Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0768  (Read 2069 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0768
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:05:26 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0768
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:54:23 AM »
So one of the events that leads to Quentin's death has taken place and he seems to be working hard on making another happen.  They really found a gem when they cast Terry Crawford.  It's a shame they didn't use her more often in the future storyline's.   
I wonder what happens to Laura when she doesn't get the children to go with her.  Is life in the land of Phoenix not so hot?  Apparently this Laura is more powerful than Laura Murdock Collins as when she disappeared Liz was released from her spell, but  Dirk is still enthrallled and going around as a lunatic to get her back. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:53:12 AM »
Apparently this Laura is more powerful than Laura Murdock Collins as when she disappeared Liz was released from her spell, but  Dirk is still enthrallled and going around as a lunatic to get her back. 

That's an interesting assessment, alwaysdavid.  I've always assumed that 1966 Laura was more powerful because she was able to do her own dirty work without calling upon Ra or any other dark force (maybe over successive incarnations and with repeated sacrifices, her powers strengthen and evolve?) I hadn't considered the duration of the different spells.

Maybe being turned into a vampire while he was under Laura's thrall has impaired Dirk's mind permanently?

ProfStokes

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:59:06 AM »
Interesting point, ProfStokes, about 1960s Laura being more powerful because she had no dependence on another supernatural force for her power.  As we've seen here, THIS Laura would have failed multiple times if she'd not had Ra's intercession. I saw that storyline a few months ago, for what was only the 2nd time.  I really liked it more than I remembered. That Laura didn't bug me (no scarab jokes intended) near so much as this one does.  The storyline held together well, and was a supernatural creature but not one we'd seen over and over.

I also like the idea that there might be multiple types of phoenix. Might explain some of these paradoxes that we keep hitting ourselves on the head trying to resolve.

On to the comments on the episode:

Opening is not a redo of the day before’s finale, but flows nicely from it.  Nice lead in to the fade out with Quentin’s line: Someone is planning to kill me and I think you know who it is.   [eek] [signerror]

Quentin is back to his cynical suspicious self.  Silver bullet means someone knows about him and that’s a short list of suspects.  Barnabas has suddenly offered his help just before the bullet is found, which rings all of Quentin’s alarm bells.

Nothing like blind terror to drive out common sense.  “I must find whoever was planning to use this – and kill him first.”  Managed to forget how well that strategy DIDN’T work last time, didn’t he?   [twak] [violent1]

His paranoia is starting to gallop – he’s even suspicious of Beth and demands to know where she’s been and what she’s been doing. SERVANT ALERT – Beth actually refers to another servant. Or ex servant as the case may be. Bout time someone referred to the invisible staff.  Of course we know it’s an excuse, and she’s probably been to Mrs. Fillmore, but she’s smart enough to stick to a story that sounds plausible.  Needless to say once again a private conversation is held in the middle of the vestibule, and  once again Judith comes out on the landing and hears all.  She’s not too shabby about picking up on things, and she freaks him out staring at him.   Apparently Quentin’s not the only one in the family with a big bump of curiosity.  She’s getting a bit close from what she says to Barnabas about knowing how Quentin behaves when he’s in some sort of trouble.

Judith and Jamison both admire Barnabas so.  And not so long ago Jamison hated his guts because he was against Uncle Quentin, and then because Barn was against his mother. It’s  Barney Sue, round two. [vampire] [vryevl]

No sooner does Barnabas leave than Dirk comes in through the French windows.  The bite marks are faded, and he’s been away three days.  (Hmm, that’s all it’s been since Laura incinerated?  Jamison sure bounced back fast.)  Dirk is definitely  a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Wonder if Laura did that all by herself or whether it was the combo effect.  FINALLY Judith stands up to someone who tries to tell her what to do and fires (ironic pun there) Dirk.  Can’t these guys figure out another way to menace people that ISN’T strangling?  It’s the first thing every one of  them goes for.

Dirk in the cottage talking to the fire.  The fire doesn’t talk back, but Quentin does.  Good thing Beth came in when she did, it looked like Quentin was losing, even as wussy as that fight looked. Just what he needed in the mood he was in.  The paranoia is now galloping fast enough to win the Kentucky Derby.  Now he’s managed to convince himself that Dirk is faking being mad, and Beth has been faking loving him all along – and is now trying to kill him.  Oops, seems it’s Beth’s story about Alice Austin’s mother that set him off.  He knew it was a lie, so it fed right into his feeling that Beth is playing him. Bad timing on the slap, you heard it first, and the actors didn’t get the choreography right.  Kind of a contradictory reaction he has after he hits her “now you’ve got another reason to want to kill me”.  Almost like he’s trying to drive her away, make her make his accusations true because he can’t believe in her loyalty or trust – or her belief in him.

Guess he never read Dracula – he has no clue about the marks on her neck. Can’t tell what he thinks, or whether he accepts the story.  All we see is that he doesn’t say anything to indicate he doesn’t believe her explanation. 

TC did a great job in the next scene.  Beth isn’t naturally mistrusting or deceitful, and the strain of  the whole tangle of lies on top of lies and keeping all the lies straight has her nearly hysterical. (Quentin's mistrust isn't helping either, I'm sure.) Unfortunately, she predicts exactly how it will turn out, with the web of lies collapsing and Barnabas’ hypnosis will do nothing to prevent that.

Now we have Beth playing watchdog, and Dirk barging in.  Silly Beth, letting Dirk get the gun.  Aren’t the vampire’s minions supposed to do anything to protect the vamp?  Wouldn’t that mean she’d have just blown Dirk away the minute he menaced Barn. And what about Dirk?  Best I remember he’s the only one Barn ever bit to have ever resisted his will and succeeded – even to the point of trying to destroy him. Nice cliffhanger with the shots and the slumped over Barn.  People must have been FREAKING when this showed the first time.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 03:30:02 AM »
what about Dirk?  Best I remember he’s the only one Barn ever bit to have ever resisted his will and succeeded – even to the point of trying to destroy him.

In the 1795 redo--
"Keep away from me!" cries Nathan, but Barnabas, fangs bared, attacks him as Nathan screams.
and then he has Nathan put in jail, so...
Find a wooden stake and hammer, orders Nathan, and go to the tower room during the day, where he sleeps in a coffin--you must take that stake and drive it through his heart. Millicent stares at him, horrified. She says she thinks she understands and again promises to try. Barnabas must be destroyed before it's too late, says Nathan.

Millicent (a vampire victim herself) passes it along--
Millicent tells Natalie Forbes wanted her to destroy Barnabas--by driving a stake through his heart.
which leads to...
Dawn - Natalie, accompanied by Nathan, enters the mausoleum. They carry a stake and mallet. He asks her if she's sure she knows what she's doing; she assures him she does. I had you released from prison to help me, says Natalie, but you can always go back there. He doesn't want that. Then do what must be done, she insists.

[wink2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:24:11 AM »
VO: Joan Bennett

I think JF looks really handsome in his period piece.  I haven’t always been on board with JF as a sex symbol, or even good looking.  However, he looks nice here! 

ROFLMAO!  “Stop staring at me life some kind of exhibit! “  Selby gets some great lines doesn’t he??  So ‘effin  funny!

Dirk has lost it!

Joan really seemed on her game in this episode.  Quentin wants a mirror, he should talk to Angelique!  What a bastard he is being here.  I for once do not like him as Beth really loves him and he smacked her!  The Old House stairs are back!

If my expletives need edited I understand.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:26:40 AM »
ROFLMAO!  “Stop staring at me life some kind of exhibit! “  Selby gets some great lines doesn’t he??  So ‘effin  funny!

That scene was great!  Loved that line -- Q was about ready to jump out of his skin, and he flipped out when she only LOOKED at him.  No wonder it tipped her off something was wrong, especially since it seems she paid enough attention to Q as a kid to know how he behaved when he was in trouble.

Joan really seemed on her game in this episode.  Quentin wants a mirror, he should talk to Angelique!  What a bastard he is being here.  I for once do not like him as Beth really loves him and he smacked her! 

Yes she was great -- of course it helped that she had great lines, and stuff with some character development to latch on to.

Q is being a right bastard for certain.  OK, here's hoping I manage to say this so it doesn't get taken the wrong way.  I certainly don't intend to condone physical abuse  -- or make excuses for Quentin-- just put in historical context.  He could have gotten away with doing far worse back then, and I'm sure he knew it. At least it was only one slap and open hand; he didn't use the opening to take out his anger on her by hitting her repeatedly. 

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. This was the first time we saw Quentin slap Beth.
2. Dirk reappeared, acting really crazy! Roger Davis sure can act crazy well! That look on his face was frightening, and his eyes were really creepy! [ghost_shocked]
3. Dirk was still under Laura's influence. This was the first time someone was still under the influence of a supernatural creature, even though that creature was "gone".
4. Quentin caught Beth in a lie, thought she wanted to kill him, and saw the bite marks on her neck.
5. Barnabas got Beth to guard him during the day, since Magda was gone. Where has Sandor been?
6. As Jeannie pointed out, Beth actually mentioned an unseen servant! Could this have been the first time this happened?
7. Laura's letter to Judith was blank. That actually makes sense, because Angelique said she destroyed it.

Maybe being turned into a vampire while he was under Laura's thrall has impaired Dirk's mind permanently
Barnabas didn't bite him hard enough to turn him into a vampire yet. [ghost_rolleyes]

No sooner does Barnabas leave than Dirk comes in through the French windows.  The bite marks are faded, and he's been away three days... Dirk is definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Wonder if Laura did that all by herself or whether it was the combo effect.
I think the combination of Laura's spell and Barbabas's bite caused Dirk to go mad, become obsessed with getting Laura to "return", and want to destroy Barnabas. [ideag]

JB's voiceover was wrong. She said that David told Barnabas the dream, but it was Jamison. The writers goofed. [signerror]

I loved Quentin's speech about "The Mirror of Truth". Interesting theory. A lot of misunderstandings could be avoided if there were such a mirror. Of course, Barnabas wouldn't show up in the mirror!  [batang]

Beth sure was wimpy with that gun. She should have shot Dirk right away! She wasn't a very good guard. [ashamed3]

As usual, an excellent episode, well acted! [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass][hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »
2. Dirk reappeared, acting really crazy! Roger Davis sure can act crazy well! That look on his face was frightening, and his eyes were really creepy!

That's what I say.  The next time I have to organize a children's party and need to hire a really, really crazy guy to entertain the young whippersnappers by being really, really crazy, I'm calling Roger Davis's agent.   I do know how to throw a party.

I wonder if the writer first came up with the cool scene, then realized he/she couldn't have a real note, then tweaked it into a blank one to save the scene.... I love that Dirk's pathetically involuntarily and pointlessly mooning pover Laura still!   That's inspired!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »
Apparently this Laura is more powerful than Laura Murdock Collins as when she disappeared Liz was released from her spell, but  Dirk is still enthrallled and going around as a lunatic to get her back.

Was Dirk under Laura's spell?  It was Ra who possessed him, and that's how Dirk was able to transfer some strength to her, and when she summoned him it was through Ra.  But once Laura departed, his connection to Ra was severed.  That's my take, anyway.  It seemed the power that Laura had over Dirk was that he was hopelessly in love with her.  When he did her bidding, it was because he wanted to please her, and when she didn't return for him as promised to take him to the better, more beautiful world he went mad.

I loved that too!!

A line that I thought was lovely was Barnabas' to Beth:  "There are winds blowing in all directions."

If my expletives need edited I understand.

The system handles editing.  If a word is going to be tagged by the system (its list is very short), it would show up edited in the post from the start.

This was the first time someone was still under the influence of a supernatural creature, even though that creature was "gone".

Well, there's the spell [spoiler]on Liz that outlived Cassandra.  It continued on even after Angelique's powers had been taken away.[/spoiler]

Where has Sandor been?

They've given little excuses to explain Sandor's absence.  Now he's in Boston with Magda, but you probably knew that.

As Jeannie pointed out, Beth actually mentioned an unseen servant! Could this have been the first time this happened?

Do stable boys count?

Laura's letter to Judith was blank. That actually makes sense, because Angelique said she destroyed it.

Except that Barn said it had been burned.

A lot of misunderstandings could be avoided if there were such a mirror. Of course, Barnabas wouldn't show up in the mirror!

LOL  And another good catch on the voiceover blooper, ER.

I think it's weird hearing Quentin's theme used as background music, meaning without the gramophone playing.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
Maybe being turned into a vampire while he was under Laura's thrall has impaired Dirk's mind permanently
Barnabas didn't bite him hard enough to turn him into a vampire yet. [ghost_rolleyes]

I'm picturing Dirk in a Monty Python sketch proclaiming he's not dead yet.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
LOL, Midnite!  [rofl10]

Well, there's the spell [spoiler]on Liz that outlived Cassandra.  It continued on even after Angelique's powers had been taken away.[/spoiler]
Oops! I forgot about that!  [6184]

Do stable boys count?
You got me again, Midnite! [ghost_wink]

Except that Barn said it had been burned.
Oh, yeah, that's right! Then I guess Dirk must have found an envelope and a blank piece of paper, thinking they were from Laura. Or maybe it was a continuity error by TPTB again. [ghost_rolleyes]

And another good catch on the voiceover blooper, ER.
Thanks, Midnite! [thumb]

I think it's weird hearing Quentin's theme used as background music, meaning without the gramophone playing.
I noticed that, too, and I agree.  [ghost_wacko]

----- Sally -----

[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »
Yes, I thought that using Quentin's music as background music was a blatantly bad choice by whoever it was who made that choice.

The letter that Dirk gave Judith was blank, but the envelope (or was the paper just folded up?  I can't remember) said "Judith" on it.  Whose handwriting was that?  Dirk's?  Laura's?  Dirk forging Laura's?  I like to imagine Dirk laughing as he forges Laura's handwriting and then suppressing the memory that he forged it.

Barnabas surely could guess where the silver bullet came from, since he knew there was a bullet missing from Magda's six, but my impression today was that he hadn't any idea.  And he gave Quentin another "I can't tell you answer" about something else.  For heaven's sake, he would be do better to tell Quentin, "I'm your guardian angel, come to guide your way to heaven."  As implausible as it might sound, at least it would be something.

Judith wasn't present for Laura's departure, but she tells Dirk that Laura is dead, so that is the story that's being spread around.  How did Edward and Barnabas explain Laura's death to Judith?  There was no body, and there was no sign of fire.

I agree with others: Roger Davis did a nice job playing crazy Dirk.  Who's a better lunatic, Dirk or Jenny?  I guess it depends on your mood.  Jenny's got depths for when you want to think, whereas Dirk is a popcorn crazy for when you need some mental relaxation.