Author Topic: "The Part of Julia's Sister Will Be Played Today By..."  (Read 1039 times)

ClaudeNorth

"The Part of Julia's Sister Will Be Played Today By..."
« on: July 08, 2002, 08:35:20 AM »
"...Miss Carol Channing."

The other night, I was watching a "Password" rerun.  Carol Channing was one of the panelists.  She was on Broadway in "Hello, Dolly!" at the time, and I noticed that she bore a resemblance to Grayson Hall.

As I watched CC punctuate her clue-giving with grand gestures, I imagined her on DS, playing Julia Hoffman's flamboyant sister, Margo, the noted Broadway actress.  Naturally, there would be significant sibling rivalry between them, aggravated by Margo's interest in Barnabas and Julia's secret desire to be an actress.

Soon, the series would abandon its supernatural themes and become a showcase for GH and CC.  The Collins family would be reduced to supporting players as Julia and Margo laughed, cried, fought, and reconciled their way through each episode.  Lovelady Powell would return to the series as the third Hoffman sister, Portia, who recently divorced her husband, Lyle Fitzsimmons, and hoped to open a gallery in Collinsport.

Naturally, all these changes would result in a change in the DS viewing audience.  Teenagers would tune out and gay men would tune in. In order to appeal to the show's new following, DC and Company would bring back Conard Fowkes as a fireman, rewrite Don Briscoe's character as a cowboy, and introduce Brian Sturdivant as a friendly motorcycle cop.

Regards,

John (whose insomnia and unemployed status have given him far too much free time...)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: "The Part of Julia's Sister Will Be Played Today By..."
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2002, 06:01:08 PM »
John, This is a FABULOUS idea!  Of course, there would be ceaseless amorous intrigue amongst the male cast members you mention ... chasing ONE ANOTHER though, instead of the usual dippy ingenues!  Each of the Hoffman sisters would take turns offering romantic advice to the men.  One episode could revolve around the ruckus that ensues when Conrad Fowkes' character "borrows" one of Roger Collins' favorite ascots for a hot date with biker boy Brian S.  The brouhaha over "that ascot" would make the fracas over "that pen" seem like a veritable tempest in a teapot.

I do think the series would need a name change.  Perhaps Sequined Shadows?  Shimmery images of Carol, Grayson and Lovelady in beaded frocks hovering over the waves could be part of the title sequence.

Good luck with your job search, John!

Steve

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2002, 06:16:16 PM »
"By Michael Jackson."

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2002, 06:27:37 PM »
An intriguing idea. Why stop at Carol Channing though? They could have Joan Crawford as Elizabeth's sister-in-law who could be Nicholas Blair's nemesis. Maggie Evans and Joe Haskill could buy the Blue Whale and turn it into a hang out for college kids like the Crimson Lights on the Young and the Restless. The possibilities are endless.
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 06:38:57 PM »
Where were you guys in the 60's when TV daytime needed you?  ;D
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2002, 09:35:22 AM »
ROTFLMAO!! And I thought I had too much time on my hands! [nuts]

lol juuuuuust kidding!!!  ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2002, 10:50:30 PM »
"...Miss Carol Channing."

The other night, I was watching a "Password" rerun.  John (whose insomnia and unemployed status have given him far too much free time...)

Oh boy!  I have been trying to get inspired for a special guest substitue ever since the tour!  and that one is a goodie!!

I too LOVE the B&W overnite on GSN!  I tape it everynight!  did you see Joan B. on I've got a Secret the other nite - and the same night they had a REAL elizabeth collins on WML?  there are some bleedin' gems on those shows! didya see Soupy Sales - no blindfolds er nothin'!  a complete unknown!  and the Babes of the time!!! Bess Myerson :P :P :P, Polly Bergen :P, Phyllis Newman :P! [Ok Arlene Francis and Dorothy 'the facelift' Kilgalen were in there, too :-X]  I was like TEN at the time, and certainly found them 'inspirational' - 'course that was before Maggie!  and if ya think the people on this board are [nuts] a little crazy - have you checked out the board at GSN???  Looney Tunes!!

cheers,
Ringo the Unemployed Also

but I thought 'Password' was foul language here!?
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2002, 08:56:56 AM »
John, This is a FABULOUS idea!  Of course, there would be ceaseless amorous intrigue amongst the male cast members you mention ... chasing ONE ANOTHER though, instead of the usual dippy ingenues!  Each of the Hoffman sisters would take turns offering romantic advice to the men.  One episode could revolve around the ruckus that ensues when Conrad Fowkes' character "borrows" one of Roger Collins' favorite ascots for a hot date with biker boy Brian S.  The brouhaha over "that ascot" would make the fracas over "that pen" seem like a veritable tempest in a teapot.

I do think the series would need a name change.  Perhaps Sequined Shadows?  Shimmery images of Carol, Grayson and Lovelady in beaded frocks hovering over the waves could be part of the title sequence.

Good luck with your job search, John!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Love your idea for the name change, and the romantic intrigues.  Naturally, SS would include those sailors you mentioned in a previous post, and the returns of Joe Haskell, Tony Peterson, and Buzz Hackett.

And thanks for the good wishes!

John

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2002, 09:05:52 AM »

Oh boy!  I have been trying to get inspired for a special guest substitue ever since the tour!  and that one is a goodie!!

I too LOVE the B&W overnite on GSN!  I tape it everynight!  did you see Joan B. on Ive got a Secret the other nite - and the same night they had a REAL elizabeth collins on WML?  there are some bleedin' gems on those shows! didya see Soupy Sales - no blindfolds er nothin'!  a complete unknown!  and the Babes of the time!!! Bess Myerson :P :P :P, Polly Bergen :P, Phyllis Newman :P! [Ok Arlene Francis and Dorothy 'the facelift' Kilgalen were in there, too :-X]  I was like TEN at the time, and certainly found them 'inspirational' - 'course that was before Maggie!  and if ya think the people on this board are [nuts] a little crazy - have you checked out the board at GSN???  Looney Tunes!!

cheers,
Ringo the Unemployed Also

but I thought 'Password' was foul language here!?

Game Show Network is the absolute best.  My personal favorite is "Match Game," with all those incredible panelists:  Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, Patti Deutsch, Fannie Flagg, et al.

And "Black and White Overnight" is a real treat.  I did see the WML with Elizabeth Collins, as a matter of fact.  Also, I was pleased to see such mystery guests as Jill St. John and Ursula Andress (believe it or not, I have quite an appreciation for beautiful women, especially '60s starlets...)

I'm hoping they'll start rerunning WML again.  My uncle was on it, and I'd love to see the episode.

Regards,

John