Author Topic: Actors' reaction to different directors  (Read 3667 times)

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
Actors' reaction to different directors
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:36:34 PM »
I was recently watching a 1968 episode and noticed that Barnabas acts differently depending if Lela Swift is directing and when Sean Dhu Sullivan is directing. For instance, when Sullivan is directing an episode, Barnabas seems to rush through his lines, and acts like he never read the script, whereas when Swift is directing, Barnabas seems more relaxed and simply acts better.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this drastic change in acting with any other actors?
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Actors' reaction to different directors
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:06:21 PM »
Oooh, this is great.  I want to hear more of this, from people far more focused and observant than I.

I'd always noticed that JF was more invested and remembered better when in the past storylines.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:02:14 PM »
For certain, an excellect subject. If you look at the actors from days of old, certainly they had their favorite directors. Claude Rains and Bette Davis loved to work with Michael Curtiz, although he was known to be an ass.
I bet the actors on DS had their favorite directors that they preferred to work with.
Awesome subject!!!!
Kerz, you got any insight?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 03:39:29 AM »
I always preferred Grayson's performance's with one certain director.  I can't think of who it is at the moment though. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:18:31 AM »
I did but I took antibiotics for it.

Kerz, you got any insight?

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »
I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed how nervous and off-key Joan Bennett seems to act whenever Dan Curtis is directing? [easter_huh]
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
I always preferred Grayson's performance's with one certain director.  I can't think of who it is at the moment though. 

I too noted a difference in Grayson's protrayal depending upon the director and it was noted in the biography.  Lela Swift reportedly said "bigger, make it bigger" well Grayson surely responded.  Whereas Kaplan was known, the quote Nancy Barrett, to "sit on us" and coached them to be more subtle.  Grayson is generally less reactive when Kaplan is directing.   This is an interesting observation --when they went to make the films, Grayson reportedly advised the younger actors, who'd not been in films, to be still and quiet and not hyper-react.  But she didn't take that same advice to her TV work on DS consistently.
Julia99

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »
I'm not sure this is a reflection on the director of the show but merely an observation that Joan Bennett seemed to be a better actress in the earlier shows. I am watching the 'beginning' episodes and when Elizabeth Stoddard came on screen I was struck by the difference in her performance. I love JB but was wondering if maybe by the end of the show she'd had enough and just went through her lines without giving it that little extra.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
Could have a lot to do with the role she was playing. Early Liz was a meaty role. Liz had two huge secrets and was trying to normalize David and protect him from the Roger's indifference. She also had to contend with Burke on at least two fronts. She also had to deal with multiple problems (large and small) stemming  from Mathew Morgan, Bill Malloy, Carolyn, and Roger. And this was all pretty much at the same time. I would guess that Joan played Liz as a woman with all these problems nuanced in her performance as opposed to playing Liz as a woman whose only problem was the one she was dealing with in any particular scene. I don't think her last characters had as much to deal with all at once and perhaps it came across as a phoned-in performance in comparison. Could have had as much to do with the writing also, I would guess (as I am not that familiar with the last storylines).

On the other hand, as you've stated, it has been noted that much of the cast had grown tired of "the job" toward the series' end and were ready to "move on". So I guess if Joan had been in that camp, it may have manifested itself in her performance.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:19:38 PM »
I know from the festival actor panel discussions that there was not much love towards Henry Kaplan.  John Karlen said on stage he wanted to punch Kaplan in the mouth on many occasions.  He didn't, of course.

Re Frid - I think any lackluster performances were probably more about the fact he was tired than anything else.  At one point he stopped doing the many tv and radio interviews and publicity stunts he was going right after taping and on the weekends because he arrived back at the studio exhausted.  It doesn't help if you are not a quick line learner to also be tired when working on a script.  In addition to having the most lines on any DS show he was also the actor who spent the most time doing interviews and publicity stuff including weekends.  Not being an apologist here just stating the facts, ma'am.

Nancy

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »
without a doubt joan did much of her best work on the series during it's first year.
which is why i found one of the dvd interviews with sam hall to be so baffling when he stated that it was during his tenure that joan's "ill defined" characterization of elizabeth collins stoddard was given some direction.hardly.

i'm rewatching the 1966 episodes and i'm being reminded of why i fell in love with liz in the first place.it's such a great,meaty role.her and mitch ryan are so well matched and i love their rivalrous scenes together.same goes for her scenes with louis edmonds.liz can be such an ice queen!

i'm also reminded of how much screen time liz got in the early days.in later years sometimes weeks go by(sadly)without an appearance.

in general i think that joan's performances are better when she's given some good material to work with.when she's peripheral sometimes she just phones it in.for that reason i really enjoyed her work as naomi and judith during the time travel storylines.it's great stuff.as ridiculous as the leviathan plot was one of the reasons i liked it was that liz was given some good material.again,frosty!

during the final months i did notice that joan,but more notably jonathan and grayson,seemed exhausted.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »
My favorite work of Joan Bennett was during the 1897 timeline.  I really loved her work there.

I've often wondered how much of the chaos on the DS set contributed to the seeming "tense" work seen from the actors from time to time.  The set is, in effect, the actor's office.  If the office isn't running well or full of unhappy, tired people doesn't it eventually reflect on how well everyone works?

nancy

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »
true,

as fond as we all are for the show it's important to remember that for the actors involved it was,at the time at least,just a "job" even if they liked it(and some did not).

and how many times have we all gone into work tired,or cranky,or just not "into it" or even said "i hate my job". [easter_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »
YES...Henry Kaplan's episodes with Grayson are here best IMO!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:06:22 AM »
Well put, mscbyrk.  Perfectly put, actually, IMO. [easter_wink]

nancy

as fond as we all are for the show it's important to remember that for the actors involved it was,at the time at least,just a "job" even if they liked it(and some did not).