Author Topic: Who has the best scream?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
Who has the best scream?
« on: July 11, 2002, 08:07:11 AM »
Who do you think screams the best on DS?
I think it's a toss up between Quentin (who can
sound alot like a teenage girl when he lets go)
and Julia's deep, rusty scream.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: Who has the best scream?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2002, 08:14:46 AM »
If you believe Quentin screams like a girl,  ::) you should listen to Carolyn scream, her screams can fade a portrait to a lighter shade of grey..... :o
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2002, 05:26:40 PM »
If you believe Quentin screams like a girl,  ::) you should listen to Carolyn scream, her screams can fade a portrait to a lighter shade of grey..... :o

That's true ;) She can really sound the alarm!

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2002, 05:39:07 PM »
I'd have to cast my vote for Carolyn as well.  One of my favorite "screams" though is when Liz is attacked by "the animal dressed like a man" and she turns her head and utters a rather muted eeek into her hands!

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2002, 06:18:04 PM »
I think Maggie has the best scream, it so loud! ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2002, 08:36:55 PM »
I don't think they're the "best," but my favorite screams HAVE to be Julia's.  Her screams are just so ... out there!

It's interesting that Grayson felt that Julia should scream when she first opened Barnabas' coffin and caught him napping.  The director persuaded her to settle for a sharp intake of breath (and we all know how well she could do THAT!) as the good Doctor was simply seeing the confirmation of her theory.  

I personally think Carolyn (or any other Nancy Barrett character) had the best screams in terms of volume and staying power.  Of the male characters, it seems as if Roger Davis screamed, yelled and hollered a lot.  I'll have to pay attention to Quentin's screams next time I watch one of his werewolf episodes.  I recall them being quite ... penetrating (and I will leave it at that)!

Bruno's wardrobe often screamed, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Gothick

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2002, 10:16:27 PM »
I think Maggie has the best scream, it so loud! ;)

Apparently director Lela Swift agreed. In her book "Scrapbook Memories" TLATKLS wrote that an actress was once hired just to do an off-camera scream (this would have been for an episode in the Phoenix storyline) but the screamer "infuriated" Lela. KLS was working that day and Lela asked HER to scream instead. KLS said she let out a real blood-curdling "roof-raiser" and that's the one that was recorded and often used for off-camera screams.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
i hope this dont show yRe: Who has the best scream?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2002, 10:42:18 PM »
my vote also goes to Carolyn.. And speaking of screams, they must have a tape with a generic female scream, heard it a lot during the dream curse and other times, even david getting attacked by the bat..well, think i heard it again, for tom jennings, when he was attacked by the vampire, but, what was hilarious, was they slowed the tape down, to make it sound a deeper slower scream... ;)
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2002, 10:58:39 PM »
Best female scream:  Carolyn.  She could raise the rooftops, and with such passion!  Remember her scream when old man Barnabas bit her!  I bet he was deafened!

Best male scream:  Barnabas.  He's da bomb of male screamers.  He's going to let loose with a good one (and for an excellent reason) quite soon.  I'll note it when it happens.

Love, Robin

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2002, 11:13:52 PM »
I don't know about being the best screamer in general, but Joan Bennett gave one of the best screams that I have ever heard.  When Naomi caught Barnabas nibbling at Millicent, she didn't sound as though she were screaming at the top of her lungs, but from somewhere deep inside.  I thought she sounded genuinely frightened.

ProfStokes

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2002, 01:39:42 AM »
It's hard to pick only one, because I like particular screams for different reasons.  

Julia's scream is so over-the-top and raspy, like a goat in hysterics.  Nervous breakdown city!  LOVE it!

Maggie certainly gives it her all, and she can look the most genuinely petrified of all the female screamers.  She's the one you really want to comfort when you see her screaming (well, Gerard and Ringo would want to comfort her, for sure  8)).

Naomi has the most "refined" and ladylike scream (if one exists).  I especially enjoyed how she screamed in her dream when she pulled the wooden arm off that department store mannequin she caught Jeremiah kissing  ;)

Barnabas is a competent screamer, but in 1795, how does he do it so convincingly with that bat-on-a-wire?  ;)

While we're on the topic of screams, I do have a question ... why was a pre-recorded scream by someone else substituted for an actor's scream from time to time?  In 1967, when Maggie dreamed she saw herself in a coffin, she shrieked, but I don't think it was her voice.  This same shriek was used for Vicki at some point during the dream curse, and perhaps for other female characters on other occasions.  What was the deal??

Ben

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2002, 02:42:40 AM »
I think Carolyn has the best scream. Her scream really could wake the dead..which is pretty possible in a place like Collinsport.  ;) She screams with a passion. Julia didn't always have the best screams, but I thought her screams were great in the episode right before 1795 where she's all alone in Collinwood. Those screams I think were some of the best of the entire series.

ClaudeNorth

Re: i hope this dont show yRe: Who has the best scream?
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2002, 02:49:00 AM »
well, think i heard it again, for tom jennings, when he was attacked by the vampire, but, what was hilarious, was they slowed the tape down, to make it sound a deeper slower scream... ;)

LOL!

I noticed that too!  I guess DC and Company would do anything to keep the production costs down...

As for my favorite scream, I would have to go with Grayson Hall.  Not only did GH have a great, raspy scream, but there was great entertainment value in watching Julia screaming and crying in such an undignified way.

And, did anyone else detect a touch of Pee-wee Herman in her screams upon discovering Adam in Dr. Lang's lab?

Regards,

John

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2002, 03:14:49 AM »
Bruno's wardrobe often screamed, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Gothick

Dom screams...

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2002, 11:49:02 AM »
I would have to say Nancy Barrett had the best scream out of the women. Who could forget that loud long & terrifying scream she let out while playing the character of Millicent Collins as she's being bitten by Barnabas up in the tower room.

As for the guys...  I think Willie's screams during the dream curse tops them all!
"Calamity Jane"