book says that either Stroka or Keith Prentice "would most likely" have played the role. I think either one would have been great. And I can actually hear Stroka delivering the lines whenever I read the scene in the script. But I sort of have a wish that Prentice might have played Gregory, if only for the fact that Stroka had at least appeared in hoDS, so giving the role to Prentice would have been a chance for him to appear in a DS film.

Other thoughts or possible candidates?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »
Ray Carlson was sooo adorable... I wish he had been brought back in some sort of supporting role.

Brian Sturdivant was in Diary of a Mad Housewife, an uncredited minor role in a party sequence--but I have yet to catch up with that film.  I could definitely see him playing mad and mod.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 01:29:18 AM »
Brian Sturdivant might have been interesting--at least he had beautiful bone structure and would have looked tasty in hippy garb!

Oh, Gothick!  You do have a way with words!

El Sturdivant also appears in Von Richthofen and Brown, which has been released on DVD and is available from Netflix.  According to IMDB.com, he plays a character named 'May'.

As for Ray Carlson, I have absolutely no recollection of him or his character, Aldon Wicks.  Anyone have a screen cap on hand?

I agree with MB that Tom Happer might have worked in the role.

I, too, wish the scene in the boutique had been filmed, as it would have likely been shot on Tarrytown's Main Street, with which I am quite familiar.  It would have been fun to see what the street looked like back in 1971.  I wonder if there was a suitable boutique already on the street that they had in mind to use.  And, yes, either Prentice or Stroka would have worked as 'Gregory'.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:41:14 AM »
As for Ray Carlson, I have absolutely no recollection of him or his character, Aldon Wicks.  Anyone have a screen cap on hand?

There's this from the Robservations Slideshow for June 3rd:

1970: Ep #1028 - While renting a house from Aldon Wicks,
Yaeger expresses particular interest with a basement room.

But I'd have to track down my caps from that ep to see if I have anything better, like a close-up...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 03:17:05 AM »
This is probably the best close-up I have of him:

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
What a darling!  Teen idol '70! 

His career seems to have gone nowhere, alas.  He also seems to have been on the verge of cracking up in his second scene in the episode...

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
Hmmm...I have only the vaguest memory of him, although he is rather pretty.  Is it me, or does he look a little bit like Beck?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »
I would like to have seen Louis Edmonds as Gregory. He really would have chewed some serious scenery.
Fade Away and Radiate