Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0787  (Read 2133 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0787
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0787
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
VO: Grayson Hall

Now this episode is very familiar with the jailing of the wolf.

Magda's wig looks somewhat different.  Maybe the stylist finally gave it a good wash!  If so kudos, cause it sure needed one!

I see Evan has enough sense to guyline his good eye! LOL   ;) HEH

“The book you took from the Old House!”
“THE BOOK?”
Good ad lib on HAA part!  Famous blooper of course! 

You know 40 years later, I am somewhat disturb by Evan's face. With all the horror I have watched it wouldn't seem like it but it's very grotesque! 

This episode is very very intense!  It's almost palpable! Everyone is on their game. Good all around with production, acting, Fx’s etc!

I am kind of feeling a bit sorry for Barney.  What a pickle he has gotten himself into!  If only he would learn look doors and not send twits for dirt!
 [ghost_wacko]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 04:40:47 AM »
“THE BOOK?”
Good ad lib on HAA part!  Famous blooper of course!

LOL I have a friend who keeps doing that bit, along with the Nicolas hand gesture.

I am kind of feeling a bit sorry for Barney.  What a pickle he has gotten himself into!  If only he would learn look doors and not send twits for dirt!
 [ghost_wacko]

But then he wouldn't be Barney!  [evil6] [laughing_devil]

(edited by admin)

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:12:42 AM »
LOL I have a friend who keeps doing that bit, along with the Nicholas hand gesture.

Oh, I'd forgotten about Judith being all possessed by Minerva this way.  Guess that means every single Collins in 1897 was possessed by someone at some time.

Barnabas possessed himself!

I want to see your friend do the Humbert bit.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:09:03 AM »
Major Milestone: [milestone]

Barnabas hypnotized the deputy, but Edward came in before Quentin could be released.

Edward to Magda: "You know about Barnabas... There must be a connection... You must know about the werewolf, too." Edward, coincidentally, just so happened to be right this time. However, his statement was illogical. The vampire and werewolf were not necessarily connected. She could have known about one, and not the other. [ghost_rolleyes]

“THE BOOK?”
Good ad lib on HAA part!  Famous blooper of course!
I just love this blooper! Great save by Humbert and Grayson!  [rofl10]

It was great when Barnabas hypnotized the deputy. I loved it! Barnabas could have hypnotized Edward to make him understand his point of view and not be against him. I wonder... Why didn't he? [ghost_huh]

Evan's face was really scary looking!

As others have said, this was an excellent episode! Great acting by all - even Grayson's blooper! [clap2]

----- Sally -----

[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

(edited by admin)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 05:41:25 AM »
EmeraldRose, your comments seem to cover #788 also.  Quentin was in wolf form during the entire ep, so I'm adding spoiler warnings to your post just for the time being.

And Pansity, all your "comments" are for the next ep.  So those need to be moved to your post in #788, and that post as it is needs to be split with your episode comments moved to #789.  Which is again why I'm just spoilering them for today and will get it all straightened out later.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:07:14 AM »
Edward to Magda:  "You must know about this wolfman, or whatever he is."
Wolfman??!

And judging by Magda's reaction to hearing Edward say "lyncanthrope," it's apparently a word she hadn't heard before.

The vase with flowers that prettied up the Old House in the previous ep are now in Evan's living room.  So he stole both the hand and the flower arrangement?  [ghost_wink]

Wasn't it strange that the deputy didn't recognize Edward, especially considering how often the police have been dispatched to Collinwood lately?  Or that the same deputy would reach Edward by phone but ask to speak to Trask, even though the latter only just started living at the estate?  Who's the most influential family in Collinsport-- the Collinses or the Trasks?  [ghost_rolleyes]

I see Evan has enough sense to guyline his good eye! LOL   ;) HEH

LOL

You know 40 years later, I am somewhat disturb by Evan's face. With all the horror I have watched it wouldn't seem like it but it's very grotesque!

Same here.  I'd still rather not look at it.

Barney... If only he would learn look doors

Speaking of the locks, we see Magda using the slide lock this time to let Edward into the Old House.  I could swear that Willie installed that lock some time during the kidnapping story.  Does anyone remember this, or am I misremembering?

Edward to Magda: "You know about Barnabas... There must be a connection... You must know about the werewolf, too." Edward, coincidentally, just so happened to be right this time. However, his statement was illogical. The vampire and werewolf were not necessarily connected. She could have known about one, and not the other. [ghost_rolleyes]

I think he might not have jumped to that conclusion had Magda not seemed so obviously upset by news of the werewolf's capture.

It was great when Barnabas hypnotized the deputy. I loved it! Barnabas could have hypnotized Edward to make him understand his point of view and not be against him. I wonder... Why didn't he? [ghost_huh]

Because Edward was holding a big cross, forcing Barnabas to look away?

According to the credits, Edmonds played Roger Collins in the ep.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
EmeraldRose, your comments seem to cover #788 also.  Quentin was in wolf form during the entire ep,
Oops! [6184] Sorry about that! I'm usually more careful about my posts. Maybe Pansity's comments about the next episode got me confused. [ghost_rolleyes]

I think he might not have jumped to that conclusion had Magda not seemed so obviously upset by news of the werewolf's capture.
Good points, Midnite. [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:42:11 PM »
Just a personal note on this episode.  It originally aired on July 1, 1969, the day when my family moved from New Jersey to California (I was 10).  I guess I missed this one the first time around (unless they had an in-flight showing of it that I don't remember).  I'm glad I was able to catch up with it in the years since.

There seem to be an unusual number of plot holes and inconsistencies in this episode.  Why does it appear at the beginning as if Barnabas has just awakened from his daily "sleep" when all the events in the previous episode obviously happened at night when Quentn was under the effects of the moon?

And why does Barnabas suddenly seem to have powers over people before he actually bites them?  He is even able to make the policeman forget everything that happens to him in the time Barnabas is there.  How convenient it would have been for Barnabas to have had that ability in earlier situations, most notably the one involving his abduction of Maggie.  He wouldn't have had to rely on Julia's gaudy, magical amulet to erase her memory.

And, finally, why does he go out and confront Edmund instead of just disappearing?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
Speaking of the locks, we see Magda using the slide lock this time to let Edward into the Old House.  I could swear that Willie installed that lock some time during the kidnapping story.  Does anyone remember this, or am I misremembering?
This sounds vaguely familiar, but I daresay Barnabas, remembering the slide lock from 1967, could have ordered Magda to install one in 1897.

And, finally, why does he go out and confront Edmund instead of just disappearing?
I imagine that Barnabas had some hope that he could bring Edward to an understanding that he wasn't all bad.  After all, Edward had been to his house for dinner.  Surely that should have counted for something.  But Edward could not be swayed from his odd preconception that a vampire must be bad.

Quote from: EmeraldRose
Barnabas could have hypnotized Edward to make him understand his point of view and not be against him. I wonder... Why didn't he? [ghost_huh]
But Barnabas wasn't looking away all the time!  When he was behind the policeman, he was looking straight at Edward.  I tried to justify this in my mind by imagining that the cross's real target is the vampire's heart, but my mind wasn't buying it.

The ending of the episode was great, with Edward's face showing his shock at the off-camera transformation.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 01:37:59 AM »
But Edward could not be swayed from his odd preconception that a vampire must be bad.

Well, Ed had never seen DS, which was my first intro to the unevil vampire idea, and, you know, Carl...... Even I can't buy the not-evil vampire idea after that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:20 AM »
I can't believe I'm doing this, but I think I'm gonna have to defend Edward a little bit. If you're a vampire, and you strangled the brother of your cousin in cold blood, it's understandable that your cousin isn't gonna buy you're not really an evil vamp routine. I still want to smack Edward for his assumption that Barnabas chose to become what he was through a deal with the devil. When he's confronting Barnabas in this episode and in the one where he's [spoiler] trapped Barnabas in the cell in the Old House basement [/spoiler] Edward almost sounds like Trask when it comes to talking about the devil.

I guess it is wrong to continue to emphasize with Barnabas after he [spoiler] killed Carl, [/spoiler] but, I can't help it. He's still my fav, despite some of the boneheaded things he does.