Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0746  (Read 1582 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0746
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: Discuss - Ep #0746
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:28 AM »
Narrow escape there for Barnabas -- after all who would believe anything Jenny said about what she sees?

Great scene with Magda and Quentin. Typical that he snuck back to try and do his dirty work, undetected by Beth.  And its Quentin the little boy, just as Magda said, running back to Judith for help.  Though one does have to give him points for one thing:  the fact that he was married to a gypsy didn't freak him out, like it does the rest of the family.

Irony strikes again -- if Barn had done what Magda asked, that would have prevented the whole mess.  Just like with the stabbing of Quentin, his interference is causing the very thing he wants to prevent.

And of course, the teaser is Jenny telling THE SECRET  [easter_smiley]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »
Loved Magda's pronouncement at Judith's arrival:  "Her majesty herself."

As cruel as Jenny's imprisonment in dismal rooms seemed to be, at least Judith saw to it that Beth checked on her a few times a day, brought her fresh food, and kept her clean.  Although Judith's biggest concern in institutionalizing Jenny at this point is the scandal it'll create, she admits here to taking pity on her, and considering the sad state of asylums at that time, it's looking like Edward's and Judith's first choice was the compassionate one.  And it was good to see Judith assume some familial responsibility when she acknowledged (sort of) that her brother contributed to the problem.

And just when I think Her Majesty is showing some humanity, she says to Magda, "Considering that she is your sister, I'm inclined to think there is already madness in her background."  Hee.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »
Voiceover: Grayson Hall
GH  voiceover! YAY!   Marie's scream had me cracking up.  Jenny isn't quite as dark as Magda, maybe she had a different Dad or Mom?  Marie is simply amazing and you can tell she is relishing every moment.  Grayson looks really good today.  At times I find Magda simply beautiful which I guess many people possibly may not get!??!!  I just think Gray has a really interesting face and when she is painted right it's really quite lovely!  Hey QUENTIN, you're looking as HOT as ever!!  Poor Magda is constantly threatened and manhandled.  Q's lips are so luscious......sorry back on point.  My tapes or so horrid, I think I will order 8, 9 and 14 next go around so I can enjoy these episodes in their fullest potential during the WP!!   I need to see how far 14 goes, maybe I need to get 15 instead.  I love the Old House colors.  Quentin is being a total ass.  JB got an easy paycheck today.  I was really glad though that JB was utilized in 1897 with a plum role.  I like Judith a lot!  1897 is such a thrilling period with a wonderful cliffhanger almost daily!   [ghost_wink]
B-
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
It's a good thing it was Jenny who found Barnabas in his coffin. He was lucky that nobody would believe her because she was crazy. [whew]

I agree, Taeylor, Magda looked really great in this episode. GH was a very attractive woman, but I think she looked better as Magda than as Julia. I think it's all the dark makeup, and that black wig. [ghost_wink]

I was amused by Quentin's line to Magda: "Jenny should have told me, you know?  It would have made her much more interesting." [ghost_cheesy] I think if Quentin had known Jenny was a gypsy, he would found her more attractive. Too bad he was kept in the dark. [ghost_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:28:32 AM »
I think if Quentin had known Jenny was a gypsy, he would found her more attractive. Too bad he was kept in the dark. [ghost_rolleyes]

Yes the impression I get is that he married Jenny because she was interesting in that she was not like the respectable women the family had probably tried to get him to settle down with. (Stereotypical Victorian ladies with no opinions of their own is my guess; far enough down the heiress  food chain that a younger son who cleans up well would be an acceptable husband for her family to buy for her.) But Jenny, so desperate for approval and so afraid that someone would find out she was a gypsy was probably trying so hard to be what the family wanted in a Collins wife that she changed a lot from the girl Quentin thought he married. 

Which brings to mind the obvious question of what, besides a drunken impulse might have been Quentin's motivation to marry her -- and do so in a church.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
Maybe Quentin was drunk and didn't know what he was doing! [drunk22]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »
What a performance by Grayson Hall!  When Magda threw that vase at Quentin, I wanted to be throwing it too.  And I wish it had hit him.

When Magda was comforting Jenny, I was thinking about what it must be like for Magda to be having to deal with her sister as a madwoman.  This wasn't the Jenny that Magda remembered!  But I've learned a bit lately about how protective you can feel when someone you love is no longer able to deal with the world.

It was a striking moment when we heard about the different reactions of the two sisters to having people cross the street to get away from them: Jenny felt shame, but Magda felt power.

I finally figured out a few episodes back what Barnabas should have done when he arrived in 1897: he should have gotten his coffin moved to the Old House basement and stayed there, letting Sandor and Magda give him daily updates as to what was going on.  And Sandor could have led a cow down the basement steps to him every few days.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:44:43 AM »
This wasn't the Jenny that Magda remembered!  But I've learned a bit lately about how protective you can feel when someone you love is no longer able to deal with the world.

HUGS Lydia.  I remember just how that felt!  [sad5]

It was a striking moment when we heard about the different reactions of the two sisters to having people cross the street to get away from them: Jenny felt shame, but Magda felt power.

Thats an excellent analysis of the difference between the sisters.  Jenny needed to be liked and was hurt when people didn't like her.  Magda was her own person who didn't care what the world thought of her.   I'd qualify that by saying except for Sandor.  Magda took the world's prejudice and abuse and used it to make herself stronger, because she had the inner strength to know she was a worthwhile person.  Jenny didn't have that inner strength so cruelty and neglect affected her, and she took it as a lack in herself, rather than something lacking in the people who were treating her that way.

I finally figured out a few episodes back what Barnabas should have done when he arrived in 1897: he should have gotten his coffin moved to the Old House basement and stayed there, letting Sandor and Magda give him daily updates as to what was going on.  And Sandor could have led a cow down the basement steps to him every few days.

I LOVE IT. All together now:  LYDIA IS SMARTER THAN BARNABAS!  [salute] LOL a friend of mine at work teaches anger management classes and parenting classes.  I wonder what his curriculum would be for a Barnabas based Interference management class.

Jeannie

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 07:07:17 AM »
Is Lydia really back, or am I hallucinating?  Is it merely her astral self?  Anyway, I hope it's a lingering presence...

Magda's life-perspective is a big part of wehat's great about 1897.

Barn in basement:   A guy who spent over a century in a coffin won't say no to a chance to stretch his legs.  Also, another era, a dozen new opportunities for variations on Josette, be they reincarnations, look-alikes, doppelgangers, clones, or cunning female impersonators.    Rampant Josette totty waits for no man.   Gotta get out there while the Josette-gettin's good.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor