Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0745  (Read 1391 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0745
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0745
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:29:13 AM »
Grayson voiceover! YAY!  She always (to me) was one of the best to do voiceovers.  However, I am pretty biased when it comes to Grayson!! :)  Very cool effect with Quentin standing in front of the Old House still (blue screen or cromakey I guess achieved this.  It's outdated but cool for that time.  Why hello  Quentin....have I told you lately that I love you?? 

The hall to Josette's room looks very nicely decorated!  I love the bust in particular on the table.  The staircase is looking a bit rough.  Coat of paint anyone?  Terry Crawford is really quite beautiful with her flawless fair skin!  Again, I love the color palette in the Old House, it really appeals to the eyes. 

Does Magda own any other outfit?  I bet that outfit had to be washed frequently unless Gray was method acting and playing a stinky gypsy!!  LOL  "This is a signnnnnnn" Magda GH relishes this role, one can tell even without Grayson's admittance that it was her favorite! GH almost lost her wig when she passed out!  I wonder if they had wig glue in those days.  I know it comes in very handy for drag queens!  MW barely makes it to the staircase and Old House set to convincingly look as if she just came down the steps! 

Good Episode overall....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »
YAY and Beth to the rescue.  This is one of her best episodes, before they stole her backbone.  [easter_grin]. She will not let him do this, and actually tries to grab the gun to stop him.  Of course, true to period she's going to get another man (Barnabas) to stop him if he won't stop by himself.  Which brings me to a line that sounded odd.  Barnabas, as the audience knows) is asleep in his coffin, it looks like daylight outside. But Beth tells Quentin "Do you want me to wake Barnabas?"  What's up with THAT?  Though Quentin's reaction  -- an annoyed grunt -- as they go back down the stairs, is amusing.

Poor Jenny and her line "Wasn't I pretty enough".  (and she does realize afterward that he never saw her).  So typically period that she didn't have to be insane to wonder it.  Looks and appearances were everything, especially for women.  He wanted her because she was pretty -- did he even know or care about anything else about her.

Great scene with Quentin and Beth.  He tries to convince her it's all for her (and maybe even believes it himself on some level).  Interesting that that's the first time he's mentioning marriage. It's hinted at broadly in the earlier scene where they discuss how impossible things are, and whether or not he can get an annullment, but never said outright. Is this something he came up with on the spur of the moment?

I really like the way Terry Crawford plays the scene.  She's angry, horrified, sad, repulsed, she's on the edge of tears but she's still able to argue with him.  Very nice touch the way she plays it when he puts his hand on her shoulder, and she not only pulls away, but pulls the sleeve away, like she can't even bear for him to touch something she's wearing, much less touch her.  He's also playing it very Victorian -- I'll handle this, be the little woman and go back to the house and you don't need to know anything.

They did Beth SUCH a disservice later in the storyline, turning her into a constantly crying helpless prop.  Here he tries to manipulate her by sayign if she acts like this he doesn't think he wants to marry her.  She draws a line in the sand.  "Well it IS the way!" and goes right on the attack with logic and facts, making him think about how he would manage to get away with it.  Is this a side of him that she's just now seeing (doubtful, since she's been seeing his behaviour over a long period of time).  Or, having seen that there's more to him than his bad behavior, is she furious that he's now living down to his worst instincts.  Maybe that's part of why she takes the pretty big chance of telling him if he kills Jenny he has to kill her too.  If she hadn't reached his better instincts, I think she knows full well he could find a way to make it seem Jenny killed her, then he killed Jenny. Whether he WOULD is the only question. And it occurs to me that something we find out later would have been perfect ammunition for her to hurl at him. Whether or not she reached him with the locket with his picture in it, if she said somethng like  [spoiler]"are you willing to kill the mother of your children" THAT would have stopped him in his tracks.[/spoiler]

For his part,  he must know she's NOT bluffing.  We've seen enough scenes of them together to know that when she stands her ground, or gives her word, he's seen she means it.  I don't think he considered the possibility that he might have to kill an innocent person to kill Jenny -- and that it would be someone he cared about.

Of course, it's also possible she scared the living daylights out of him by reminding him about hanging.  It might even be a particular horror of his.  I could well see Edward taking the kids Carl and Quentin to a public hanging to show them JUST how they would end up if they didn't behave. And a bit of trivia from Wild West Tech is that if the weight was overestimated, the death would be neither quick, neat nor painless.

Clumsy of Beth with the locket on the table, though.  Guess we can put that down to reaction from the earlier scene.

Beautfully played scene with Magda and Jenny.  Poor Magda.  Like everyone else, she doesn't know what to do, how to handle it. Poor Jenny, desperate to not be trapped into being a gypsy again. And how the HECK did she find the keys to go into the basement and find Barney's coffin?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »
Taeylor, your comments made me giggle!

Pansity hit the nail on the head about Beth's reaction to Quentin's bullcrap.  With women on reality TV shows often seen putting up with pretty much anything to get a wedding ring, Beth's unwillingness to be manipulated is quite refreshing to watch.

Magda's scenes involving Jenny, OTOH, are so heartbreaking.

I wonder how Sandor keeps his weight up when all he eats for breakfast is consomme.  Especially when most of it will end up in his moustache anyway.

I get that Magda's superstitious fears caused her to mistake Jenny's mental illness for demonic possession, but what was the big cross she sent Sandor to get supposed to accomplish?  Did Magda really plan to perform an impromptu exorcism?

And how the HECK did she find the keys to go into the basement and find Barney's coffin?

The door wasn't locked.  Oops?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »
I think the only door that was ever locked was the one which [spoiler]Liz kept locked to avoid a scandal!  [/spoiler] Glad I could make you laugh Midnite!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
This was the episode when we found out that Jenny was a gypsy and she and Magda were sisters! [milestone]

Quentin looked quite handsome at the beginning, when he was standing by the tree with Collinwood by day in the background. [luv] That scene was so fake, though! You could tell that it was a picture and he wasn't really there. Good effect for the time, though, as Taeylor said. [ghost_wink]

Another milestone: Jenny found Barnabas's coffin. [milestone] Pretty careless of Barnabas to go downstairs without locking the door.

It was sad to see Magda and Jenny together. Magda and Sandor were genuinely concerned for her. They assumed that she went away, but she was there the whole time. [ghost_sad]

Hooray for Beth! [cheer] She had a backbone! I enjoyed the scenes between her and Quentin. She had morals which caused her to not want Jenny dead, even though things would be better for her and Quentin if she was dead. Jenny wouldn't let him ruin their lives by killing Jenny.  [ghost_nowink]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 05:07:36 PM »
Interesting that that's the first time he's mentioning marriage.
I was thinking to myself that Quentin was being a little clumsy there, offering to marry Beth once he had killed Jenny.  It's too easy for Beth to imagine Quentin killing her in order to be free to marry a third wife.

I'm not overly impressed by Quentin's capitulation to Beth.  He promised to stop looking for Jenny if Beth would sleep with him, and now here he is planning to kill Jenny.  His word is worth nothing.

This was the episode when we found out that Jenny was a gypsy and she and Magda were sisters!
Yes, this is the episode in which Magda develops into something more than a stereotypical money-grabbing gypsy.

Quentin looked quite handsome at the beginning, when he was standing by the tree with Collinwood by day in the background.  That scene was so fake, though!
Sure it was fake, like so much on Dark Shadows.  It was still good to see, reminiscent of the good old days when they had some outdoor filming.

Something I've been thinking about in this round of watching is that maybe Quentin went after Laura when Edward first married her, and Laura rejected him - haughtily, as is Laura's wont.  And then one reason Quentin married Jenny was to show Laura he didn't care.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 02:10:03 AM »
Something I've been thinking about in this round of watching is that maybe Quentin went after Laura when Edward first married her, and Laura rejected him - haughtily, as is Laura's wont.  And then one reason Quentin married Jenny was to show Laura he didn't care.

That idea has potential.  There's also a few variations that might work as well.  One I remember that someone DID use as a premise for a series of stories from old WODS (now posted on Fanfiction.net) took a far more unsavory take on the Quentin-Laura relationship.  Apparently the author was aware that a number of the stereotypical dark and dangerous rake characteristics (think Heathcliff, etc.) that TPTB cheerfully stole for Quentin are also ways that early sexual abuse evidences: the womanizing, the liquor, the mistrust and bad treatment of women are a few of those.  That author postulated that Laura had gone after Quentin soon after he hit puberty, and that he fathered Jamison. (The setup I mentioned is the backstory for a number of stories of Jamison and Roger and their experiences with the werewolf curse). Their explanation for the marriage to Jenny was it was his attempt to try and break away from Laura -- but then she worked on the marriage, and let Quentin see that her next lust object was Jamison. (There's a lot more to it, but trust me, the motivations and plotting does hold together so you can buy this.)

Not a pretty thought by any means.  I'd read this story a few years ago, then reread the series a year or so ago.  The second reading took place after some time working in child welfare.  The way it's presented, and the behaviours and motivations the author uses hang together to a really scary degree.  And rewatching the episodes lately, I saw a number of interchanges where Quentin's statements and comments could be interpreted to reinforce it, though it's clearly NOT what anyone intended at the time.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics