Author Topic: Tonight's Main Page Quote Capture: Random Thoughts  (Read 1843 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Tonight's Main Page Quote Capture: Random Thoughts
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:35:38 AM »
First thought - I love it. Nothing is more iconic of DS to me than black & white, & Vicki Winters. The only thing that could have made this pic more perfect for me is if she'd been wearing the trenchcoat. If I could own one piece of DS memorabilia it would be Vicki's trenchcoat (missing button and all, lol).

I never remember that the Blue Whale serves dinner. I am getting a good giggle imagining the kitchen and it's staff. Bob the bartender bitching out a waitress who is crying because the cook bitched her out first. Perfect Vampire victim! Could have been a whole other source of soap fodder for the show. What if Maggie had been a waitress there instead of the diner? She could have kept much better tabs on 'Pop', lol.

Mitch Ryan's Burke, & Vicki: I really like the characters. I think he and Vicki were well suited to each other and I really enjoyed their personal storyline. Makes me want to gather my DVDs and start watching again. Well, maybe when the watching project gets to episode one (my fave!).

Thanks for the pic, MB! Reminded me of how much I can love this show.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's Main Page Quote Capture: Random Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Hmmm.  Given the caption, to which my twisted mind imputes salacious overtones, and Vicki's expression, I had some thoughts too, but unfortunately, they're not suitable for the readership of a family-friendly venue *evil leer*.

I watched a little of Laura, Liz, and Roger in January of '67 this morning--and Vicki was on a date with Frank--and I just thought again how much I LOVE this period of the series.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
I am watching early Barney and loving it.  The first time I have ever seen it.  I can't wait to see Julia's first ep! YAY! Gray is on the way!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:03:43 AM »
Here's the capture/caption:

1967: Ep #189 - Burke: 'One of the biggest steaks the
Blue Whale has to offer.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:10:57 AM »
What is so unusual about the Blue Whale serving dinner? It is a typical New England restaurant/bar. I doubt that Bob bitched out anybody. He was just doing his job. I admit he may have gone off his rocker listening to the same songs on the juke, but...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 06:49:07 AM »
you could have contained Bob the Bartender. [easter_grin]

What is so unusual about the Blue Whale serving dinner? It is a typical New England restaurant/bar. I doubt that Bob bitched out anybody. He was just doing his job. I admit he may have gone off his rocker listening to the same songs on the juke, but...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:26:57 AM »
I noticed during this era though they actually played more songs than just composed by RC and I really enjoyed them.  One in particular. I will have to go back and see if you guys can tell me the name.  I am a big fan of music from the 30's -today!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »
my mother lives in portland maine and there is a local place called "jay's" that's a bit blue whale-ish.

the maine part of the place is a bar but they serve awesome,fresh seafood...lobster,steamers,fish chowder,oyster stew and an amazing seafood casserole.
they probably serve steak too.

during the summer it gets a bit touristy but in the winter months it's all locals.we go every time i visit.

however unlike the blue whale no dancing(sorry carolyn).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
I would just have to go and enjoy the place.  I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate seafood! PUKE!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »
For me, the most memorable non-Cobert song on the Blue Whale jukebox was the theme to A MAN AND A WOMAN, by Francis Lai, which was quite popular in its day. I still love the song.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:24:40 PM »
I love that song too. Never heard a version I haven't liked. I remember being quite surprised the first time I heard in on the show, it was close to shocking.  [easter_shocked]

I wonder if Vicki & Burke were together in the Blue Whale when it was playing. Though I recall hearing it, I don't remember the scene at all.

Now I'll be humming it the rest of the day. (Pity my poor housemates)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »
OT again. DOM that picture of Miss Joan is simply DIVINE! :)  I am glad you are posting again. I had read lots of your older ones....good to have you back around! :)

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »
Thanks. We have a great group of cousins here, don't we? I am really enjoying everyone's input. It just keeps getting better and better with time.