Author Topic: Question about Cousins! (1795/1790 spoilerish)  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Question about Cousins! (1795/1790 spoilerish)
« on: April 25, 2009, 04:33:59 AM »
I have been meaning to pose this question to my cousins for quite a while and just haven't gotten around to it.  This is for both 1795 and 1790!

In the original, Millicent and Daniel are referred to as Cousin Millicent and Cousin Daniel.  Are they actually cousins to Collins family??  I know there last name is Collins but I am simply confused.  I am sure it was common for cousins to marry in those days so perhaps they are just from another branch of the family?  I always wondered the same thing about Millicent in the Revival as well.

Another theory of mine is this.  As a child my Grandmother told me that a lot of times they referred "close friends" of the family as UNCLE and AUNT.  The other day she was talking about Uncle John and Aunt Thelma.  I inquired, "Uh Granny I haven't heard of this branch of the family?"  She proceeded to tell me that they would often refer to close family friends as Uncle and Aunt out of respect.  Perhaps this is just a southern tradition?  Anyhow, thanks for  your input!

T
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Question about Cousins! (1795/1790 spoilerish)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 06:44:15 AM »
The daughter of friends of mine refers to me as an uncle.

Millicent was someone who was arriving from elsewhere from some other part of the family to marry into the Collinsport Collinses I thought.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
I'm not really sure what the question is. Millicent and Daniel are both Collinses, and are refered to repeatedly as cousins. It seems unlikely they were just friends of the family who just happened to have the same last name.
It was very common in that era for cousins to marry.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:53:25 AM »
I'm guessing that they were distant cousins (do we know anything about Joshua's siblings, if any? I don't remember.)  Could be the children of a child or grandchild of the original Collins who came over here.

Magnus and Taeylor: I know both those traditions too. When I was little, cousins of my grandmother's were always to be referred to as Uncle and Aunt so and so. Its a matter of respect; kids were expected to show respect to their elders and NEVER to refer  to them by first name only.  Don't think it's just a southern thing Taeylor.  The manners down south are like the ones I was raised with up here.   Perhaps because my grandmother was waay older than I, or perhaps because she was English, who knows. My grandmother's generation was the one where people were friends 30-40 years and more and always called each other Mr. or Mrs. So and So.  I don't even think I knew the first names of any of my grandmother's friends -- and I probably thougth I'd be struck by lightning if even thought of calling an elder by their first name only.

I know there's a clip from a Fest, I think on the 30th Anniv. tape, that makes me grit my teeth because it's so far to the other extreme that it strikes me as rude.  It's a Q & A, little kid about 5 or so is asking a question,  when speaking to Selby he calls him by his first name.  Just seemed so disrespectful, given how young the child was,  and  struck me as odd given either the kid or the parent specified being from WV, where people tend to have the Southern/Midwestern politeness.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:28:08 AM »
(do we know anything about Joshua's siblings, if any? I don't remember.)

We know about his sister Abigail, a spinster, and his brother Jeremiah, who married twice but was childless.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »
Millicent & Daniel are probably the children/grandchildren of Joshua's father's brother.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:30 PM »
Sorry to the folks I confused.  I too figured that Daniel and Millicent were "TRUE" cousins, but just wanted to get everyone else opinion.  As stated, it was common for Cousins to marry in those days anyhow.  Thanks for input guys!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 02:34:55 AM »
(do we know anything about Joshua's siblings, if any? I don't remember.)

We know about his sister Abigail, a spinster, and his brother Jeremiah, who married twice but was childless.

WHOOPS, ME BAD.   [blshy] [blshg] [blshb]  I should have said aside from Jeremiah and Abigail. I really didn't get so brain fried this week that I forgot about them.  I was thinking in terms of someone who might have settled elsewhere.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics