Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0767  (Read 4913 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0767
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0767
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 06:52:54 AM »
VO: Nancy Barrett
Written by: Violet Welles
Directed by: Lela Swift

Great revelation scene!  Nice lighting on David and Jonathan in the Drawing Room.  It looks as if some form of editing has come into play around this time.  I would say they did the dream sequence first and added it in much like they did with the stock footage in the early days.  I like the fact that we are seeing the future.  That is one of the things I think the Revival improved upon~~showing 1790 and 1991 and not just "suspending time and space"! 

I really like how this dream sequence is written, good job Violet!  All together, "NO!"  Love the creepy green/red lights!! Trippy indeed!  I bet the boys and girls dropping acid that day were  having a blast!  [ghost_wink]

And so it begins..a silver bullet lost @ Collinwood!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:13:01 AM »
Barnabas is once again at a loss for answers.  He could have at least said he got the information from Magda which would make sense.  Why should Quentin or anyone trust one who is so evasive.  That being said I noticed that amoung the backstabbing Collins' Barnabas is becoming the trusted go to guy for everything.
I knew without even seeing the credits that Violet wrote this episode.  None of the present day characters seemed in character and it  added to the strange atmosphere.   I see they forgot to restage Josette to Barnabas in the dream.
I agree Taeylor that they should have run the story in the present and the past.  Seeing the present day family even in their weird Violet Welles state made me miss them.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:22:37 AM »
Thing is, until Stokes made that remark much later about [spoiler]1897 and 1969 running "parallel",[/spoiler] I think it was a crucial fact that Barnabas hoped to return to the same day or night in 1969 that he'd left, so that from the perspective of the 1969 characters, he almost hadn't been away at all.   I say this because David's condition was acute when Barnabas I Chinged to 1897.   They felt they had to act immediately to prevent his death, maybe in a few hours.   If time had been running "parallel", David would have been dead by episode #702 or so!   So, shifting back and forth between times would have been a problem.

I wonder if [spoiler]David's death dream that Jamison shared[/spoiler] might have happened for David just a day or two after Barnabas left, from David's perspective.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 04:22:41 PM »
I remember Stokes explaination of time travel from the first run so that had stuck in my mind  as the time travel theory for 1897.  obviously it wasn't was 1795 and Barnabas must figure he will go back on the same day he left as did Vickie.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 06:09:27 AM »
That would work, Barnabas only expected to return the same day and Stokes' later statement having been right all along, except for the fact that David did not die just a day or two into the 1897 storyline.   Maybe he unexpectedly hung on forever, but he was at death's door in episode 700.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »
That would work, Barnabas only expected to return the same day and Stokes' later statement having been right all along, except for the fact that David did not die just a day or two into the 1897 storyline.   Maybe he unexpectedly hung on forever, but he was at death's door in episode 700.

Not to mention that he never originally intended to time travel at all.  He only wanted to reach Quentin through the I Ching to find out what it was he wanted.

Alwaysdavid:  Isn't it amusing that Barnabas is universally trusted for no apparent reason.  And he thinks he SHOULD be trusted even when he gives whatever character no solid reason to rely on him?  It's Barnabas Sue!  Beloved and trusted by all, knows all the answers,all the women are in love with him. But can he fix a warp drive with a bobby pin?   [ghost_wink]

On to my nattering about the episode.

Nice continuation of the fencing between Barnabas and Quentin from the previous episode.  They didn’t make the mistake of having Quentin tamely trust Barnabas without trying to find out everything he can about him. It’s also made clear with Quentin’s  needling every step of the way that he ‘s forced to rely on Barnabas, but still doesn’t trust him.  Loved Quentin’s unknowing hit about the feeling about there being two Barnabas – one there watching them like something under a microscope, and the other off living his life somewhere else.

I’m uncomfortable with the fact that Jamison doesn’t jump straight to Quentin’s defense the way he usually does when Q is attacked. Matter of fact, he says nothing.  And given that previous scene, Jamison trusts Barnabas awfully easily. Creepy dream. I see the point that’s been made about the present day characters being “off”.

Is it me or did they change the Quentin’s ghost makeup?  Q seems more natural, more like living Q in this dream, not the stylized makeup I remember for the ghost.  Hmm, technically speaking isn’t this the first time the ghost spoke?  Some nice bits of business in the Q and David scene.  The part where David wonders if they’ll miss him – Quentin looks sad,  thinking, possibly of what happened when he died. And throughout the dream, he shows kindness and compassion for the boy.   We didn’t see this often with the ghost, he seemed more impassive, downright sociopathic at times.  Only time I remember more is when he was watching them disinter the baby’s grave.

Nifty effect with the lighting half of Q’s face green the other natural.  Now we find out the three things which have to happen for Q to die originally.  (or is it as originally?  Anyone’s guess what damage Barnabas has done to the timeline even up to this point.)

Now we have the three things to look for: the lost silver bullet, the death of someone who could help and the one person Quentin truly loved turning against him.  Of course we know what the chances are of these chances being mucked up too.  Any theories on where Jamison’s dream came from?  Who made sure he had the dream to pass on the clues?  Only realistic suspects I see are the ghosts (more likely Beth) and Angelique as the most likely suspect.  She’s there, knows what will happen, and apparently wants them to succeed for whatever reasons of her own.

Jamison might be more immature than David (probably a function of how upper class kids were raised and sheltered back then) but he’s picked right up on Barnabas knowing just what the dream involves and having answers to all the questions.

Poor Quentin, trapped the drawing room for yet another conversation about the creature and killing it – and having to cover and pretend and not let anyone catch on.   He holds it together pretty well, until they start talking about poor mangled bloody Dorcas, then he snaps.

Interesting that Barnabas chooses to explain Jamison’s dream to Judith in terms of modern psychology; that David Collins was created by Jamison to act out what’s troubling him.  I’m wondering whether  people in 1897 would have taken that seriously, given the bad reputation psychiatrists had at the time.

Oopsie – here’s thing number one as Edward finds the silver bullet that Magda lost.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »
As Jeannie mentioned, this was the first time that Quentin's ghost spoke out loud, and he looked less menacing and more natural. Also, he showed compassion towards David and seemed more "human". [milestone]

Another milestone: [milestone] Quentin the Ghost told David in the dream the three things that happened before he died:
1. Discovery of a silver bullet at Collinwood.
2. The one person who could have helped him and kept him alive was murdered.
3. The one person on this earth that he truly loved turned against him.

When Edward found the silver bullet outside on the path, Barnabas realized that this was the first event from the dream! [milestone]

I loved the dream! It was really "groovy". [color] It was strangely spooky. I also enjoyed seeing the 1969 characters again, even though they weren't "themselves" and appeared in a dream. I wondered where Nora and Maggie were. It was neat when Jamison went downstairs and saw the present-day Barnabas in his I-Ching trance. [ghost_cheesy] I think this dream might have been the most enlightening of all - with the three events being spoken. [milestone] I think that the dream was the longest one so far on DS - it lasted for more than half of the show! [milestone]

Excellent episode! Violet Welles strikes again! [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 07:39:26 AM »
I really like how this dream sequence is written, good job Violet!  All together, "NO!"

LOL  I guess EmeraldRose and I are the only ones so far who like the trippy dream.  There's a sadistic streak to its dialogue that makes it even more chilling-- a gutsy move when the subject matter is a child's death.  (Quentin to David: "Your short, little life.")  It seems it's not only the modern-day family that gets a dream personality makeover-- in one of Rachel's dreams, Judith is seen uncharacteristically laughing her head off.  I always wondered, btw, why the birthday party took place at the Old House instead of Collinwood.  And with all those blue candles lighting the mansion throughout the centuries, they put pink candles in a 12 year old boy's birthday cake? ... The horror!  I also thought Amy (not Nora ;)) should have been at the party too.

What I don't like about this dream is Nancy Barrett's high-pitched puppet voice.  Even my dog reacted when the puppet started singing "Happy Birthday."

I see they forgot to restage Josette to Barnabas in the dream.

I don't understand?!

Loved Quentin’s unknowing hit about the feeling about there being two Barnabas – one there watching them like something under a microscope, and the other off living his life somewhere else.

Me too.  Would that make it two Barnabi? :P

Hmm, technically speaking isn’t this the first time the ghost spoke?

I think it's the *only* time the ghost spoke.  And it didn't happen until David was dead, which I think shows that Quentin was able to communicate normally with the boy once they were on the same plane.  Of course, a ghost will later speak to a living person, which will blow this explanation all to hell.

Any theories on where Jamison’s dream came from?  Who made sure he had the dream to pass on the clues?  Only realistic suspects I see are the ghosts (more likely Beth) and Angelique as the most likely suspect.  She’s there, knows what will happen, and apparently wants them to succeed for whatever reasons of her own.

My guess is that Barnabas' astral presence in that century while his body remained in 1969 maintained a connection between the two periods.  I don't think Angelique sent the dream since [spoiler]she later shows up to press Barnabas to forget about his mission and return with her to his time.  If she was that concerned about his becoming trapped in the past, sending a dream about David's death would not have helped her cause.[/spoiler] Like I said, I'm just guessing.

Poor Quentin, trapped the drawing room for yet another conversation about the creature and killing it – and having to cover and pretend and not let anyone catch on.   He holds it together pretty well, until they start talking about poor mangled bloody Dorcas, then he snaps.

Why must he always take it out on the glassware?

Interesting that Barnabas chooses to explain Jamison’s dream to Judith in terms of modern psychology; that David Collins was created by Jamison to act out what’s troubling him.  I’m wondering whether  people in 1897 would have taken that seriously, given the bad reputation psychiatrists had at the time.

Also interesting, I think, is that in Europe at that same time, Freud was writing about dreams as the windows to our unconscious conflicts.

The dream lasted 10 minutes, btw-- not quite half the ep but darn close to it.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
I also thought Amy (not Nora ;)) should have been at the party too.
Oops! My bad! I meant to say Amy. [signerror]

I see they forgot to restage Josette to Barnabas in the dream.
I don't understand?!
I don't understand, either! [ghost_huh] Oh, I just thought of an explanation... Maybe alwaysdavid was talking about restaging the portrait in the Old House, where the dream took place. [ideag]

Quote from: Midnite
My guess is that Barnabas' astral presence in that century while his body remained in 1969 maintained a connection between the two periods.
I agree, Midnite. That sounds like a logical explanation. [ghost_wink]

The dream lasted 10 minutes, btw-- not quite half the ep but darn close to it.
Oops! It lasted a whole segment, which was quite long. I guess it seemed longer than it really was. Still pretty long, though.[ghost_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
 There's a sadistic streak to its dialogue that makes it even more chilling-- a gutsy move when the subject matter is a child's death.  (Quentin to David: "Your short, little life.")

I always wondered, btw, why the birthday party took place at the Old House instead of Collinwood.

I agree.  No kid gloves, I appreciate that.

It was just that the family was living in the Old House after having been driven out of Collinwood, that's all.   Now hit yourself on the forehead like you want a V8!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »
It was just that the family was living in the Old House after having been driven out of Collinwood, that's all.   Now hit yourself on the forehead like you want a V8!
AAAAAAAAAA  [6184]  (Thanks, I really deserved that!)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »
No charge!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:52:53 AM »
I meant to say Amy. [signerror]

Oh baby baby have you seen Amy tonight?  [wink2]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!