Author Topic: Semi OT: "The Sixth Sense" on CHILLER  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Semi OT: "The Sixth Sense" on CHILLER
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Fans, a series that may of us "ancient blood" folk remember fondly from the early 1970s is "The Sixth Sense."  Gary Collins starred as Dr. Michael Rhodes, an ESP investigator and psychic.  Thanks to the kindness of a friend, I just learned that episodes of this series have been screening at least occasionally on the CHILLER network.

Dark Shadows connections include appearances by Dana Elcar (in the episode "Witch, Witch, Burning Bright"--sounds like a certain blonde sorceress known for her evocative cackle!), John Karlen, and Joel Fabiani--there are probably other DS connections if you dig around enough.

The series is moody and slow-paced, sometimes featuring psychedelic camera angles and dream sequences that seem very reminiscent of DS.  The episode I saw had the heroine being granted a vision of five widows in long black veils--at least one of the widows was wearing a miniskirt, which again seemed very DS!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Semi OT: "The Sixth Sense" on CHILLER
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
UPDATE:  my buddy informs me that Sixth Sense hasn't been on CHILLER in a few months now.  If it returns, however, be sure to check it out!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:18:01 AM »
I can't get Chiller anyway (David announced a while back that "The Sixth Sense" was airing on the channel), but there's an ep of the series that I'd really like to see again in which a psychic experiment results in a character going through a door into the past and accidentally bringing Jack the Ripper's spirit back with him.  Or something.  It was very reminiscent of Barnabas' time trip to 1897.  In my mind, the I-Ching also played a part, but I saw TSS so long ago that I could be mixing the two shows in my mind.

David

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for 6th Sense to return to Chiller~~they've all but abandoned classic programming in favor of the same awful movies airing on Sci Fi.
)-:

David 

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:11:05 AM »
The Chiller channel turned out to be part of my cable lineup that I have currently. The only thing worthwhile that I've found on it (this is since last fall) were a few "Twilight Zone" episodes, including some from a new "Twilight Zone" that I hadn't known about. Otherwise I think it's similar to the SciFi channel's programming.

I have dim memories of watching "The Sixth Sense." The only one I remember, though, and I'm pretty sure this was the program from what has been described here, was an episode with Joan Crawford that I would be interested in seeing again. There was also an interview with Ms. Crawford after the episode in which she talked about having had an extrasensory experience of some kind.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:34:10 AM »
The only one I remember, though, and I'm pretty sure this was the program from what has been described here, was an episode with Joan Crawford that I would be interested in seeing again. There was also an interview with Ms. Crawford after the episode in which she talked about having had an extrasensory experience of some kind.

Interesting.  In reading the description of that episode, it sounds a LOT like the Night Gallery episode, "Eyes" that Crawford did, and which was Spielberg's directorial debut.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 05:02:58 PM »
I recently got a Night Gallery disc from Netflix and this segment with Joan Crawford is on the first disc. Can't recall the name of the episode but I was very surprised to see that Steven Spielberg directed it.

Interesting episode, actually some of them were but it wasn't my cup of tea. That being said, it was fun to see some of the stars in the episodes, especially a very young Diane Keaton.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »
The Sixth Sense episode is "Dear Joan, we're going to scare you to death."  Although I saw it at least twice in the early 1970s, my memory of it is vague, but I do remember very well that the episode included a segment tacked onto the end where Miss Crawford and Gary Collins talk about her own personal experience of ESP.

The plot of this story sounds a lot like an Avengers episode where Steed and Mrs Peel go to a Xmas-themed house party and learn that Steed is under concerted psychic attack from a ring of vicious telepaths.

G.