Author Topic: Scarlet Street  (Read 811 times)

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
Scarlet Street
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »
I got a collection of 50 mystery movies from a recent library sale (for only $2!) and one of the features was Scarlet Street. This movie was directed by Fritz Lang and stars our Joan. Wow! This movie was SO good and her character was as different from Elizabeth Collins as you could get. This must have been during her heyday and I was impressed what a great actress she was. Her character wasn't really nice at all and Joan played it very well. I know a restored version of this movie was released and I would recommend a viewing. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Scarlet Street
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:39 AM »
It's great.   I didn't know it was her until she'd been onscreen a few minutes.   Very worldly, magnetic and sexy.    EG Robinson is unexpected as a painfully shy naive artist too.    Great ending.    [spoiler]"Jeepers, I love you!!"  (shudder)[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Online Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:13:36 AM »
She was an eye-opener in that film. It really increased my respect for her acting abilities, which sometimes did come through on DS, too.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:37:22 AM »
That was a great find, katrinavantassell.  If anyone had to choose ONE Joan Bennett movie to see, that would be the one I'd pick. 

It was great, very against character to what she'd been playing before -- and I second Magnus on EG Robinson!  We're not even going to THINK of spoiling the ending.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics