Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0766  (Read 3732 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0766
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 05:38:11 PM »
How did Quentin's suit get ripped up? When the Werewolf ran out of the house, his suit was in perfect shape, yet just a moment later, the suit was in shreds!

You're stealing my act!  I usually complain about that!

She goes to Boston for [spoiler]the Hand,[/spoiler] doesn't she?   I thought that must be the biggest history change.   So I'd think, no she didn't do that "originally".  But then, I miss things.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »
Maybe the explanation for the torn shirt conundrum was that they'd have to do a more extensive makeup treatment on any exposed parts of the werewolf's body.  But since the wardrobe department already had the torn shirt for the human Quentin, they thought they may as well use it often and make little Midnite happy.  And I still refuse to complain about it.

Yes, Magnus, that spoiler came about because of the Boston trip, and the idea for the trip came about because of Barn's demand.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »
Didn't Barney offer Magda jewels in his first episode in 1897 to help him and keep his secret??

Yes, he dangled a bit of the family jewels in front of her, heheh.

Magda said she only loaded the gun with 5 bullets, but I saw her put 6 bullets into that gun.

I'm remembering that she opened the barrel, inserted 2 bullets, then closed it without a bullet at the ready in her fingertips.  Later she opened it, inserted 3 more, and closed it.  JMO

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
I refuse to complain about any ripped shirt on David Selby at any point in time! :)  Bring it on!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 11:02:36 AM »
You're stealing my act!  I usually complain about that!
LOL, Magnus!  [rofl10]

I'm remembering that she opened the barrel, inserted 2 bullets, then closed it without a bullet at the ready in her fingertips.  Later she opened it, inserted 3 more, and closed it.  JMO
I rewatched in slow motion again. This time, I noticed that, when Judith heard her at the door, Magda took the gun out of camera range while holding the 3rd bullet. I guess she closed the gun without loading that bullet into it. When I watched it before, I must have assumed that she loaded the bullet she was holding into the gun while it was out of camera range. You've caught me again, Midnite! [6184] Now it makes more sense! [ghost_wink] Magda must have dropped that bullet somewhere along the way, where Edward found it.  [ghost_undecided]

Yes, Magnus, that spoiler came about because of the Boston trip, and the idea for the trip came about because of Barn's demand.
I know that Magda brought [spoiler]the hand[/spoiler] back with her, which didn't happen originally, and was due to Barnabas's demand. But isn't [spoiler]Julianka[/spoiler] "the one person who could have helped him and kept him alive who was murdered"? If it wasn't [spoiler]Julianka,[/spoiler] then who was it? [ghost_huh]

----- Sally -----

[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 03:43:03 PM »
No!   I think we've just discovered the first temporal continuity mistake in DS ever!

Seriously, I think many things like that can be chalked up to a phenomenon someone needs to make a really good term for, where the gradual, ongoing rewriting of history changes the way later events in 1897 "originally" happened.   For instance, [spoiler]Beth the ghost's story to Julia which cannot possibly be the original story.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
Seriously, I think many things like that can be chalked up to a phenomenon someone needs to make a really good term for, where the gradual, ongoing rewriting of history changes the way later events in 1897 "originally" happened.   For instance, [spoiler]Beth the ghost's story to Julia which cannot possibly be the original story.[/spoiler]

Closest thing I can think of is the subgenre of Science Fiction known as Alternate History.  An event happens that causes time travel for one or a group of people, and their actions gradually change the timeline.  Googling Connie Willis, Dr. Harry Turtledove and Eric Flint will get you a TON of information on how various authors have written in this framework.  

Then of course there's Classic Trek's "City on the Edge of Forever" where a random action by a character who accidentally time travels destroys an entire future because someone who was supposed to have died doesn't.

Like the various explanations of the ripped shirt -- esp. Midnite's.  [ghost_wink]  Course the real explanation is soaps and their gratuituously shirtless hunks.  I remember my best friend was hooked on a soap back in the early 80s -- and how we joked about there being a clause in the actors' contracts requiring one shirtless scene a week for no externally logical reason (we checked the frequency, kenneth.)  Put me in the schitzoid Gemini camp of trying to make plot sense of it, while having no objection whatsoever to enjoying the scenery. [ghost_cheesy]

I knew the wording on the curse sounded familiar.  <bops self on head>  As if we didn't hear that tape recording enough times for me to remember it was ripped off their explanation about Adam.

Thanks about my questioning Magda's logic on killing Quentin, and LOL on the Curses for Dummies.  Maybe we need a second copy for Angie and her "whoever loves you willl die".

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
I do realize now that they did this in Trek's CotEoF.   Too bad Barnabas couldn't be as inventive witrh the stone knives and bearskins.   

As for schizoidism, if that's a word, which I'm sure it can't be, I've done pretty well rationalizing the Seven of Nine silver suit and other such things.   I'm not sure these are the uses for which our brains were built, but at least I'm giving it a workout!

I dimly remember Shatner or Robert Conrad on Wild Wild West having that shirtless clause.   And I realize now that I've drifted sort of off-topic.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
It's strange how blood kinship matters.  I don't understand it, even though I feel it.  I don't know if it's genetic or cultural.  Magda learns that she has a nephew who is affected by the curse she put on Quentin, and that's it, the curse has got to go.  My first thought is, "Yeah, right" - and my second thought is, "I would feel the same way."

Instead of being freaked out by Dorcas's ghost, Quentin should be thanking his lucky stars that she didn't go to Trask.

I noted the open shirt, and thought about all the hearts that would be fluttering because of it, and thought: "I don't really get it."  But I'm happy for all of you.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:38 PM »
Instead of being freaked out by Dorcas's ghost, Quentin should be thanking his lucky stars that she didn't go to Trask.
Perhaps, she gained in death, the lack of perspective she had in life toward Trask and was thanking her lucky stars
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times