Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0756  (Read 3276 times)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0756
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »
Milestones: Dirk found Barnabas's coffin, Laura figured out that Barnabas was a vampire, and she was going to stake him! [milestone] It certainly didn't take Laura very long to figure everything out. [ideag]  [ghost_nowink]

OK, where's Magda and Sandor when Laura and Dirk go sneaking into the Old House?  Isn't the whole idea that they're there to protect him?  Yet everyone from Jenny through Quentin and Beth, then Dirk are traipsing through the place, unchallenged, like it's a tourist attraction.
I wondered that, too, Pansity. Magda and Sandor weren't doing their jobs of protecting Barnabas very well. Where did they go all those times, anyway? [ghost_huh]

I liked the talk Barney had with Nora.  I always liked Barnabas relationship with Nora and Amy.  It seems as if Denise and Jonathan had a nice rapport, they certainly worked well together.
I enjoy those scenes, too, Taeylor. [ghost_wink]

Denise Nickerson does a really good hypnotized/entranced kid.
Yes, indeed! It was really creepy when Nora looked at the camera and said, "I like secrets." Also, when Nora had that entranced look on her face after Laura left. [ghost_shocked]

I saw Barnabas's eyes flutter just before Laura put the stake on his chest. [signerror]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 12:56:38 PM »
I don't believe that Barnabas was a dreamy boy with sad eyes, as Laura said he was.  I saw Barnabas before Josette ran away with Jeremiah.  He was an ordinary nice guy.

I'm always surprised when people decide to drive a stake through clothing instead of pulling back shirt, jacket, whatever.  That stake didn't look sharp enough to go through clothing.

So Barnabas gave Charity wine that tasted of apples at the Old House - possibly to revive her after he took a drink from her.  Wine tasting of apples sounds lovely.  Did Magda make it?  Still, if Charity was not used to alcohol, I'm surprised she liked it.  Whenever I've tried alcohol that people said was particularly good, all I taste is YUCK.  I assume that alcohol is an acquired taste, which Charity hasn't had the opportunity to acquire.  Never mind, the atmosphere of broadened and softened horizons was created.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
Now if Laura had said, "A boy who lived in the moment and didn't think of the consequences of his actions." I would believe that.  Glad to see you back always enjoy reading your comments.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »
I don't believe that Barnabas was a dreamy boy with sad eyes, as Laura said he was.  I saw Barnabas before Josette ran away with Jeremiah.  He was an ordinary nice guy.

But when we meet Barnabas, he's already a man.  We never see a 10 year old Barnabas, which is how old he was when Laura came into his world and caught his eye.  I could envision him as a dreamy-eyed, sad boy; he was, after all, an only child then with a cold father and a repressed aunt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Midnite, what you say makes perfect sense, but I still don't buy it.  I think an important point of the 1795 storyline was how an ordinary, cheerful, even rather dull young man became a bloodthirsty vampire.  Also, I don't think Josette would have been interested in a guy with hidden depths.

Still, I think that in later storylines the writers found it inconvenient for Barnabas to have been ordinary, cheerful, and dull once upon a time, so they made him dreamy and sad-eyed as a child.  But that has nothing to do with family issues.

On Dark Shadows, reality is like Silly Putty: you can mold it into any shape you want, and then change your mind and mold it into a completely different shape.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 07:32:26 PM »
I thought even Barnabas in 1795 had sad eyes, but that's me.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 07:47:37 AM »
I liked 1795 Barnabas, and mere straightforward niceness isn't interesting to me.   He seemed to be a very good man, but a rationalist, if that's a word, who could spot fools and hypocrites, and would confront them over it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »
alwaysdavid, somehow I missed your nice post before.  Thanks!  And your idea of young Barnabas is pretty close to mine.