Author Topic: Robservations 7/12/02 - #558/559 - Nicholas' Romantic Designs  (Read 1478 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
558 - Barnabas paces his drawing room, wondering how Stokes is faring with Adam.

Stokes sticks around Adam's squalid room, and the big guy wonders why he doesn't leave and tell Barnabas what he said. Stokes is pondering the huge change in Adam, but doesn't believe what he told him is entirely to blame--someone has been teaching him all the wrong things--is it Nicholas Blair? asks Stokes. Adam insists he knows what he wants and how to get it, and keeping Vicki is the only way he can force Barnabas to give him what he wants. No matter how just your cause is, you're committing an injustice, insists Stokes, it should be kept between you and Barnabas--Vicki loves Jeff Clark, not Barnabas, and Jeff is very unhappy now--how would you feel if someone took Carolyn away from you and threatened her life? No, protests Adam. Why not? asks Stokes, if what you're doing is fair, then that would also be fair. Carolyn is good, says Adam. So is Vicki, counters Stokes--think about never seeing Carolyn again, then you'll know how those who love Vicki feel now. Adam turns away from Stokes, but you can see he is thinking about the professor's valid point.

Julia comes to see Barnabas. She was at the hospital and couldn't get in to see Tom Jennings--only his attending doctor can see him. Julia did see a few doctors who described it as a bite inflicted by an animal with fangs--so they were right--but there's only a slight chance Jennings will survive. We must get to him and find out who attacked him, says Barnabas--I'm still waiting to hear from Stokes, who was really surprised by Adam's actions--Stokes is eccentric but not evil--he said he would try to help them--he went to see Adam to try to persuade him to release Vicki.
Julia wonders why he didn't follow Stokes to Adam's hiding place, but Barn says Stokes warned him if he followed him, it might put Vicki's life in more danger. They must wait and trust and hope Stokes will succeed. He may well be their only hope.

Barnabas sits. Julia paces. Stokes comes to see them. He tells them of his talk with Adam. He doesn't know what's going to happen--they discussed Vicki, yes, but Adam kept refusing to cooperate. Stokes thinks his last appeal might have gotten through to Adam, and expects Adam will reach Barnabas by nightfall. What about Vicki, is she all right? Stokes assumes she is, but didn't see her. Adam hid her somewhere else, but Stokes doubts he killed her--Adam lacks maturity, but is intelligent, and knows if he harms Vicki, it will destroy his chances of getting what he wants. Julia asks Stokes if they should give in to Adam's demand, and Stokes says they must work one step at a time, perhaps his appeal to Adam's conscience will work. Stokes says if his appeal failed, nothing else will help--Adam will kill Vicki, and the only way to prevent it is to give him the mate he wants. Barnabas says that decision rests with Julia. Stokes asks her if Vicki is less dear to her than to Barnabas (loved the way he phrased that.). No, says Julia, she doesn't feel she's capable of doing the experiment from scratch, it's very difficult. Stokes doesn't envy her decision.
Barnabas asks if he feels someone else is involved in this, and Stokes is sure that is so--he couldn't have conceived this plot himself, and suggested Blair, but Adam denied it. Julia excitedly says she and Barnabas suspected Blair, too. If it's Nicholas, what could he gain? wonders Barnabas. Stokes doesn't know, but evil man Blair is, it's designed to further his own ends. Adam is being used and doesn't know it, says Stokes--they won't have to wait long, and he asks Barnabas to call him the moment they know Adam's decision. Stokes leaves. Barnabas and Julia stare soberly after him.

Adam lies in bed, contemplating--if someone took Carolyn, he'd never see her again. . .it is wrong, he can't do it! He leans his head on his knee, morose.

The House by the Sea - 8 PM - Nicholas gazes out the window at the lovely, clear night, thinking it's a good night for making wise decisions. Barnabas will agree to another experiment, Vicki will go free, (he brushes away a fly), Adam will be happy, and I am the one who will gain the most. He stares at his reflection, adjusting his tie, admiring himself. Adam pays him a visit. Nicholas is surprised to see him; he took a big risk. Adam kept thinking about Vicki, who Nicholas assures him is safe. Adam wants to see her; he's taking her back to Collinwood. Nicholas assumes Barnabas has agreed to his demands, but Adam says he hasn't. They can't let Vicki go now, then, protests Nicholas. Adam says what they did was wrong--Vicki is innocent and doesn't deserve to be hurt.
Nicholas says someone has been giving him the "do unto others." message. It couldn't have been Barnabas with the morality lecture, figures Nicholas, so who told him holding Vicki hostage is wrong? Adam admits it was Stokes, who has never lied to him. Nicholas says Adam felt bad not because Stokes was right, but if he sets Vicki free, how can he get Barnabas to cooperate? Adam says he'll find another way, but Stokes reminds him Barnabas hates him, he won't do anything for him unless he applies the right pressure. He felt bad because Stokes wanted him to feel bad, to have a guilty conscience, insists Nicholas. Adam us confused about right and wrong now. Stokes knew he was holding Vicki captive because Barnabas told him, so he's helping Barnabas, not Adam. Was Stokes trying to trick me? asks Adam, finding it hard to believe, but Nicholas points out that as long as he holds Vicki, Barnabas must go through with another experiment; if he lets Vicki go, he will never get his mate and live in loneliness forever. Stokes tried to tell him it's wrong to hurt Vicki, and they have no intention of doing so as long as Barnabas does what he wants--Barnabas will have to give in to him, and make a mate for him rather than see Vicki die. This is a test, says Blair, Barnabas matching his will against Adam's--whoever gives in first is the loser, so who has the strongest willpower, Adam or Barnabas. "ME!" says Adam belligerently. Nicholas promises to show Adam Vicki is safe, then go to Barnabas with his answer; the warlock, leading Adam to Vicki's room, is cool and smiling.

Old House - It's 10 PM and Barnabas and Julia are regretting not killing Adam that first day in the lab. Adam knocks at the door. Julia rises, staring at him. "Adam," she says. Adam tells Barnabas, "It's your decision to make, not mine." Barnabas asks if he is refusing to release Vicki. Adam says they'll discuss Vicki after he's created his mate. Barnabas asks about what Stokes said to him, and Adam says Stokes tried to trick him. Not true, says Barnabas, but Adam says Stokes is Barnabas' friend. Julia asks Adam if he doesn't realize this is wrong. Adam replies that he's tired of talking of right and wrong. He's seen Vicki, she's safe, but after tonight, he doesn't know what will happen. Barnabas turns to Julia--the ball is in her court now. Julia says she needs time for this decision, but Adam insists he wants his answer now. Barnabas tells Julia they have no choice, Adam means what he says. Julia agrees they can't let Vicki die, and promises to try. She can't guarantee success, but will begin another experiment. On one condition, says Barnabas, they will begin after Vicki is released. No deal, says Adam, you will see Vicki when you are finished. Barnabas says they need time, and he can't hold Vicki until then. Vicki deserves to be free, says Barnabas, but Adam insists on holding Vicki. "Then we will not do what you want," says Barnabas. Adam asks if he's willing to let Vicki die, but Barnabas assures him he can trust him to begin the experiment after Vicki's release. Adam doesn't trust him, but Barnabas says no release, no experiment. Are you testing me? asks Adam, but Barnabas assures him he means everything he says--Adam gets his mate only if they get Vicki first.
Adam agrees to let Vicki go free, but warns him if he doesn't keep his word or try to trick him, he will get Vicki, kill her, then turn on everyone in his family, everyone who bears his name, and kill them, one by one! (Sounds more like Angelique's son than Barnabas', doesn't he?)

NOTES: So thanks to Nicholas' influence, son pushed father to the brink and Daddy agreed to his terms--but he insists that Vicki be released before the experiment will take place. Adam, in turn, warns Dad that if he doesn't comply, not just Vicki but every other Collins will die. Does that mean Liz and Carolyn are safe? Well, Carolyn, we would assume.

And Stokes, brilliant man that he is, asks Adam how he'd feel if Carolyn were being similarly threatened, and he almost got through to him--until Nicholas again intervened.  Heavy issues!

559 - Nicholas preens, admiring his reflection in the mirror. Angelique drifts in and asks him if he's admiring himself again. He says sure--he has every reason to. Do you? she asks. Yes, all my plans are working out perfectly, he boasts. She is surprised to hear Barn has agreed to another experiment for Vicki's freedom, and comments that her former husband must love Vicki very much. That must be most distressing, teases Nicholas, and if Barnabas had loved her half as much, she wouldn't be where she is today. She asks if he's really planning to release Vicki. Yes, he says. How can you, knowing Adam abducted her, and kept her in a room in the house? She wonders. Nicholas shows her the mirror, which doesn't reflect her, but only Nicholas (we do see a bit her of her and forehead, mistake there). The mirror shows Vicki sitting on the bed in her room. Nicholas explains he's allowing Vicki to escape--she will get the biggest surprise of her life. The door opens by itself and Vicki looks at it. She rises to her feet, looks out cautiously then slowly, almost as though she doesn't believe it, exits the room. Ang asks Nick what she's waiting for. Nicholas explains she's afraid of what lies beyond the door, and it isn't her time yet. Vicki steps out of the room. Ang asks what he's going to do to Vicki. Nicholas tells Angelique to find a hiding place and watch--she might learn by watching a master at work--Ang called him conceited, but he says at least HE never makes the same mistake twice (oh, no?) Vicki walks downstairs, still slowly, fearfully. She glances into the living room, then tries the door to the outside, which she finds locked. She enters the living room, checks the window and finds it locked, too, and she can't seem to unlock it. She continues to look around the room, finding another door, which she rattles and finds locked, too. She hears the tinkling music from Josette's music box, then Nicholas Blair's voice, which she doesn't recognize. She says she's never been to this house before, but he says of course she has, look around! She asks, "Where are you? Please let me go!" He tells her she can go as soon as she tells him who he is and where she is. She knows neither, and he says then she must stay. She shakes her head, upset. The music grows louder, and she begs him to stop it. Where would you hear Josette's music box? he asks. The Old House, she replies. And that's where you are, Nick's voice tells her, but she denies that. He tells her to think harder, remember what happened--she left Collinwood to come to the Old House to see "me". You aren't Barnabas, says Vicki, and he says to think again--she's in the Old House, isn't she? Vicki is unsure, and he tells her to try to cooperate or he won't be able to help her. Does she know who he is yet? She thinks so--Barnabas. Splendid he praises her. Where are you? he asks, and she replies, "The Old House." When she leaves, she will go to Collinwood, she says, because Jeff is waiting for her and she's late. He tells her to go home, hurry, she doesn't want Jeff to start worrying, does she? He tells her to go to the door, open it, and return to Collinwood. "Back to Collinwood," repeats Vicki, and exits easily through the front door. Nicholas and Angelique, grinning, observer her departure, Nick very proud of himself indeed.

Angelique asks Nicholas if Vicki will remember anything, and he assures her Vicki's last few days were a complete blank. Nicholas takes his hat and gloves, he has something to do. She asks if she should stay there, bored, waiting for him, and he says he couldn't have put it better himself.

Nicholas' "business" is Maggie; he shows up at the cottage. She's delighted to see him. He apologizes for barging in so late and secondly, for not getting back to her about the painting. She hadn't thought about that, she's been visiting Joe at the hospital a lot. He's completely recovered, she says, and will be released in a few days.
Blair feels he should offer an explanation--he took a house by the sea, owned by the Collinses, and rented it. He says he now has a place to hang the painting and would like her answer. Joe shows up and Maggie is ecstatic, hugging and kissing him enthusiastically. Joe looks displeased to see Nicholas as Maggie introduces them. Maggie explains Nick likes one of Sam's paintings, and she asks why Joe didn't call and let her know he was leaving the hospital. Joe says he wanted to surprise Maggie. You certainly did that, says Nicholas--I would have brought champagne along for such an occasion, had I known. Maggie runs to the kitchen to get some sherry. Nicholas comments how well Joe looks. Joe says he was told he had a hard head, and some good luck. Nicholas says Maggie is a rare find, and Joe agrees, then asks Nick what he does for a living. A consultant, says Nicholas, specializing in human relations. Joe comments that doesn't tell him much, and Nicholas agrees. Maggie returns with the sherry, and Nicholas proposes a toast to Joe: "May it bring you everything you deserve."
They sip; Joe gazes suspiciously at Nicholas, who purses his lips over his sherry glass while Maggie beams.

Jeff is on the phone talking to the sheriff when Vicki walks in. He looks pretty disheveled, saying he won't get any sleep until Vicki is found. He hangs up, rubs his face. Vicki greets an amazed Jeff, apologizing for keeping him waiting. He asks if she's all right, and kisses her hard, then says, "Thank God!" She wonders at his effusive reaction, and he says he feared she had been killed. He asks where she was. At the Old House, visiting Barnabas, she responds. She apologizes for staying longer than she intended, and he tells her he and the law have been searching for her TWO DAYS! She can't believe it, but he assures her it's true. She takes his hands and says if she'd been missing two days, wouldn't she have remembered it?
He points out that her engagement ring is gone, and she stares at her ringless hand. "It's gone," she agrees.

Back at the cottage, Maggie offers Nick another drink, but he says he'll leave them alone. He asks her to let him know about the painting, and Maggie sees him out with a brilliant smile. She tells Joe Nick is a nice man, and Joe comments that he just met him, but Maggie seems to have seen a lot of him. It's clear Joe is jealous, but Maggie says she and Nick have only discussed Sam's paintings. Joe wonders why she never mentioned Nicholas to him when she visited him in the hospital, and she says she never thought of it. Nicholas is nice and charming, but that's all, she assures him. Joe, comforted, grins and they kiss.

Nicholas returns home to a pissed off looking Angelique. She turns away, annoyed. He asks how she is, noting she's a trifle upset. You know what's the matter, she complains. "You want to get out, meet new friends," he guesses. Why not, she pouts, you get to go where you want, why not me? Nick says if she behaves, it can be arranged. How about tonight? she asks, but he says no. Because they may be having a visitor before the night is over, says Nick--a handsome young gentleman by the name of Joe Haskell. Ang knows him as Maggie's fiancee. Nick says he might be wrong, Joe might not show up tonight, and if so, she will have to seek him--either way, Joe is her next victim.
Ang looks intrigued--and hungry!

NOTES: I guess Nicholas doesn't feel he can win Maggie all by himself--he must eliminate the competition of siccing Angelique on him! That isn't nice, Nicholas, and certainly not sporting! Maggie and Joe have waited a long time for his recovery, and Ang is going to suck out all the nice blood the hospital probably gave him! You've got to admire the man's sense of power, however.

Took Vicki a long time to find her way out of that room; the spunky gal who first came to Collinwood surely would have gotten out sooner! Then again, David imprisoned her for quite a stretch! If Nicholas could manipulate her this way, why not Tom Jennings? Why did he feel he had to send Angelique after him to keep him silent about seeing the coffin?

Love, Robin

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 7/12/02 - #558/559 - Nicholas' Romantic Design
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 09:30:17 AM »
Poor maggie! - always being pursued by dangerous men - both mortal and immortal. :'( ;D

Nicolas is such a creep - I honestly can't see why she is so receptive to him.  Joe had reason to be pissed with the situation.  I just hope he doesn't get killed for this. :'(

I have a feeling it is bye bye joe very soon, but I have been wrong in my predictions before - since this is the first time i have seen these episodes.  I will miss seeing Joel Crothers on the show - quite the hottie he was :o

BTW - thanks so much for doing all these episode guides.  They are very helpful when i miss parts of episodes.  And i even check them out here when i have seen a complete episode because i love looking at the pics u capped.  You rock ;)

DVD

Re:Robservations 7/12/02 - #558/559 - Nicholas' Romantic Designs
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 08:58:08 PM »
DVD episodes for March 5th and 8th.

The 5th and 6th episodes on Set#9/Disc#3 (5th episode on MPI tape Volume #65 and 1st episode on MPI tape Volume #66)