Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0784  (Read 1392 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0784
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0784
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:44:26 AM »
VO: GH

I looked up microscopes on Wikpedia because one is mentioned and I didn't know they were invented about 414 years ago in 1595. WOW!  I wondered if the writers had the  accurate information!! You gotta have respect for writers (who didn't have Wikipedia and the net at their finger tips) to get info. like this right!! Moving along…

Nice to hear Grandmama’s secret brought up again!

Trask is gross!  ICK!  I feel nasty just watching him!   Judith's loins are a quivering again!  I am not particularly fond of the dress Joan is wearing.  It isn't flattering at all, in my opinion, of course!  I am kind of bored with her and Gregory to be quite honest.   I guess it's the fact that Gregory Trask (out of them all) makes me sick to my stomach!

Again JF’s hair looks great!  I like his pointed sideburns very much!  “How mad the world's become!”  You think Barney?? 

I find the cave creepily cool.  It actually looks pretty good and authentic for, especially for 1969! 

Gregory is a quick moving arse, isn't it?

That is what Evan gets!  I wonder if they had to stop tape for this. Or previously filmed it and then inserted the shot of him all screwed up!?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 03:38:39 AM »
Back to the cave, Barney thinks he’s safe, then who should appear but Evan Hanley.  There’s serious amusement in a practitioner of the dark arts helping a phony priest kill a semi heroic good guy vampire.  [evil6]

Oh, now we get down to it.  Evan’s playing his own angle here --The hand from the Forest of Azden (sp?).  Interesting how he speaks of reading of this big dark secret in a thousand books.  Then how is it a secret? [hdscrt]

Trask is a piece of work.  In the middle of all that’s happening with vampires and Charity, he has time to play Judith and reel her in. One wonders why he picks this moment to  try and get her to marry him.  Anyone happen to remember how long it’s been since Minerva died?  Considering the strict rules on mourning, and waiting periods before remarriage, this is as scandalous as any scandal the Collins are trying to hide.  Judith admits she’s never gotten a proposal before, and that grandmother blamed it on her being too strong.

Yikes a marriage the same day – on top of it being a hasty marriage after his wife’s death.  So much for the Collins terror of scandal. He certainly is shoveling  large piles of manure to seal the deal. Anyone else getting flashbacks of Washington Square/The Heiress here?  

Good job on the backstory they gave Magda to tell about the hand.  Very creepy, supernatural.  The hand doing the will of Count Petofi, and thanks to the gypsies the only thing the hand can deny him is the ability to come to him.  Evan certainly thinks he has the upper  -- pardon the pun – hand here, ordering Barn around and telling him how he will become accustomed to it.  He’s in for a few surprises along the way.

Oh oh here we have the happy couple, just married.  Already Trask is planning to redo the furnishings. And in mid embrace what does Judith see but Minerva standing by the French windows. [spoiler]I’d forgotten the gaslighting started right away.[/spoiler]

And from there we have Evan and his trophy hand.  Apparently he’s not so powerful as he thought he’d be.  Now we have an unconscious, Magda thinks dead, Evan on the floor of the cave. LOL he’s got drowned Josette’s glass eye and looks like a mummy. (Sort of reminds me of Donovan (Julian Glover) in Last Crusade after he “chose poorly”.) Can you imagine offering that choice to Quentin:  keep the curse or lose your looks?  Decisions, decisions.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »
That's what I though about the eye too.  And the rest of his face looks like the kind of modeling clay we used to play with in school in the 60's
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
With a certain amount of good will on my part, Evan seems credible.  My imagination needs to help it along a bit, but when I do that, it's very creepy.   Someone's face melted, that's how I refer to it.

The later instance with someone else... no amount of imagination could help that one along.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]

1. Trask told Judith that Barnabas was a vampire, and she realized that that was Grandmama Edith's secret.
2. Trask proposed to Judith - and they were married the same day! Jeannie, at this point, it had been only two weeks since Minerva died. [smile_groan]
3. The first time that Judith saw Minerva's ghost - outside the window. [shkdb]
4. Evan looked at the Hand, and it disfigured his face! The first time the Hand did a bad thing.

I love the red light that shone on Evan when he was in the cave! [ghost_cheesy]

Barnabas once again said, "Oh, my God!" when he saw Evan's disfigured face.  [rofl10]

LOL he’s got drowned Josette’s glass eye and looks like a mummy.
I agree that Evan's face looked like a mummy. Good point about Josette's glass eye! [ghost_wink]

With a certain amount of good will on my part, Evan seems credible.  My imagination needs to help it along a bit, but when I do that, it's very creepy. Someone's face melted, that's how I refer to it.
Yes, I agree, when you use your imagination, Evan's face did look very creepy! [ghost_shocked] I think Evan's face looked like it had melted, too.

I wonder if they had to stop tape for this. Or previously filmed it and then inserted the shot of him all screwed up!?
I don't think they had to stop tape. I think that Evan lying on the floor was a dummy. I don't think it was HAA. He looked too fake to be real, and besides, how would they have been able to fix his makeup in such a short time?  [hdscrt]  But then again, I suppose they could have filmed that segment with Evan on the floor out of order and then inserted it in later. Does anybody know the correct answer?

--- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:05:51 AM »
Barnabas to Evan:  "I do not desire to be at your mercy."
Of course not, because then Barnabas would feel what his victims have always felt.

Gregory (supposedly quoting Leviticus):  "Do as your conscience guides and you will not offend."
I'm assuming that it refers to offending God, but considering that Gregory seems to have NO conscience, it's easy to see why he's oblivious to his own offensiveness.

I am not particularly fond of the dress Joan is wearing.  It isn't flattering at all, in my opinion, of course!

I'm thinking it's probably the world's ugliest wedding dress!

what does Judith see but Minerva standing by the French windows. [spoiler]I’d forgotten the gaslighting started right away.[/spoiler]

I think it hasn't.  Maybe Minerva's ghost is stirred up about the marriage, or Judith's guilt made her imagine the incident?  Hmm, I think the former sounds cooler.

I'm doubting that they could come up with a dummy that had HAA's features.  The mouth and good eye are just like his, and that left eyeball looks real.  I think that was HAA on the ground, but I have no idea when it was filmed.

And btw, I'm pretty sure KLS has said that a painted ping ball (I'm guessing it was cut in half) and putty were used for her dangling eye effect.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
I wondered during this episode: what does Barnabas actually feel when faced with a cross?  Is a big cross worse than a small cross or does the simple fact that it's a cross make any cross maximally effective?  When the cross is covered up, the vampire has no problem, so what is the effect of a cross slowly coming into sight through the Maine fog?  And when Barnabas turns his back to the cross, does he still feel the effects of the cross through his back?  I noticed that when the golden cross was on the coffin, Barnabas didn't have a problem with it, but he was never actually facing it, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Trask is a piece of work.  In the middle of all that’s happening with vampires and Charity, he has time to play Judith and reel her in. One wonders why he picks this moment to  try and get her to marry him.
Maybe he thought she would be easier to reel in when she was off-balance from all the recent dreadful happenings.  Of course, that just shows what a newcomer he is.  Dreadful things are always happening at Collinwood.

I watched this episode immediately after coming back from a very joyous occasion: the wedding of my widowed 73-year-old (but very youthful) cousin.  I had a very strange feeling as I watched Trask manoeuvring Judith into marrying him.  I couldn't help asking myself if we really knew my cousin's new husband as well as we thought we knew him...and reminding myself, "But they've been living together for two years!"  But I still felt weird.