Author Topic: First Post/And a bit about me  (Read 3565 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
First Post/And a bit about me
« on: July 02, 2002, 05:02:34 AM »
Greetings "Cousins",

I Just arrived from "England" a week ago and I am trying out the new forum for the first time. So far, it seems simple enough. My first true attempt was shot down by the browser Goddess - I couldn't get a message body screen to post to. I'm all updated now so we'll see what happens once I press the post icon. I've got a good feeling though.

My name is Dom, I live in California, and I've been a member of three (of four?) incarnations of this forum. I know some of you as dear friends (Hi Marsha! Gurl, you know who you are!) and recognize many handles of which I am most eager to read posts by. And of course I will be happy to "meet" all posters new to me. I tend to post in fits and spurts.

Though I have some faint memories from the Phoenix storyline and maybe one or two original Werewolf eps., I first started watching DS faithfully during the 1897 storyline. I was luckier than most as I didn't have to run very far (school was across the street from home) to catch the show. I have absolutely no recollection of the pre-Phoenix, Intro of Barnabas, 1795, and Adam & Eve storylines though I was familiar with some of the Adam & Eve characters via 16 Magazine and it's fabulous photo's when they started the WHOLE TRUE STORY OF DARK SHADOWS feature. I stuck with DS through 1970 PT (on and off - mostly on), Leviathan, & Judah Zachary (on and off - mostly on) storylines but I have no recollection of the final storyline (1841 PT?) during it's original run. I did tune in for the very last episode of which I had no clue of what was going on. It seemed to signal the start of a new era and the end of an old for me personally. I was about to embark on what was to become a life that would ultimately rival that of Roger Collins! But the less said about THAT the better, lol.

My absolute favorite storyline is the pre-Barnabas era, with 1897 running a very close second and a sentimental favorite. Leviathan is another sentimental favorite. I really like the 1795 storyline and the intro of Barnabas storyline as well.

My favorite characters (now as an adult) are Liz & Roger from the pre-Barn eps. I have a very soft spot for Victoria Winters, Mrs. Johnson, and the original Sam Evans - He was a hoot! I consider Thayer David the most brilliant actor in the cast and all his portrayals absolutely flawless. As a kid, Grayson was numeral uno in my book and I still enjoy all of her roles immensely. Gotta mention Karlan's early Willie Loomis - in a word - superb! I really do love most of the show's characters, sans very few.

DS was not at all a part of my life from 1971 through the late 1980s. All my memorabilia had been tossed out by a family member. First I spied the MPI video's at the local rental store. They started at the intro of Barnabas and the store didn't have many editions and I was in no position to start purchasing them. Besides, the brainwashing of Maggie Evans drove me bonkers! Some time after MPI released the Collector's Series, I found them  in a video store and this time I WAS in a position to buy them. And I did! I was so happy with them that I eventually bought the whole video series (and I'm still paying that bill off!). Then came the glorious day I got a computer. I looked up my first love - the Supremes - and then my beloved Dark Shadows. I made my way to a fan board of witch, (I mean which!), Midnite was the first member of fandom to sincerely welcome me to the fold (thank goodness) and I've been revisiting ever since. Somewhere between buying the Collector's Series and finding on-line fandom, I went to my first DS Fest. in L.A. I didn't know anyone then. But since then I have met some very special (not to mention, exceptional) people through on-line fandom. I first met them face to face at the Vegas Fest. Last night I returned from the Anaheim Fest. where I met some folks whom I hope will become good friends. For me DS fandom has turned out to be a very good place to be.

Cheerio,
Dom

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Test Post/First Post/And a bit about me
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 07:21:51 AM »
Welcome, Dom!  From your background with the show, it sounds like you'll be a valuable member of the family! :)

I do remember, probably back on the SciFi boards, and I can't recall the handle used, but I think the real name was Dom, so I'm guessing it's you!

Either way, welcome!
Josette

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 08:51:38 AM »
Hi Josette!

Thanks for the welcome. You have a good memory. My first appearance on-line was indeed on the Sci-Fi  Boards as Count_Andreas_Petofi (nickname - CAP). I've since been reformed, giving up my evil ways (having donated my hand to a non-profit charity), and am now just plain old dom. One thing hasn't changed though - my excessive grammatical errors, lol.

Looking forward to your posts,
Dom

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2002, 12:52:16 AM »
Welcome, Dom! I have just decided to change my forum name - it was my actual name, Chris (Chris_2 here) and I decided that was so boring when everyone else had such clever names - so I looked up the list of "cousins," determined nobody had taken the Lang moniker and decided to pick that one!

Have fun here - this is a great forum!

Chris

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 09:37:07 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. It's real hi-tech around here! Very impressive.

I think if I were to take on a character name, I might go for the name of the cemetery keeper seen in the Laura Collins eps. Though I can't remember his name for the "life" of me.

Dom

PS - I like your pic & quote! lol

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2002, 12:44:52 AM »
It's real hi-tech around here! Very impressive.

Of course you know whose immense talent is responsible for that! ;)

I think if I were to take on a character name, I might go for the name of the cemetery keeper seen in the Laura Collins eps. Though I can't remember his name for the "life" of me.

He's simply the "caretaker", which I think would make a cute name, and an appropriate one too. :D

With dom's blessing, I'm moving this topic to Current Talk so that it can be read by others that don't (perish the thought! ;)) read the Testing board.

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2002, 03:58:14 AM »
Welcome Dom! I joined this board a back in April, and I love it! It is a very friendly and enjoyable place and Midnite and MB do a wonderful job running it. I don't have a character name either, I just use my real name.

I am 16 years old and will be a junior this coming school year. I live in northwestern Ohio. I discovered Dark Shadows in 1999. Since then I have been addicted!  ;D

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2002, 05:43:46 AM »

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Lindsey.

Now that you're addicted, who's you're favorite character? I noticed you chose a picture of Cassandra as your avatar. Gotta love that wig and her flair for fashion, lol. Do you have a favorite storyline?

Dom

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2002, 08:51:44 PM »
Dom,

My favorite character is Angelique. The Barnabas-Angelique relationship is my favorite aspect of the entire show. Though she can be cruel at times, I have always felt sorry for her, believing that she has been hurt very early in her life and has never learned to trust anyone again. Plus, I have felt especially sorry for her in these recent episodes, with Nicholas aging her and such. One gets the feeling that Nicholas likes harming people for fun.

My favorite storyline would have to be 1840. I loved the characters, as well as the time setting.

Though I have seen the entire series one time through, I missed quite a bit of episodes due to school and activities. I can always tell when I was busy when I don't remember ever watching some of the episodes. For example, the end of the Dream Curse I had never seen before. In fact, I have never even seen when Angelique placed the vampire curse on Barnabas!

Have you ever attended any other DS Festivals?

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: First Post/And a bit about me
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2002, 04:36:21 AM »
:)

Hi Dom,

I'm new to this board, too.    I live in Florida.   My favorite characters are Barnabas, Josette & Angelique.  Nothing like a good triangle.    Love the professor, too.

The 1795 storyline is my favorite with the 1897 close behind.  

Welcome to the board. ;D

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2002, 07:11:05 AM »
Welcome, Dom, and thank you for posting such a thorough introduction!  I look forward to reading your messages.

ProfStokes

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2002, 08:01:50 AM »
Welcome to this wonderful Place Dom, I look forward to reading your thoughts and adventures while attending the fests as well as current and future storylines.
I also attended this years fest we may have passed along the way.

In any case Welcome and do post often. :D
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2002, 08:14:26 AM »

Hi Dom, welcome! I was at the Las Vegas Dark Shadows Festival too. I live in Las Vegas. That was my first Fest. I started watching Dark Shadows in the 60s when I was a little girl, now my little girl watches it too. She'll be 6 years old next month. My Mom is a big fan of the show too. I used to watch it with her when I was younger than my daughter. It's incredible that Dark Shadows is still so popular after all these years. I remember watching it 34 years ago. I too have all the MPI videos. Those are sure great to have!  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2002, 09:04:24 AM »
Hi Dom,  Welcome to the group! I enjoyed your very well written introduction about yourself.  I started watching he show way back in 67 when I was 6 years old and now that Im all grown up, Im still watching it.  I have two teenage daughters who really don't watch it with me, but my parents, who live downstairs watch it with me everynight. I also have the MPI collection and watch that when Sci-Fi decides to run one of their marathons.  ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2002, 12:11:19 PM »
My absolute favorite storyline is the pre-Barnabas era, with 1897 running a very close second and a sentimental favorite.

Hi Dom! Welcome to the forum!!!! ^___^ We're all real sweet [heh] [smrty] [smrtasy] but .... crucial question here, since your favorite TL is the pre-barn eps......
weren't joe and carolyn cuter than joe and maggie!? [roll3] [ghost] [crazy] [liteye] Okay, that sounds a bit biased .... who was cuter: JOE AND CAROLYN or joe and maggie? bwahahaha! [sun] yes well it's 4 am now, I think I might go 2 bed [sleep]

but weeeelcome 2 the board!!!!!!!!

~the wired daphne
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^