Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0785  (Read 1718 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0785
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0785
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:56:05 AM »
VO: JB

YAY—My Quentinkins is back!  Behold--The Pretty!

Did Evan freak any of the original viewers out when they we're kids?   I think I would have been!   
The basement door seems to move up depending on what century we are in!  LOL

“And it will tear the curse from your body!”  Magda  I like the “heh’s” Selby places between his delivery of lines!  It adds character to Quentin!

“It must be good news.  Bad news everyone just blurts out!” Edward  HEH! LOL!  Louis sure gets some great lines in 1897!
OH!  Is Judith being being haunted!?  A knife through the Bible!  How cutting edge for a daytime show in the 60’s!

Did David run into the door.  IT looked as if he did and there was loud thump!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 03:59:02 AM »
LOL Taeylor.  If Quentin's the PRETTY does that make you the GOLLUM?  [naughty] [laughing7]  Here's an amusing bit of trivia for you, that I thought of when you called him Quentinkins.  Teddy Roosevelt had a son named Quentin, he called him Quinikins. Interesting coincidence is he was born in 1897.

Didn't catch DS running into the door, so can't confirm that for you.  I sometimes miss details because I write up the stuff as I watch, and I usually watch on the portable with a 7 in screen.

On to the comments:  Slightly different opening,with the buggy eyed Evan sitting up in the canopied chair, and Quentin knocking on the door.  At least we now know Evan survived the hand.  We all rag on Edward not recognizing Quentin later on, but Quentin’s no better in this scene, not recognizing Evan.   [90d1]

LMAO Quentin’s modesty is showing again.  “Everything that happens around here has to do with me.”  Oh, LOORD it’s hard to be humble….

Here’s a switch, some RED candles on the table, instead of the usual blue (which are also in the background).
Great scene with Magda and Quentin.  But then again, when aren’t their scenes good? 

Here comes a soliloquy  I remember, a very good character moment for Quentin:  “Before all this happened, Magic was a game to me – to be used for excitement on long winter evenings. Heh.  The Black Arts.  Know every world, not just the one around you. Oh that was my theory.  Oh how I wish I knew the world as everyone else knows it; the everyday world of living and dying.”  Explains a lot about how he got so involved with the occult:  a spoilt rich boy, bright, bored and insatiably curious,  caught up in the excitement of the forbidden with the promise of power at the end.  How very much in line with classic horror; playing with “things man was not meant to disturb”, only to find himself in oh so terribly over his head.  It also very much explains what we’ve seen in his reactions, one moment wanting the occult ceremonies to have results, yet being terrified when the supernatural becomes all too real.

Now he’s face to face with the hand, and a decision. Though he doesn’t know what it did to Evan, he knows from what Magda’s not telling that he could well end up going from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

Judith on the phone in the drawing room.  OOPSIE – Carl’s freshly dead and they have her in the PINK dress.  They remembered to do the mourning right for Grandmama, but they FORGOT here.  Come to think of it, no mourning band on the arm of Quentin’s or Edward’s jackets either. Hmm, anyone remember if they wore mourning when Quentin was in the coffin? This might not be the first oopsie on mourning clothes.

Snicker.  Nice little exchange with Edward and Quentin.  Edward asks a serious question, and Quentin turns the whole thing flippant. Seems he’s playing down to Edward’s worst opinion of him to try and prevent any suspicion – especially since Edward noticed enough to mention Quentin’s long face.  Irony is for once Q has been dealing with problems that DON’T involve “the dubious pleasures of the village.”

Oh, rare almost blooper from JB, tripping over a word then going ahead with the sentence.  Quentin, and expecially Edward, have NO idea of the bombshell she is milking before hitting them with.   Nice reaction of Q choking on his brandy then laughing.  Edward is soo in character here.  If he doesn’t believe it, he accuses a speaker of being mad.  Quentin, on the other hand, finds it all extremely amusing (and in a departure calls Grandmamamama  “Granny” as he goes on about the point of etiquette).

So very typical, Edward and Judith going at each other, with Q in the background thoroughly enjoying the show.    And another badly timed slap, this time Judith hitting Edward.  Much softer sound effect than the other slaps, but her hand was nowhere near his cheek when we heard it.

And now we get to it with the money.  Edward is quick, he realizes that if Trask has the money, there’s no guarantee Judith will live long enough for it to pass to Jamison.  That seems to have sobered Quentin up too, he’s now very serious as he watches the interchange.  He too, now offers Judith his opinion, with the exit line of  giving her a wedding present , informing her that “happiness doesn’t exist.”

More booga booga – the drawing room door closes, her will is in pieces on the floor, and a dagger is found in a particular Bible verse.  Ok, that thing with the drawing is downright weird.  It looks like a kid’s drawing, not a ghost’s warning.

Hey we have assorted candles in this episode.  There’s  GREEN ones in the candleholders on the mantle during the scene in the study. Nice bits of business in the scene itself.  You see Quentin is wound up like a rubber band, distracted and has to force his attention back to Edward’s plans about Judith’s marriage.  Snicker – what a wiseass line telling Edward he never thought of Judith’s charms. Edward thinks Hanley can find a legal loophole to annul the marriage.  Wonder if they tried something like that  when Quentin brought Jenny home (maybe that would explain the church wedding we puzzled about  earlier.  He might have been smart enough to anticipate trouble and make certain the family couldn’t undo it.).  He seems to have had some trouble getting the door open to storm out,  Wonder if that was  a set issue or a bit of character business.

News travels fast.  Wonder who told Magda about the marriage.  OH LMAO Magda hits home again.  “Oh Mr. Edward, you must be so happy to have a MAN in the family at last!”

Dusk at the Old House, Quentin finds the stranger, who can now talk.   He was freaked when he came in the door, now he finds out the hand did it to Evan, he’s  off the scale.  Again, no one has a backup plan, when they KNEW that if he arrived at dusk, the transformation would start soon after.  How hard would it have been to send Evan upstairs and take Q to the basement to lock him in if things went wrong.   Neat  incantation. Wonder if it was needed, where she got it, and  whether she just thought it up to make Quentin believe it was a real ceremony that would work.  After all, it didn’t take an incantation to get it to work the other two times.

And you must give Magda points for guts in staying with him mid transformation, hand or no hand.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:12:04 AM »
I don't want to horribly get this off top. However, I called him Quentkins because there is a character on Angel who calls Angel, Angelkins, Angelcakes, etc.  Yes...Quentin is MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:53:09 AM »
Evan is without a mind? Yet he follows directions.  I don't remember if we were frightened of Evan or just more grossed out.  The Collins siblings interaction is good as always, but they act as though Carl never existed. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
Yes...Quentin is MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! [ghost_wink]

What about Evankins?!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:56:46 AM »
What about Evankins?

Give me your Hat (so I can puke in it).  [ghost_wink] [laughing_devil] [diablo]

Good catch, alwaysdavid.  How does one process and follow instructions without a working brain.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]

1. At dusk, Magda placed the hand on Quentin's heart, when Quentin was already feeling the pain of transformation. [shkdg]
2. Judith told Quentin and Edward that she and Trask had gotten married.
3. First time Judith refers to Trask as "Dear Gregory". [ghost_tongue]
4. Evan spoke again for the first time after the Hand disfigured his face.

I cheered when Quentin appeared again, too, Taeylor! [cheer] I love to watch the Q-Man! [luv]

Quentin hit his head on the door when he left Edward in the study.  [6184]

I love the interaction between the Collins siblings when Judith informed Quentin and Edward that she and Trask had gotten married the day before. The reactions of Quentin and Edward were true to form: Quentin laughed, and Edward was appalled! [ghost_cheesy]

At first, Quentin did not recognize Evan. But then later, Evan told him his name and that he was afraid of the Hand. So Quentin figured it out. I don't blame Quentin for not wanting to use the hand at that point, and I also am not surprised that he changed his mind when the pain started. [ghost_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
Yay, we get evidence of Minerva's ghost.  I like that they never explain if what Judith saw the day before was really there or in her mind.  That's why I adore 1963's The Haunting.

I like Taeylor's comment that the knife through the Bible was cutting edge for the time and place.  So Minerva chose Isaiah ("The righteous perish; no man taketh it to heart, none considering that the righteous are taken away but the evil is still to come") and my mind immediately went to Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young"-- sung to the appropriately named Virginia.  Sorry, I digress.

Was that a drawing of Mrs. Trask #1?  It looks more like #2 to me.

I cannot come up with an explanation for Magda finding out about the marriage.  She's been babysitting Evan, and Quentin hasn't left Collinwood since Judith told him the news.  The day before, she had to retrieve the hand and have it at the cave near dusk, so I'm not sure there was time for the gossip to reach her even if she was in town.  And the Collins servants must know to avoid the Old House.  I'm thinking it's a plot hole.

Quentin couldn't remember what you're supposed to say to a bride, but Magda got it right, immediately offering her best wishes.  Edith must be so pleased that somebody paid attention to her etiquette lessons.

OTOH, since the moon doesn't always rise as soon as the sun sets, I suppose Quentin got it right that Barnabas could have been present for his transformation.  It's weird, but possible.  And Barn would literally have to fly to be there in time.

Did David run into the door.  IT looked as if he did and there was loud thump!

LOL  The only thing my daughter and I agreed on was that the door got stuck.  I thought he snapped his head back while using force to open it and she said he expected it to open sooner and ran into it.  So no meeting of the minds on it here.

Hmm, anyone remember if they wore mourning when Quentin was in the coffin?

From #722:

The Robservations are good for checking details, coupled with the ep guide of choice.

"Dear Gregory"-- now there's an oxymoron!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »
The basement door seems to move up depending on what century we are in!
I think it's playing tag with the staircase.

The Collins siblings interaction is good as always, but they act as though Carl never existed.
I've got to figure that Judith, Edward, and Quentin were almost - well, more than almost - glad that Carl wasn't around for Judith's surprise marriage, though I myself certainly missed him.  I daresay his reaction would have been all about nobody caring that he and Pansy hadn't made it to the altar because they were too proper to be married in such unseemly haste.  After all, Pansy was English.  At some point during the episodes with Carl's death, I was thinking, "Now he's going to become the saintly young brother who was too good to live," but I guess the surviving siblings can't quite stomach such an obvious re-write - aside from the fact that Quentin would never play along.  Carl tended to be a major annoyance, so it's easier just to forget he existed.

I cannot come up with an explanation for Magda finding out about the marriage.
She must have been checking her crystal ball.

Three's such a great number.  We've seen the Hand do one good thing (cure Charity, though given Charity's sanctimoniousness, that may not be such a good thing) and one bad thing (severely damage Evan, though given Evan's willingness to commit evil acts, that may not be such a bad thing), and now, on the third use of the Hand, it's anybody's guess which way the Hand will jump.