Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0743  (Read 2425 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0743
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:43:02 PM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0743
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:28:31 AM »
Very nice montage in the beginning.  DAYUM David Selby is one hot hunk of man!  I can't take it.  I really enjoy he and Barnabas working together.  Mutton Chops...faint....

Great color to the Old House as it is so vivid!  Love the furniture in particular the swivel green chair and the round purple couch. 1897 is on fire---DS at it's best in the later years--and well Laura in the mix! Good to see Laura again.  Does it bother you guys that the Phoenix isn't born on the normal time clock?  Did the first Laura say the Phoenix was only reborn every hundred years?  I can't remember as I have only watched those eps once. Diana is a gorgeous woman and a great actress.  I love when Quentin comes swaggering in the cottage (that Laura seems to love in all her incarnations) with his hand on his hip.  I am sorry to rehash but: HOTNESSS!! LOL

Crazy Jenny is by far my favorite character that MC plays!

Man Selby is a performer, dead on today with some amazing acting!

Great episode!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:48:47 AM »
It seems to me they finally got the color right at this point.   In 1968 it looked too bright and washed-out somehow.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:19:42 PM »
True.  I just watched the first color episode for the first time. The color was weird.   I had of course saw 1795 and a very small portion of pre Barney but not these early Barney episodes.  I am like a kid in a candy store. 

On Topic:  This really was a fabulous episode all around!

Off Topic:  Another thing about The Leviathans &  Parallel Time (I love)  is the brillant color!     
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:57:54 AM »
Very nice montage in the beginning.  DAYUM David Selby is one hot hunk of man!  I can't take it.  I really enjoy he and Barnabas working together.  Mutton Chops...faint....    [faint2] ... I love when Quentin comes swaggering in the cottage (that Laura seems to love in all her incarnations) with his hand on his hip.  I am sorry to rehash but: HOTNESSS!! LOL

Don't hold back, Taeylor. Tell us how you REALLY feel....  [easter_wink] [easter_evil]  [rofl10]

Anyone else getting the feeling that Taeylor might want to be careful about watching certain OTHER of Selby's roles --  unless he has a Coronary ICU unit nearby.   [easter_grin]       [91a2]

Great episode, as everyone's said.  All the actors are at the top of their game, and the script is well done.

Wonderful  scenes between  Barnabas and Quentin, proving the old adage that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.  Laura very quickly getting Dirk to do what's needed to put a smokescreen on it.  Hmm, the lady of the house and the gamekeeper.  Wonder if they meant the allusion to Lady Chatterly's Lover

Laura doesn't waste much time before she decides poor Jenny is the perfect tool to use.  I'm sensing she really enjoys the idea, and I wonder if its as much a dislike of Jenny as it is glee to get Quentin.  Again, a real sociopath, using Jenny without a second thought.  Dirk is of course at this point her Renfield; if she says jump, he says how high.  I'm wondering if the "normal" pre Laura Dirk would have behaved any better, considering how nasty he was to Jenny before.

Poor Jenny. If you think about it this is -- at least-- the 2nd time she's been done dirt by Laura.   [sad5]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:22:30 PM »
Wonderful comments, guys and gal!

There was never an indication in the present day that Barnabas was told about Roger's wife.  And when Quentin told him that he saw the 1897 Laura consumed by flames but that somehow she came back for her children, Barnabas' reaction clearly showed that he did not find the scenario at all familiar.  So although it's odd that Vicki or Carolyn or someone else didn't fill him in at some point on what the present-day Laura nearly pulled off in the fishing shack before his release, at least the writers are being consistent.

From the opening voiceover:  "Mysteries have begun here in the past that will affect the lives of all who live in the present. ... The motive behind [Laura's] return and the dark secrets of her past represent a threat to the entire Collins family."
And Barnabas later repeats, in his conversation with Quentin, that Laura presents a threat to the future of the family.  Does this mean that she was not there in the original timeline?  Or, since we know that David survived in the unchanged past, is she more of a threat now?  If either of these is what the writers were getting at, then I can't think of anything that Barnabas may have done that would cause Laura to be there, or to change what's to come for her.  Or is Barnabas just deluding himself?

I found it terribly funny that they had to move the superimposed body of Laura after she fainted in order to get her clear of the brick hearth.

Couldn't the family get Jenny's dress sewn after it was torn?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
We get another shot of RD with hands all over Laura and then shaking her awake.  The writers had to be aware of his tendencies so a person must wonder did they write the scenes to see how far he'd take it.  We now know that Laura who apparently never showed much interest in her children now wants to take them away, but after she told Edward she was back for good and had nowhere to go.  So where will she take them and how will they live?  It doesn't appear that Quentin told the others he saw Laura consumed by flames. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
This was the first time we saw Quentin refuse a drink! This also was the first time that Quentin and Barnabas worked together against a common enemy. [milestone]

I noticed at the end of the previous episode, the candles were short; but at the beginning of this episode, the candles were new. [signerror]

Yes, indeed, Taeylor, Quentin looked quite handsome in this episode, as usual! [luv] It was great to see Quentin and Barnabas working together. [ghost_smiley]  Indeed, Barnabas just missed the 1967 Laura. It would have helped Barnabas understand  the 1897 Laura's motives if he had known the 1967 Laura. 

I found it terribly funny that they had to move the superimposed body of Laura after she fainted in order to get her clear of the brick hearth.
I thought so, too! That fainting scene was really fake! [ghost_shocked]

Under Laura's power, Dirk couldn't help but tell Laura all about Jenny. Laura sure didn't waste any time! I enjoyed the scenes of Laura talking to Jenny and Laura was nowhere to be found; it was just her voice. Pretty spooky! MW did a fabulous job. Poor Jenny really had lost her mind on this day, thinking it was the date of Quentin's funeral.  [ghost_wacko]

Crazy Jenny is by far my favorite character that MC plays!
I think you made a mistake, Taeylor. It's not MC, it's MW (Marie Wallace). I knew who you meant, though. [winkg] Jenny is my favorite MW character, too. [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 06:28:10 PM »
It was typo Sally. Thank for pointing that out.  I love Jenny and Marie Wallace both! :)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Hmm, the lady of the house and the gamekeeper.  Wonder if they meant the allusion to Lady Chatterly's Lover?
Ooh, nice thought.  OT PS: I hate that book.

Laura doesn't waste much time before she decides poor Jenny is the perfect tool to use.
Yes, indeed, Laura couldn't even spare a "Poor thing" before planning how to use Jenny.  And I thought it was particularly cruel of Laura to send voices in the head to an insane person.  That was one thing that Jenny had been spared up until now.

So although it's odd that Vicki or Carolyn or someone else didn't fill him in at some point on what the present-day Laura nearly pulled off in the fishing shack before his release, at least the writers are being consistent.
It doesn't seem terribly odd to me.  Aside from the standard Collins practise of forgetting every supernatural phenomenon after it's been disposed of, I'm figuring it would natural for them not to want to talk about Laura too much.  The whole thing would have been so strange (remember, it was early in the show, before the supernatural was natural) that they might have had an uneasy feeling that they must be remembering it wrong, or something.  (Note: as I think I mentioned a few episodes ago, I still haven't finished watching the 1967 Laura storyline, so I'm just surmising.)

Poor Jenny really had lost her mind on this day, thinking it was the date of Quentin's funeral.
I was wondering if Jenny woke up every morning thinking it was the date of Quentin's funeral.

It occurred to me yesterday that Quentin could easily have believed, when he burst into the Old House and found Barnabas talking with 1700s Laura, that Barnabas was, like Dirk, a minion of Laura's - or even that Laura was a minion of Barnabas's.  It might be complicated to string out a subplot like that, but I'm sure the writers would have been capable of it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »
Quote from: Lydia
It doesn't seem terribly odd to me.  Aside from the standard Collins practise of forgetting every supernatural phenomenon after it's been disposed of, I'm figuring it would natural for them not to want to talk about Laura too much.  The whole thing would have been so strange (remember, it was early in the show, before the supernatural was natural) that they might have had an uneasy feeling that they must be remembering it wrong, or something.  (Note: as I think I mentioned a few episodes ago, I still haven't finished watching the 1967 Laura storyline, so I'm just surmising.)

I am doing the WP and watching DS in order concurrently.  I have been buying the DVDS as I can and am now in 1968 Adam/Dream Curse storyline.  When Roger married Cassandra Liz remarked that he wasn't even divorced from Laura.   It was a throwaway liine but nice to hear the acknowledgment!! 

I just thought I would point this out.  They didn't go into any detail about her besides that she was "dead" by all accountants!  So I can see what you are saying Lydia. :)

BTW...Lydia I personally think the Phoenix storyline is one of the BEST.  I hope you enjoy it!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 04:58:47 AM »
Dirk, a gamekeeper??

Aside from the standard Collins practise of forgetting every supernatural phenomenon after it's been disposed of, I'm figuring it would natural for them not to want to talk about Laura too much.  The whole thing would have been so strange (remember, it was early in the show, before the supernatural was natural) that they might have had an uneasy feeling that they must be remembering it wrong, or something.  (Note: as I think I mentioned a few episodes ago, I still haven't finished watching the 1967 Laura storyline, so I'm just surmising.)

I wouldn't expect Liz or Roger to mention Laura to Barnabas, but how about Vicki (who seemed to launch into a Foundling Home story at the drop of a hat) or Joe, Mrs. Johnson, Maggie, her Pop after one too many, Burke, or Carolyn [spoiler]while under his thrall?[/spoiler] They all knew Laura, and it wasn't long before Barn's release that she went away.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »
Dirk, a gamekeeper??

I meant groundskeeper.  But LOL the analogy COULD stilll work.... [ghost_wink].  What they had him doing seemed to combine some of both sets of duties.

I wouldn't expect Liz or Roger to mention Laura to Barnabas, but how about Vicki (who seemed to launch into a Foundling Home story at the drop of a hat) or Joe, Mrs. Johnson, Maggie, her Pop after one too many, Burke, or Carolyn [spoiler]while under his thrall?[/spoiler] They all knew Laura, and it wasn't long before Barn's release that she went away.

You do have to wonder.  Considering how everyone gossipped about everything, it is odd that Barn hadn't heard a THING about the odd return and departure of Roger's wife.  Fresh unusual news is probably very thin on the ground in Collinsport, much less Collinwood.

Lydia -- loved your theory about Q possibly believing Laura and Barn were in cahoots somehow.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »
Considering how everyone gossipped about everything, it is odd that Barn hadn't heard a THING about the odd return and departure of Roger's wife.
But remember, Barnabas plugged up the best source of gossip in town when he started brainwashing Maggie into thinking she was Josette.  By the time Maggie came out of that, Laura was ancient history.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 05:03:05 AM »
Although she was not one to gossip, Mrs. Johnson seemed like a good source to anyone who set foot in Collinwood.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times