Author Topic: Happy 80th Birthday, Humbert Astredo!  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Elizabeth47

• View Profile
Happy 80th Birthday, Humbert Astredo!
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »
A very happy birthday to my favorite DS actor, Humbert Allen Astredo, who is 80 years old as of today!!    [occasion13]

Best Wishes to my favorite warlock   [firedevil]

Elizabeth

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Happy 80th Birthday, Humbert Astredo!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »
I hope it's a happy one, HAA!

What's he like in real life, anyway?  A dark sense of humor I find myself hoping.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Elizabeth47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:34:43 PM »
Very little has been said of Humbert, much to my dismay!  He only attended one Dark Shadows convention, and it's been said that he didn't care much for that type of gathering.  I've only met (online) one person who met him, but the meeting was a brief one, after a stage performance.  Yes, if anyone could tell us something about Humbert's "real" live self, lol, that would be wonderful!

Elizabeth 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:29:38 AM »
If you're interested in learning a little something about the man, you might want to check out what Linda has to say in some of her posts.  I don't think they ever met in person but they corresponded for a good deal of time.

Offline Elizabeth47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:42:20 AM »
Linda???  Sorry, I don't know who that is.  I don't hang around here very much.  How
would I bring up her posts?

Elizabeth

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 02:55:34 AM »
The easiest would probably be to make use of the Search feature--

Search / Advanced Search / Search for:  Humbert OR Astredo OR "HAA" / by user:  Linda

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 06:24:02 AM »
My friends Kathleen Reynolds and Mary Overstreet met HAA a few times and became friendly.  Kathleen told me that HAA was the type of actor who disliked curtain calls and that kind of attention.  Others who have met him said he enjoyed his boat, lived on it for a time, and eventually retired to Connecticut.  He was gracious to fans who asked for autographs.  He was married at least once and had a daughter.  I believe she died last year of cancer and due to his poor health was unable to attend the funeral in California.  The impression I had from other actors was that HAA didn't care for interviews and the whole celebrity trapping.  He wanted to do his work and go home.  I do know he had a dog he took with him everywhere even on the road while touring with plays.  He did a lot of theater in New York and on tours.

Nancy

Offline Elizabeth47

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »
Humbert sounds like a very interesting man.  I'd love to ask him what it was like living on his boat.  This is something I've always wanted to do.  Would love to know how that went for him.  I've heard that it was difficult, because of the dogs (dogs and boats don't mix very well!) 

I located a few notes from Linda on this site regarding Humbert, and found them very entertaining. 

Yes, it's very difficult if you want to be an actor, but don't necessarily want the celebrity status.  Unfortunately, the two go hand in hand, and I don't see a way to get out of that.  It's a shame though, for people who just enjoy the job, and really want to do it.

Elizabeth

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »
Most actors in the business will  never become a household name, even briefly, so when you enter the profession, it's more likely you will not have to deal with celebrity in any big way.  If and when that comes, it has to be difficult to deal with if you are an actor who prefers privacy and quiet off the stage, screen, etc.  Actors who focus on a stage career, as HAA seemed to, won't have to deal with celebrity since plays are generally not recorded for mass media viewing.

nancy

David

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
I saw HAA on the Broadway stage in 1981 when he played Liz
Taylor's attorney in The Little Foxes.
VERY powerful actor~~Nick Blair was no fluke!

He lives in CT near Long Island Sound. A friend of mine lives up the street from him. Though I never met him, I did write
him a letter, and got a gracious, lovely reply.

A true gentleman, he is.

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »
Happy Birthday to Humbert Allen Astredo, a true gentleman and an artist I  have admired since the day back in '68 when I turned on my favorite new show, Dark Shadows, and found a mysterious individual named Nicholas Blair who claimed to be Cassandra's brother at the door of the Great House.  I find the nuances of Humbert's performances on DS to be endlessly fascinating, textured, and authentic.  It's mindblowing to see  how much care and artistry he put into something that was meant to be "simply for the moment."  But then, the same could be said for several other artists who worked on our beloved show.

I don't recall Linda's posts here, but perhaps she is the fan who drew our attention to the recent posts on Humbert's page on the IMDB which provided some recent news about him, including the hearbreaking story about his daughter's death.

G.

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »
Happy Birthday to the greatest actor on Dark Shadows, Mr Humbert Allen Astredo!!!!!

What a wonderful actor he was!!!!!

His number 1 fan
Evan Hanley