Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0789  (Read 2508 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0789
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:48:55 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0789
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »
VO: Clarice Blackburn

Humbert's hair looks rather different today as it is parted down the middle and slicked down! Hmm…
Does anyone know if there was an exit staircase (like in the Old House set) at the top of the Grand Staircase?  Haven't we seen actors come back down after going up in bloopers?

Was the plot with Judith being haunted  utilized[spoiler] to spirit Joan Bennett off to do another play?[/spoiler]

Love the marble looking clock at Evan's house as it is quite beautiful!
“But we can't always be on the side of the angels, cane we?” Great line and great delivery on Humbert's part!

I didn't have much to say on this episode.  I think I was tired when I watched it!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »
Taeylor, if you have a copy of either version of the DS Almanac, you an see the exit staircase in the set plans.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »
Is it in the contract, mad people at Collinwood have to use letter openers and knives?  Now Judith is back to herself, just in the nick of time for Hanley.

LOL Apparently Trask is as pigheaed as Barnabas.  He believes that the ghost will go away simply because it's inconvenient for her to be around.  I'd forgotten that the gaslighting started with a LEGIT haunting by Minerva.  AND that Evan was the one who figured out that Judith's terror of Minerva could be usd to their advantage -- especially since the will has already been changed in his favor. [greed]

Wonder why Edward actually thought Trask would agree to an annullment.  He thought before that Trask was a golddigger, and he hasn't done much since to change the opinion.  Interesting choice of words by Edward "she's not suited to marriage, that's why she never married".  That could be interpreted in a number of ways.  Being it's Edward though, I'm tempted to think that he doesn't think much of strong women with their own ideas.  Very period, when being strong competant and bright defined a woman as "unwomanly".

Creepy ceremony that Trask and Evan are planning. If the ghost of Minerva was strong enough to come back and do things to Judith, why isn't she strong enough to do something when they start their mischief in her name?

Goodie another HAA ceremony!  Between the writing and his delivery, they are always great. And the spook appears in the creepy lighting right on cue.

Edward is back to being DIM again, telling Trask that Judith accused him of involvement in Minerva's death. [huhg]

Minerva as a kind and tolerant woman -- boy does Trask ever have a sense of HUMOR.  GIVE ME YOUR HAT.   [repuke] And the gaslighting proceeds true to plan.

Jeannie

(Comments for Ep #790 moved to the correct topic)
(edited by admin)

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:26:44 AM »
The menacing Joan Bennett with letter opener in hand was fun to watch.  I liked how Evan made a point of calling him MR. Trask.   Were the knocks on the door  Minerva's ghost or Greggory?  It was sad to see the smile on Judith's face when she learns it it Greggory in light of his  marrying her for her money.  I see the credits haven't caught up with the writing as it still says Judith Collins.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
Pansity, I think your comments are for the next episode, #790. You're off by one episode. [6184]

Was the plot with Judith being haunted  utilized[spoiler] to spirit Joan Bennett off to do another play?[/spoiler]
I believe there was a clause in Joan Bennett's contract that allowed her to take an extended amount of time off every year.
[spoiler]This year, the reason for her leaving was this gaslighting storyline.[ghost_wink][/spoiler]

Major Milestones: [milestone]

1. Evan performed the "black Minerva ceremony" to conjure up a specter of Minerva that Evan and Trask could control.
2. Trask pretended that nobody was there when Judith saw "Minerva".  [ghost_tongue]
3. Someone knocked on Judith's door twice before "Dear Gregory" appeared. [shkdb] We don't know at this point if it was Minerva's last hurrah or whether Trask did it. I think it's more likely that Trask did it.

I loved it when the music stopped when Judith opened the door to find nobody there. Pretty suspenseful. [ghost_shocked] Minerva was one eerie spook! Pretty scary! [shkdg]

I hate Trask! Evan, too! It was a horrible thing to do to create Minerva's specter to scare Judith and then pretend that she wasn't there!!  [madan]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »
Pansity's post was moved and thank you so much for the heads up, EmeraldRose.  [thumbleft]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 10:51:40 AM »
You're welcome, Midnite. I'm glad I could help. [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »
This ep definitely could've benefited from further explanation.  Others mentioned the mysterious knocking on Judith's bedroom door.  And what became of Minerva's ghost once her conjured counterpart showed up?  Her return seemed to have purpose-- at times to warn Judith, and at other times to avenge her own murder-- but neither bit of business was finished.  Since she was concerned about Judith before, you'd think she would be full of pity for her now and would stick around if she could.

Interesting choice of words by Edward "she's not suited to marriage, that's why she never married".

Edward was such a stick in the mud!  I remember her saying that no one ever asked her because she always scared them away.  That seems as good a reason as any.

If the ghost of Minerva was strong enough to come back and do things to Judith, why isn't she strong enough to do something when they start their mischief in her name?

She was powerless against the Dark Arts in life, so was she really a match for it in death?

Even the spell to raise faux Minerva was noisy!  BTW, I think that thing's silence is incredibly creepy.

I see the credits haven't caught up with the writing as it still says Judith Collins.

They can't even get Edward's name right.

Was the hand responsible for Evan's new combover?  [winkb]

I was expecting the "stitch, stitch, stitch" quote, but I will try to be patient. [tngb]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
Pansity's post was moved and thank you so much for the heads up, EmeraldRose.  [thumbleft]

Thanks ER and Midnight for fixing my bloopers on these two episodes!!

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »
You're welcome, Jeannie! [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
I liked the photograph of Minerva.  It looked as lifeless as most photographs from that period are.

Taeylor, if you have a copy of either version of the DS Almanac, you an see the exit staircase in the set plans.
Oh, rats.  I was happily imagining the foyer staircase joined at the hip to the Old House staircase - although, come to think of it, that wouldn't work because the Old House staircase doesn't stay put.

I hate Trask! Evan, too! It was a horrible thing to do to create Minerva's specter to scare Judith and then pretend that she wasn't there!!
On this go-round of watching, I'm much more focused on hating Evan Hanley.  I can understand Trask's motives.  They're ugly, but they're the usual sordid human motives.  As for Evan, however, I don't know what started him off on his journey of evil.  We got one line about an extravagant wife, but I think he was bad long before he married.  I wonder if his wife was anything like Suki Forbes.

What a pity that Carl's ghost never haunted Collinwood!  Of course it's because John Karlen wasn't available, and if he were available then Carl wouldn't have been killed - but it would have been fun seeing Carl as a poltergeist type of ghost.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
Yes, Judith finding ghostly fake joke poop next to her dinner plate, then Bum Bum BUM!!! would have been great.  Oh I forgot, they don't eat.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 07:08:55 PM »
What Trask and Evan do to Judith is beyond despicable...it's downright monsterous. Poor Judith! [hall2_sad]

Trask has now gone from child abuser, to blackmailer, to wife killer, and finally to gaslighter! I hate him! [hall2_angry]

He makes the 1795 Trask look like Father Flanaghan.

I can't believe how Evan would stab Judith in the back like this. He has no loyalty to Trask. He has to do Trask's bidding because of Trask knowing Evan's interest in the black arts...but he almost seems to revel at the idea of driving Judith mad. Ugh!!!

I admire Magda's compassion for Judith despite Judith's mistreatment of her and Jenny in the past. Magda's telling off Trask was priceless...she should of spit him in the face though.

Quentin's face looks like it has been mauled by a dog, but there's still enough evidence that should have indicated he was Quentin. He dresses the same as Quentin, he sounds like Quentin. Well, great episode anyway.