Author Topic: Dark Shadows: the First Year?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows: the First Year?
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »
Has anyone on here ever purchased the book Dark Shadows: the First Year?  I saw an ad for it on one of the Laura Collins DVDs last night and am intrigued.  Great cover, and the photo selection looks boss.

This one is available only through the DS Festival--and for all I know may now be OP.  I think the book came out around 2007--maybe earlier.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows: the First Year?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
I seem to recall asking about this in the past but I couldn't find my query or replies to it in a Forums search, so maybe it was via a PM. I've had my eye on this for a while now and am eager to purchase it as I am a pre Barn freak. Maybe I'm nuts but my impression (via my phantom query) was that it was a gussied up version a DS coordinate that never got published and IIRC, the coordinates were less than stellar publications. From what I recall during the Vegas Fest (that was a fun time!) is that the coordinates were pretty much photocopied works. Not what I am interested in. I want glossy pics and lots of them, lol.

Sorry, T, I know this is of no help to you but I couldn't stop myself from replying. I am so curious about this book and I got all excited, lol. Hugz...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
Hey darlin',

I should have included this link in my original post, but y'know, Momma always said I was a bit "slow" ...

http://www.darkshadowsfestival.com/page06.htm

It doesn't say what the format is (i.e. glossy paper or plain) but it does state "full color cover"!  There were a few color candid shots from 1966 included in some previous PomPress books.

The Ann Wilson episode guide I use is in a volume entitled Dark Shadows Memories which is supposed to be an update of the old "My Scrapbook Memories" but is a completely new work.

And I was wrong about the Thayer David antiquing series--I think that may be in the DS Almanac, *original* edition.  If any Thayer David fans need me to confirm this, just let me know.    (Seems to be just a few of us here--we need to help one another out!)

cheers, G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:24:01 PM »
This might be helpful:

Gothick, the "DS: The First Year" book is that reprint of "The History of DS 66-67" we waited ages for.  I bought it for the pictures, actually.  The summaries of the 2 books end within an ep of each other; DS:TFY finishes with #210.  You can buy it via the Fest site.

also, this topic:

DS: The First Year (book)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:32:25 PM »
BTW, it's the same size as its predecessor, and I don't have my copy with me but I'm remembering it as all B&W pics inside and no glossies, including some candid shots.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 06:34:38 PM »
Hmm, my memory is faultier than I remembered, lol.

I was putting Dark Shadows instead of DS in the search. It was probably there anyway but I was too impatient to do more than scan the 3 pages of results.

I hope I can get this before it goes out of print.

Thanks Midnite, and my memory thanks you also.  [snow_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
You and your memory are very welcome, dom.

I skip DS in searches.  "The first year" (in quotes) plus book brings up less than a page if it's limited to the last few years.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »
B&W/No glossies/SOME candids? It's all coming back to me now... I was disappointed to the point of memory loss.

Thanks for the search pointers btw.  [snow_kiss]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »
KLS' PomPress books are always printed on glossy paper with loads of beautifully printed color photos, and the business managed to do this because all the books were produced in, I believe, a printing firm in South Korea. 

I wonder whether an attempt was made to do "The First Year" through PomPress.  I have heard of others who tried to get their books published with that firm, only to be told that Pom isn't doing any more DS (or vintage television, or whatever) titles.  Then a year later KLS announces her NEXT book.  sigh.

I'll order the book but with the expectation that it will be printed on a lower grade paper which means a lot of detail will be lost in the photos.  At least I can hope that there are no distortions in the photos due to the printer messing up scans of old pictures.  This has happened in more than one Shadows themed book I can think of...

G.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »
I'll order the book but with the expectation that it will be printed on a lower grade paper which means a lot of detail will be lost in the photos.  At least I can hope that there are no distortions in the photos due to the printer messing up scans of old pictures.  This has happened in more than one Shadows themed book I can think of...

That's exactly what my fears are. I will probably hold out until I can see a copy of it and decide thereafter. (And I probably said that last time.)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:41:25 AM »
And I was wrong about the Thayer David antiquing series--I think that may be in the DS Almanac, *original* edition.  If any Thayer David fans need me to confirm this, just let me know.    (Seems to be just a few of us here--we need to help one another out!)

I own the Almanac (both version) and I don't recall this series of photos. :(  They do sound like a treat for a Thayer David fan.

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:23:07 AM »
The antiquing photos were published in the original version of My Scrapbook Memories. Some of them had also appeared in 16/Spec.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 02:43:53 AM »
I remember the photos in the 16/Spec.  It caught my attention because my mother was/is into antiques and I didn't know anyone else who was outside of our family.

nancy

The antiquing photos were published in the original version of My Scrapbook Memories. Some of them had also appeared in 16/Spec.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 07:32:42 AM »
I started to say I KNOW I had seen the antiquing photos.  I have THE SCRAPBOOK MEMORIES which a friend had Julianna McCarthy, Katie Lee Star, Micheal Cavanaugh, Marie Wallace, and Lara to sign! I am so thankful to have that outprint book signed by those stars. Too bad Barbara Steele Sig isn't on it.  What I would do!  Faint!!

I have also wonder about this book since I finished watching the collectors series so thanks for bringing up the topic GOTHICK my lovey! ;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
gothick,

i say go for the book.i bought it in tarrytown in '07.it's quite nicely done.

it's not printed on glossy paper but the quality is decent.don't expect too much in terms of new pictures though.it's reproductions of the same 1966 publicity shots and candids we've all seen a million times for the most part(alexandra,louis and david on the seaview grounds,etc.).but there are some production documents that are quite interesting and some early newspaper advertising for the program.

then there is the requisite cast lists,trivia and synopsises of the first 210 episodes.
they way the series was drawn out in the early days they also break in down into days and amusingly victoria as only at collinwood for an action-packed 52 days before you-know-who arrives to shake things up(some 'days' can last a staggering 15 episodes!).

but i say it's a nice addition to the collection.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.